LEO-S/O' what is your strangest story of something that a suspect did in your custody - Page 4

LEO-S/O' what is your strangest story of something that a suspect did in your custody

This is a discussion on LEO-S/O' what is your strangest story of something that a suspect did in your custody within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by jaredpotts Sorry to bump an old thread but I got a few funny ones These both happened a while ago while doing ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jaredpotts View Post
    Sorry to bump an old thread but I got a few funny ones

These both happened a while ago while doing LP for walmart.

I watch a man and woman conceal numerous PC games. I along with my partner and an assistant manager meet them at the door and I take the male as my female partner takes the female. on the way to the office the male keeps reaching into his pockets after numerous demands to keep his hands visible I go hands on with him and the fight is on. Me and the manager finally get him to the office door and the manager opens it. Right about this time I notice the man has a box knife blade in his hand so I take him down hard landing with my knee in his sternum. after we get him back up he looks at me and says something along the lines of "man you hurt me so bad I ****". I then asked what he said and he yelled "I **** my pants". About this time PD shows up and since it went out as a priority call about 6 officers show up. The argument of who was going to take the case and transport the smelly man was pretty funny. I could not get the smell out of the office for days.

I get a call from customer service about a man trying to return a vacuum without a receipt. They buy me some time by saying a manager had to come up and approve it and I review the CCTV. I see him come in empty handed and walk straight to the vacuums grab one and go to customer service. This is nothing new as it happened about twice a month. I tell them to wait a few minutes so I can make it to customer service and then do the transaction. When I get there they are handing him the gift card an I apprehend him there. when I get him back to the office i tell him to empty out all his pockets (company policy) when he reaches into his jacket pocket he turns as if he was trying to hide something I then grab his arm to see what he is hiding. when I pull his hand out of his pocket he has a big purple dong in his hand.
    Clearly I don't know the law in Washington, but if you're not careful you're going to get dead real quick. Anyone other than an authorized LEO lays hands on me or mine for any reason/suspicion other than to render first aid and they're going to be a vegetable in short order.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

This happened one evening in southern Calif. I was a deputy with the SO and heard a call go out from a local PD officer that he was in a low speed pursuit of a drunk driver on city streets. I was only a block or so away at from him at the time so I head over to his location. As I pull up behind I see the PD unit going about 15 miles an hour with full red lights and siren going behind an old model station wagon which is weaving all over the road. We continue to follow the suspect vehicle for about 5 blocks, never once exceeding 15 mph and with lights and siren going the whole time. We watch the suspect vehicle pull up in the driveway of a house, observe the suspect get out of his car and casually walk to the house go in and shut the door. Now he PD officer and I are looking at each other and both of us realize that it could be an ambush (one had taken he lives of two other PD officers in larger city nearby just a few days earlier) So we both draw our weapons an slowly approach the house which is now dark. We are both now on high alert, as we get up to the front door, we stop and listen for a minute then the PD officer pounds loudly on the front door and yells at the top of his voice "Police, open up and come out with your hands up" about 5 minutes elasp and after pounding on the door 3 more times the suspect finally opens up and looking at us asks in a slurred voice "Sumthin I can do for your obisers"? The suspect is in his boxers, with his pants down around one leg and with his work boots still on his feet. The guy smells off alcohol and his breath could knock a buzzard off a gut wagon. The PD officer and I both grab the guy. throw him to the ground and handcuff him. All the while the guy is asking what the problem is and why he is being arrested. After the suspect is secured and we stand him up the PD officer reads the guy his rights and tells him that he is being arrested for drunk driving and failing to stop. The guy looks at the both of us totally clueless, and tells us thats not possible since he has been home all night and just got out of bed to answer the door. Needless to say the PD officer booked the guy into jail, all the while having to listen to his protests that he was "imosemp of the chage" and we had made a "muspake". When I wrote my PD assist report the Sergeant laughed his ass off for over an hour, even the shift LT got a chuckle out of it and he never laughed at anyting.

