More Military Info Desired - Any Military Intelligence (35x) or Signal guys here?

More Military Info Desired - Any Military Intelligence (35x) or Signal guys here?

This is a discussion on More Military Info Desired - Any Military Intelligence (35x) or Signal guys here? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Leaning towards Military Intelligence, possibly Intelligence Collection or Analyst. Anyone here currently doing this or have recently? Offer any info possible or PM if you ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 22
  1. #1
    Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Tallahassee, FL
    Posts
    1,831

    More Military Info Desired - Any Military Intelligence (35x) or Signal guys here?

    Leaning towards Military Intelligence, possibly Intelligence Collection or Analyst. Anyone here currently doing this or have recently? Offer any info possible or PM if you don't want to broadcast it.

    I hate to be such a pest. I have posted a lot on military choice lately. I have no one else to ask though so I appreciate anyone who helps!

    I am excited again, looking forward to some kind of life and would like nothing better than to get back into shape, achieve something again and maybe even get my Jump Wings before I am 50 years old! Not sure I can get into Airborne but if I can achieve E-5 and get a waiver it might be possible. Would be an achievement for me of a lifetime!!
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004


  2. #2
    Member Array VTLO910's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    NY/PA
    Posts
    152
    Jump School... Ahhhh, the memories...


    Run to formation....

    Run to chow...

    Run to class...

    Run to PT...

    Run for the run during PT...

    Run to the latrine...

    Run from the Drop Zone...



    My legs were beat by the time I left... and we had canteens in our cargo pockets almost the whole time when we ran everywhere...



    If you want it... fight for it! and get it IN your contract... Don't let a recruiter sweet talk you and tell you your "Unit" will send you...

    as a note to that... the unit your going to should be a Airborne Unit... if not, don't really expect a slot to be so readily available... Unless of course you were going active duty and your assignment/Unit is undetermined.
    ::: NRA Law Enforcement Firearms Instructor, Military Veteran, Public Safety Professional :::

  3. #3
    Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    1,881
    Definitely get it in your contract. Regardless of what your recruiter says, he does have the ability to get you an Airborne contract right away. If you go Guard or Reserve, getting an airborne slot after you get to your unit can be very difficult.
    Hakkaa plle!

  4. #4
    Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Tallahassee, FL
    Posts
    1,831
    Problem there will be my age. I think I have figured out I am too old to go to jump school unless I am an E-5 or higher and can get a waiver from my commander to go.

    Right now, if I joined up and went to jump school, I could not make it. I need some time to get into better condition. Its a dream for the moment but, man, it would be sweet!

    If I go regular army airborne is required for Military Police but not for Military Intel. Reserves and Guard do not require Airborne for MP.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

  5. #5
    VIP Member Array SIGguy229's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Kommie-fornia-stan
    Posts
    7,078
    PM sent
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

    martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

  6. #6
    VIP Member
    Array OPFOR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Nomad
    Posts
    4,713
    No MOS requires Airborne (excepting the 18 series MOSs). There are TONS of leg MPs in the active army (the vast majority of them, in fact). I'm pretty confused if you were told you HAD to go Airborne in order to get an MP slot. Maybe there's some special issue going on with them right now, because this is certainly not the norm.

    Can you run five miles at a slow shuffle (9 minute miles)? Can you do 25 reps of all the common calisthenics? Can you do a couple of pull ups? Can you stand having saw dust down your t-shirt for the next six months (I swear I still find pieces of it in my t's, all these years later)... If yes, you can get through Airborne school. The fact is that is just isn't THAT hard (sorry my Airborne brothers, but you know it's true) - plenty of folks who are pretty far from peak physical specimens make it through every year. It's actually SERVING in an Airborne infantry unit that's hard; Jump School was a vacation between OSUT and RIP...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

  7. #7
    Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Tallahassee, FL
    Posts
    1,831
    Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    No MOS requires Airborne (excepting the 18 series MOSs).
    There are TONS of leg MPs in the active army (the vast majority of them, in fact). I'm pretty confused if you were told you HAD to go Airborne in order to get an MP slot. Maybe there's some special issue going on with them right now, because this is certainly not the norm.
    According to the goarmy.com airborne is required if you are an MP attached to an airborne unit. My bad!

    Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    Can you run five miles at a slow shuffle (9 minute miles)?
    At this time absolutely NOT! I am running/jogging/fast walking at least four times a week though. Slow going I admit. I am not a runner.

    Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    Can you do 25 reps of all the common calisthenics?
    This I can do and I do my calisthenics every other day. I am actually stacking my reps adding two more each rep then on fourth rep back to the first count. Every time I start a new day of my calisthenics I start with two more reps than what I started with on last session.

    Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    Can you do a couple of pull ups?
    As of right now I cannot do pullups. This I must work on I guess. They are not part of the PT test so I have not concentrated on them.

    Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    Can you stand having saw dust down your t-shirt for the next six months (I swear I still find pieces of it in my t's, all these years later)
    I worked in a wood furniture factory for years. I can stand sawdust anywhere but in my eyes ;)

    Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    ... If yes, you can get through Airborne school. The fact is that is just isn't THAT hard (sorry my Airborne brothers, but you know it's true) - plenty of folks who are pretty far from peak physical specimens make it through every year. It's actually SERVING in an Airborne infantry unit that's hard; Jump School was a vacation between OSUT and RIP...
    I guess maybe in a few months I might be able to do the run. The Ft Benning site says on the first day you must do a 4 mile run at a pace of 9 minute mile. This I could not do at this time. I have also been told that you run, run all the time, and then run some more. Not sure how I would make a day of that much less three weeks. I also do not plan to be in an infantry unit I hope. I really want to go Military Police and go to a MP unit or get deployed.

    If I decided to go airborne do I have to do it immediately even if it is in my contract? Can it be delayed entry yet be guaranteed?

    Also, I should not have to attend Basic Training. I think I have to only do AIT but I am not certain. If I chose MP would I be able to enlist as prior service and go straight to AIT?
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

  8. #8
    Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    1,712
    Most likely, due to your prior service, you would be sent straight to AIT. I have a son-in-law who left active duty in 2001 and he just recently joined the Reserves and was sent to a new AIT. (he met our daughter when we were stationed at Bragg the last time.)

    About the Airborne--it was a lot of fun. Well, it was fun when I was younger in my early 30's and assigned to the SF group at Fort Lewis. When I was another 10+ years older (mid-late 40's) it wasn't quite so much fun: I had a buddy who was in personnel and called me up. I was leaving Alaska and they wanted me back at Bragg to jump again. I discovered later that they needed Chaplain LTC's who could still jump because most of the guys my age (as chaplains, we tend to be older than our line officer peers) either didn't want to jump anymore, or were all busted up. I also discovered the rather rude fact that in the intervening decade+ from being on status that the ground had gotten a LOT harder

    If its a lifelong dream for you--go for it--most guys can hang with the 5 jumps and are then done with it. However, you might want to check and see if the unit you want to go to is Airborne--as OPFOR said, its one thing to go thru jump school and put up with 5 jumps, its quite another thing to be on active jump status.

    Do an adequate risk assesment--are you in this for a job with skills training with cross-over to civilian life, or are you in this because you miss the camraderie, mission-oriented mind set and the adventure? How tough are you--not a challenge--its just that some folks are physically put together tougher--their ligaments, tendons and bones can take more sudden impacts, falls and bangs than other folks can. How will your body respond to slamming into the hard ground on a night jump when its so dark that you can't see the ground before it reaches up and seems to slam you down? How will your body respond to getting slammed when sudden high-winds sweep across the DZ and slam you onto the hard-packed dirt landing strip and drag you and your ruck for 50 or 60 feet? Some older guys jump right back up and shake the dust off and are ok. Some older guys aren't quite so quick to get up, and then they spend the next week feeling like the entire offensive line of the Green Bay Packers just jumped all over them. (that was me by the way....)
    Last edited by Chaplain Scott; August 4th, 2010 at 12:54 PM. Reason: spelling
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

