Dogs & LEOs

This is a discussion on Dogs & LEOs within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Sounds like a good way to train a husband or boyfriend too...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dogs & LEOs

Sounds like a good way to train a husband or boyfriend too
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Sounds like a good way to train a husband or boyfriend too
    Nah, don't bother trying to train them, get a good one, you won't need to.

Sixto, and a bacon joke? wow. LOL. nothing more?
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by mulle46 View Post
    Sixto, and a bacon joke? wow. LOL. nothing more?
    Yeah, I know... it was weak. I'm a little ashamed that my wit allowed me to do that. Low brow humor isn't my usual style.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverLady View Post
    The above training will help the dog understand that it's normal because they've seen those type of people before. And I am of the opinion that all dogs should be officer trained so that they don't see LEOs as natural enemies (loud, commanding presence, and strong odors), but I can't, nor would I want to force anyone to train their dog in a particular manner. What it won't do is stop your dog from being aggressive if a warrant is served and the officers are kicking down your door, nor will it allow an officer in your back yard without you present.
    We've had a repairman come over for the washing machine. I introduced Dusti on-leash just for backup, and after I let the guy in and talked to him Dusti was fine with him being there, even licked his shoes when he sat down to work on the machine. It was before we had Hawk (the lab mix) but he'd probably drool on the stranger and present a ball to play with. I would have needed to crate him just to keep him out of the way. Playing games might work for training him, but he really doesn't need to be desensitized. He just doesn't think defensively. When we've been walking and other dogs have come up barking, he just stands there with his tongue out. He used to be a duck retreiver and he's about as bombproof as they come.

Here's my problem with your training suggestion. What happens when the dog meets someone that you haven't played toy games with? Lets say it's a firefighter instead of a cop......then what??
    With my dogs, they take their cue from ME no matter what the other person looks or smells like. So long as I maintain control of the situation, it works no matter who we're talking to. If for some reason I can't be on top of things, I'm smart enough to crate the dogs for everyone's safety.

If other dog owners would use the crate it would probably prevent a lot of troubles. What people don't realize when they get a defensively-wired breed of dog is that they require CONSTANT guidance because if you slack off on your responsibilities they WILL pick up the slack and make decisions for themselves - to bite when they don't really need to. It's a full time job.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

Its funny maybe because I had a smaller breed but the Brittney I had was not a guard dog. Yes she would bark, at doorbells and fireworks, also at her reflection occasionally and the aliens on X files. But as soon as some one came in she would try to lick them. :P anywise horrible guard dog but she was a great hunting dog, and a great friend to a teenager. Wish I could bring her to NYC.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexHassin View Post
    Its funny maybe because I had a smaller breed but the Brittney I had was not a guard dog. Yes she would bark, at doorbells and fireworks, also at her reflection occasionally and the aliens on X files. But as soon as some one came in she would try to lick them. :P anywise horrible guard dog but she was a great hunting dog, and a great friend to a teenager. Wish I could bring her to NYC.
    Sounds like my Hawk. Great friend, awesome swimming buddy and retreiver, barks at every little thing so much that we have a no-bark collar for him when I leave him outside.....if only he didn't eat like a horse! LOL

But no, as a pizza driver the only dog that has bitten me was a small ankle biter. I'm way more afraid of them than larger breeds, mainly because their owners think it's cute when they are chasing around my feet growling, and partly because I find them harder to communicate with than bigger dogs (both me to them, and harder for me to read their body launguage). Plus when people come to the door they are always running out, while most people seem to have enough sense to keep their big dog inside the door.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

Cool

Welcome and thank you for taking the time to write such an informative post. I have a pitbull mix and a warlock doberman that are both from rescue groups. I have had both for over ten years and they are family. Are they protective of their home and family ? Absolutely. If my wife or myself introduce you to them are they docile, friendly and looking for love ? Absolutely. They have been around uniformed LEO's since they have been with us and acknowledge the uniform as friendly. Most dogs do not have this opportunity and that is a shame for the animals and because of that there will continue to be those situations where officers will need to use deadly force to protect themselves againsts dogs who through no fault of their own are responding to their training or lack thereof. There have been cases in Florida where the owners of the dogs who have instructed their animals to attack others have been charged with battery by use of the dog as a weapon.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

AzB
    What a great and informative post! Many dog owners don't realize the usefulness of a well trained dog, but it requires a lot of time and effort. Obedience class is just the start.

The real issue for most dog attacks is either a family pet that's defending it's territory, or someone's 4 legged weapon that's out of control. These days there's a huge number of people that buy a pit bull like they'd buy a shotgun. You buy a mean looking one, and then set it aside for when you need it. But dogs require things that the shotgun leaning in the corner of the bedroom closet doesn't need. Unfortunately, many of these owners think that a fighting dog is fun for them, and the result is poorly socialized, badly trained, destructive dogs. It's like the SUV fad... everyone had to have one even though the vast majority had no real use. So there are lots of these dogs around, and that means we're going to hear about a lot of attacks.

In my neighborhood we have a lot of illegal aliens. Dog fighting for them is part of their culture. So there are many of these dogs around. Some of them wander loose. Of course, if there's a problem nobody takes responsibility. It's heartbreaking for the dogs, and it's a real problem for our community.

If everyone took half the responsibility for their dogs that RevolverLady does, we wouldn't have much of a problem at all...
    Az

-- Luck favors the well prepared.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    So if I come to your house fresh from the range, have my leather holster on, drive a crown vic and have a official presences, your dog is going to deem me O.K.? Sorry I'll be the one at my house that determines if you're O.K. to pass.My dog knows people not professions.

Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    So if I come to your house fresh from the range, have my leather holster on, drive a crown vic and have a official presences, your dog is going to deem me O.K.? Sorry I'll be the one at my house that determines if you're O.K. to pass.My dog knows people not professions.
    My point exactly.

If you leave the decicion up to the dog(s) the outcome is rarely good. (although, I do trust Dusti's instincts to a degree, if my dog don't like you, I probably won't either)

Administrator
    Heck, my own dog hates me in uniform. He does not see me in it much, but when he does, we are not friends at all. Once I change, we are best friends forever again.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    You "Pigs" might smell like bacon up north.

Here in the south it's more like biscuits and gravy...
    here we smell like the cattle feed lot aroma that blows in from west of town

I'm not going to argue for or against anything in this thread, I just want to say I've owned a dog (or dogs) since I was 7...so thats 31 years now....and the ones I've had in the last 10-15 years I've trained more than the ones I had earlier in life
    dogs can be trained for some unbelievable things depending on breed and how much time you have...and the personality of the dog

BUT...no matter what breed, no matter what living conditions exist...owners have to be responsible and IMO play the what if game when it comes to securing their animals

this thread kind of strikes home since my partner and I had a loose dog call attacking a man this week and we had to put it down, pit bull, jumped the 3 FOOT!!! chain link fence which of course was nothing for it, the victim was walking in a park area about 50 ft from the back fence/alley and said the dog was USUALLY chained up but the Lab runs loose and always stops at the fence
    something failed...the chain, the collar, or the owner not chaining it up when they left the house that evening....but no matter what they came home to find out we had shot their dog when it charged us

no matter what please take care of your animals and their security

just my $0.02, I gotta get to work now
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

I share your disdain for the small dogs 'Tala'. They are pretty worthless and very hard to control in my opinion. I've never seen one that was trained well.

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    You "Pigs" might smell like bacon up north.

Here in the south it's more like biscuits and gravy...
    But for us in the South...it is usually sausage gravy, a PORK product. LOL Very informative and relevant post by the new member. Very good read.

Welcome to the OP.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links