See, this is one reason I say we don't' pay first responders nearly enough money.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    Clearly I don't know the law in Washington, but if you're not careful you're going to get dead real quick. Anyone other than an authorized LEO lays hands on me or mine for any reason/suspicion other than to render first aid and they're going to be a vegetable in short order.
    This thread is not about the discussion of various state laws, but since you brought it up I will be glad to educate you. As loss Prevention I have the right and authority to go hands on whether it be for my safety as in both the stories above of if a shoplifter attempts to flee. I am assuming you meant you would draw your weapon since this is a concealed carry forum. Let me advise you strongly to never pull a weapon on a security officer for numerous reasons. If I get a weapon drawn on me I will calmly back away and let the person leave knowing my cameraman is tracking him and getting a plate number or at least a direction of travel, if someone want to turn simple shoplift into armed robbery thats ok with me. Also most time LP goes out they have two people one to contact and one to stand by in case SHTF, a lot of LP are armed and if you draw you will be dead before your weapon gets all the way out of its holster. In my state as well as in many other states merely placing hands on LP or security is a felony. I am assuming you are not an active shoplifter and just some dude who likes to put his to cents in two try to make himself sound smart and dog on security guards, so really this does not apply to you.

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    its a felony here in indiana
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Quote Originally Posted by jaredpotts View Post
    This thread is not about the discussion of various state laws, but since you brought it up I will be glad to educate you. As loss Prevention I have the right and authority to go hands on whether it be for my safety as in both the stories above of if a shoplifter attempts to flee. I am assuming you meant you would draw your weapon since this is a concealed carry forum. Let me advise you strongly to never pull a weapon on a security officer for numerous reasons. If I get a weapon drawn on me I will calmly back away and let the person leave knowing my cameraman is tracking him and getting a plate number or at least a direction of travel, if someone want to turn simple shoplift into armed robbery thats ok with me. Also most time LP goes out they have two people one to contact and one to stand by in case SHTF, a lot of LP are armed and if you draw you will be dead before your weapon gets all the way out of its holster. In my state as well as in many other states merely placing hands on LP or security is a felony. I am assuming you are not an active shoplifter and just some dude who likes to put his to cents in two try to make himself sound smart and dog on security guards, so really this does not apply to you.
    Assumptions are the mother of all foul-ups friend. No one said anything about shooting anyone and this isn't the concealed carry thread. My point to your response was to the effect of anyone not easily recognizable and identifiable IMMEDIATELY as a DULY SWORN and AUTHORIZED LEO that lays hands on me or mine will be dealt with swiftly and as harshly as necessary to remove said hands.

...and put your ruler back in your pocket.

Reading numerous statements in the WA code at apps.leg.wa.gov would lead one to believe that Security Guards ARE NOT sworn peace officers with full powers of arrest in WA state. This one's a real gem:
    Unprofessional conduct.

(8) Making any statement that would reasonably cause another person to believe that the private security guard is a sworn peace officer;
    Allrighty...realizing that I've just drifted this thread even further...we're getting way off topic here so I've started a new thread.
    If you want to continue this whizzing match in public without derailing the original thread any further:
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...59#post1785859
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

My top 2:
    Man enters a Bingo game pulling a knife, walks to the front, and declares a 'stick up'. The game is being sponsored and conducted by the FOP at the FOP Lodge with over 20 members present. As the rookie, I had to make the 'official' arrest and do the paperwork.

Sunday morning, 10am...90 yr old man wearing a 3 piece suit riding a lawn mower down a state highway herding sheep to the local church singing "Bringing in the 'sheeps'." His son took him in hand. The local mattress store sold out of the little Serta stuffed sheep. They turned up in my locker, cruiser, mailbox, pov, ...my baby girl ended up with quite the collection.

Several years ago a man walks into a local bar with an old single action revolver that he had stolen. This was a small old grumpy men type of bar with a couple customers and the bartender sitting at the bar. The BG produces that handgun and tells them it’s a “stick up.” The men in the bar don’t take him as seriously as he thinks they should. I heard one asked him what he wanted to be stuck where. So he pulls the trigger….nothing happens….he looks at the gun then the customers and bartender beat him. The three of them beat him till he stops fighting, leaves him on the ground and are sitting back at the bar finishing their beers as the first responders arrive.
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    lol, reminds me of my smoke shop, the guys in there are the same way ^
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly1964 View Post
    My top 2:
    Man enters a Bingo game pulling a knife, walks to the front, and declares a 'stick up'. The game is being sponsored and conducted by the FOP at the FOP Lodge with over 20 members present. As the rookie, I had to make the 'official' arrest and do the paperwork.
    I have been in a few Bingo halls. Every one of them had an LEO and private security in there.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hillbilly1964 View Post
    sunday morning, 10am...90 yr old man wearing a 3 piece suit riding a lawn mower down a state highway herding sheep to the local church singing "bringing in the 'sheeps'." his son took him in hand. The local mattress store sold out of the little serta stuffed sheep. They turned up in my locker, cruiser, mailbox, pov, ...my baby girl ended up with quite the collection.
    baaaaaaaaaaaaaah!
    serta_sheep_look_2.jpg
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

late 1970's small midwest town Pop 18,000

#1 I was sitting at a stop light on the inside lane of the 4 lane main street. When the light turned green the car facing me also on the oncoming inside lane makes a right turn in front of the car sitting next to it. It was almost shift change and most of the officers going off duty and those coming on were in the squad room, which was wired so all radio transmissons could be heard.