  9. #9
    Member Array MSteve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    414
    Quote Originally Posted by Tally XD View Post
    Leaning towards Military Intelligence, possibly Intelligence Collection or Analyst. Anyone here currently doing this or have recently? Offer any info possible or PM if you don't want to broadcast it.
    I'm not intel, but I've worked with them allot. If this is an option, I'd jump at it. As an intel analyst, you should get the opportunity for a TS or TS/SCI clearance pretty quickly (It may actually be required for the MOS, I'm not sure). Having that clearance will open up new opportunities in your civilian employment options as well. If you do go that route, make sure your credit and criminal histories are clean.
    AlabamaConstitution of 1819: That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defence of himself and the state.
    The world doesn't owe you anything. It was here first.-Mark Twain
    "Life's tough. It's tougher if you're stupid."-John Wayne
    Sig P228; Micro Desert Eagle; S&W M&P Compact .357 sig

  10. #10
    VIP Member
    Array OPFOR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Nomad
    Posts
    4,713
    A side note on "tough" older guys. A friend of mine and fellow agent just completed the Badwater ultra marathon. Run in Death Valley, in JULY, it is a 135 mile run through the desert. He finished 5th overall, and 1st among those who were attempting the run for the first time. He's 41.

    Tally XD - The pull ups aren't a part of the standard PT test, but they are (or were) for Jump School. You must be able to pull down your risers hard enough and often enough to "move" yourself in the air (though, really, you don't have much time for such things in most training jumps - when you start at 800' the ground is there more quickly than you might think). I don't know what the pull up requirements are these days, but it used to be 6. That said, they passed a TON of people that couldn't do a single propper pull up, so I guess there are "exceptions" to everything.

    The chances are (though nothing is absolute) that it will be very hard to get a jump school slot once you've arrived at your unit (unless, of course, it's an Airborne unit!). They are highly sought after and relatively rare. Far, far better to get it in your contract.

    Another side note - I got invited to the Fall selections for 1st SFOD-D (yeah, them) yesterday. Talk about something I'm too old for!
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

  11. #11
    Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Tallahassee, FL
    Posts
    1,831
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaplain Scott View Post

    If its a lifelong dream for you--go for it--most guys can hang with the 5 jumps and are then done with it. However, you might want to check and see if the unit you want to go to is Airborne--as OPFOR said, its one thing to go thru jump school and put up with 5 jumps, its quite another thing to be on active jump status.

    Do an adequate risk assesment--are you in this for a job with skills training with cross-over to civilian life, or are you in this because you miss the camraderie, mission-oriented mind set and the adventure? How tough are you--not a challenge--its just that some folks are physically put together tougher--their ligaments, tendons and bones can take more sudden impacts, falls and bangs than other folks can. How will your body respond to slamming into the hard ground on a night jump when its so dark that you can't see the ground before it reaches up and seems to slam you down? How will your body respond to getting slammed when sudden high-winds sweep across the DZ and slam you onto the hard-packed dirt landing strip and drag you and your ruck for 50 or 60 feet? Some older guys jump right back up and shake the dust off and are ok. Some older guys aren't quite so quick to get up, and then they spend the next week feeling like the entire offensive line of the Green Bay Packers just jumped all over them. (that was me by the way....)
    Man, you make this sound easy!!

    You are correct I guess. What I want to do and what my body will allow me to do are two different things. I feel excited to think I could get back into the challenge and the comradiere. I definitely have a mission oriented mind. I love tasks. I feel a need and desire to serve again particularly before its too late for me. This is my final chance with my age. I also want to gain skills that will help me in the civilian job market as I have none at this time.

    Quote Originally Posted by MSteve View Post
    I'm not intel, but I've worked with them allot. If this is an option, I'd jump at it. As an intel analyst, you should get the opportunity for a TS or TS/SCI clearance pretty quickly (It may actually be required for the MOS, I'm not sure). Having that clearance will open up new opportunities in your civilian employment options as well. If you do go that route, make sure your credit and criminal histories are clean.
    Top Secret is required for the Intel MOS's I am looking at. My criminal background is clean, my credit may look pretty shoddy but my student loans are up to date.

    Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    Tally XD - The pull ups aren't a part of the standard PT test, but they are (or were) for Jump School. You must be able to pull down your risers hard enough and often enough to "move" yourself in the air (though, really, you don't have much time for such things in most training jumps - when you start at 800' the ground is there more quickly than you might think). I don't know what the pull up requirements are these days, but it used to be 6. That said, they passed a TON of people that couldn't do a single propper pull up, so I guess there are "exceptions" to everything.

    The chances are (though nothing is absolute) that it will be very hard to get a jump school slot once you've arrived at your unit (unless, of course, it's an Airborne unit!). They are highly sought after and relatively rare. Far, far better to get it in your contract.

    Another side note - I got invited to the Fall selections for 1st SFOD-D (yeah, them) yesterday. Talk about something I'm too old for!
    I still have some time to work on pull ups. Congrats on the invite! Isn't it the least bit tempting??
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

  12. #12
    Member Array Tombstone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    NW Missouri
    Posts
    25
    Like VTL1910 said run, run, run with saw dust where it shouldn't be on a good hot humid day. Then after so many years later(40yrs) you realize all those jumps where not as much fun as you thought. When some of your landings (PLF's) were not just right. Wouldn't trade it for anything. "Airborne All The Way".

  13. #13
    Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Tallahassee, FL
    Posts
    1,831
    Quote Originally Posted by Tombstone View Post
    Like VTL1910 said run, run, run with saw dust where it shouldn't be on a good hot humid day. Then after so many years later(40yrs) you realize all those jumps where not as much fun as you thought. When some of your landings (PLF's) were not just right. Wouldn't trade it for anything. "Airborne All The Way".
    Are you sure they still use sawdust? I been watching some videos on YouTube, some as recent as this year and also in 2009 and they were dropping on rocks. Deep beds of small rock like some kind of river stone or something. There was also rock dust all over the uniforms. What I saw didn't look or sound like sawdust when they landed on it.

    Here is a YouTube video I was speaking of. At about 4:25 you can clearly see and hear the media used in the landing box.

    http://il.youtube.com/watch?v=NsQfvp...eature=related
    Last edited by Tally XD; August 4th, 2010 at 08:12 PM.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

  14. #14
    Moderator
    Array buckeye .45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    7,682
    Quote Originally Posted by Tally XD View Post
    Are you sure they still use sawdust? I been watching some videos on YouTube, some as recent as this year and also in 2009 and they were dropping on rocks. Deep beds of small rock like some kind of river stone or something. There was also rock dust all over the uniforms. What I saw didn't look or sound like sawdust when they landed on it.
    First, I know nothing about airborne school. But that very well could have been cut up rubber, from tires and stuff. I know that we have MCMAP pits that we fight in that are made like that. It looks like rocks, but does a pretty good job of absorbing shock and keeping people from getting hurt. And it tends to leave a nasty black dusty powder all over you.

    Not to hijack your thread further, but OPFOR, go for it, you know you want to.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

    Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

  15. #15
    VIP Member
    Array OPFOR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Nomad
    Posts
    4,713
    Yeah, definitely looks (and sounds) like some sort of gravel. See, back when it was hard... I guess you can scratch "saw dust torture" off of the list of things to overcome.

    And yeah, I am tempted to go to selection, but as Harry Callahan once said - a man's got to know his limitations. Because I was prior enlisted, I'm a good 10 years older than my cohort of similar rank, and those weren't ten easy years! I just don't have the back and/or knees for 50 mile humps under 80lbs of gear. Plus, I like my job now quite a bit - enough "cool guy" stuff to keep me interested, but not the incredibly punishing lifestyle that SFOD-D requires. Then there's getting to Bragg, taking leave, etc, etc, excuse, excuse... And, really, you think the Army is gonna set me up in the digs I have now?

    But, yeah...tempting.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Great Deal For Military/Retired Military/First Responders
    By CT-Mike in forum Off Topic & Humor Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: July 25th, 2009, 12:15 AM
  2. Military and LEO
    By Magilla82ABN in forum Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: February 25th, 2008, 07:40 AM
  3. A Way to Say Thank You to Our Military
    By Spirit51 in forum Off Topic & Humor Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: December 16th, 2007, 09:59 PM
  4. LEOs/AD Military, read about gangs in military/ with military training
    By cagueits in forum Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: February 22nd, 2007, 12:30 AM
  5. Why does the military only use FMJ?
    By ENSANE1970 in forum Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: July 3rd, 2006, 02:01 AM

Search tags for this page

can i enlist 35x

Click on a term to search for related topics.

» Log in

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» DefensiveCarry Sponsors