I hit the lights to make a traffic stop. Accord to our PD policy I had to call in the Location, direction I was was traveling, speed, reason for the stop.

When the car didn't pull over I then hit the siren

My transmission went something like this.

West bound on 4th street, 20 MPH. traffic violation.

Vehicle stopped, 300 Block of 4th street

Officer in pursuit-- West bound on 4th street,-- 25 MPH

Vehicle stopped 600 Block 4th Steet

Officer in pursuit-- west bound on 4th street,-- 20 MPH

Vehicle stopped 900 Bk of 4th street

Officer in pursuit --West bound on 4th street-- 25 MPH

Vehicle stopped in the 1200 Bk of 4th street.

Against our dept policy I pulled in front of the vehicle in the 1200 Bk of 4th Street. Forcing it to remained stopped.

I had been running Lights and siren the whole time.

As it turn out the driver was an 85 year old woman.

At each stop I would exit my vehicle and walk up to the driver's door and she would drive offl

At the finial stop when she couldn't drive off I walked up to the drivers door, she rolled down the window looked at me and said. "Sonny would you stop honking at me you are scaring me to death"

It wasn't the horn she was hearing it was the siren.

I issued her a citation, In court she told the Judge she didn't understand why I had stopped her as everyone knew she always turned there, and she was scared to death because I was honking at her.

The judge asked if she had seen the red and blue lights and she replied "Why I did and I pulled over so he could pass me. but he keep stopping behind me and honking for me to go on"

The judge knew her and admonished her telling her to never do that again. Case dismissed

It took quite a while for the ribbing to go away about the 20-25 MPH pursuit.

#2 same city same time frame

We had just gotten a new police station as the old one had been built in the late 1840's the contractor had installed the door locks on the Juvenile detention area backwards, You could open the the door from the inside without a key, just turn the handle, but needed a key to open the door from the outside. Apparently no one had checked this when the new building was accepted and approved.

About 1:00 AM a general dispatch was sent out stating that a 15 year old juvenile had escaped. We found him two blocks from the PD by following the blood trail.

He had open the detention cell and walked out into the Rec area, forced open a window, climbed out on the roof, and spied the flag pole in front of the building. His method of escape was more painful then he expected. He leaped from the roof onto the flag pole and slid to the bottom not taking in account that the flag pole had lanyard attachments where the rope that was used to hoist the flag was secured.

That attachment had caught him at the base of his scrotum ripping him to the end of his manhood. In the ER the doctor on duty asked what had happen and just shook his head when the tale was told, we also informed the docter to be aware that this juvenile had a long rap sheet and we would be just outside the ER if we were needed.

The kid keep asking the doctor if he was going to be alright. The ER doctor knowing the rap sheet on this juvenile told him that he would never be able to use it again as he was sewing him up. Which was untrue

My wife, (now EX) was the ER nurse that assisted in the surgery.

Am I the only one that winced on that last one? MAN!!!! My wife asked me if I was alright as I read that LOL!!!
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
    ----
    If not me, then who?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hk45c View Post
    Am I the only one that winced on that last one? MAN!!!! My wife asked me if I was alright as I read that LOL!!!
    not as bad as I winced at the pics I saw in a class where the BG jumped a wrought iron fence and made it to the other side.........well........most of him made it to the other side.........
    next photo showed what was left on the fence, then the cops putting it in a bag with a shovel, then showed the poor guy at the hospital, face looked like he didn't have much to live for
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 64zebra View Post
    not as bad as I winced at the pics I saw in a class where the BG jumped a wrought iron fence and made it to the other side.........well........most of him made it to the other side.........
    next photo showed what was left on the fence, then the cops putting it in a bag with a shovel, then showed the poor guy at the hospital, face looked like he didn't have much to live for
    I SAW THOSE PIC'S. Gruesome.....
    For God, Family and Country!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links