I thought it was a joke.......

This is a discussion on I thought it was a joke....... within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; http://www.wisnipe.com/ Big Brother is not only watching, he's out to cap you!...

Thread: I thought it was a joke.......

http://www.wisnipe.com/

Big Brother is not only watching, he's out to cap you!

Administrator

No Joke...people can already go Internet hunting.
    The remote camera & the "on location electronic trigger loaded firearm" are keyed in together & you can use your mouse to maneuver the camera to kill live animals while you're sitting on your Dead A$$ at home in front of your monitor having a cold beer.
    Cripes...Real Damn Sporting.
    What's Next....spear fishing with underwater cameras? Kill a shark while you're home sitting in your bathtub full of water with a rubber duckie? unreal!

Assistant Administrator
    Love the web and all its potential but this stuff - nope - taking things too far!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

This does not sound good at all.

Now this brings up questions of someone in say anti NY owning a winsnip gun in say TN just think of the fun the lawyers can have with that one.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Thinking behind the Concept

This device is a real working prototype. One of the benefits is that this device can be placed in a US Military location in IRAQ and someone in the Pentagon can remotely protect the area with force without having to be physically exposed to danger themselves.

VIP Member
    Welcome to the forum wisnipe.

I have to assume it is used to protect a small area where target mobility is limited and that the device is mounted in such a way that someone in the room or where ever cannot access it. Network delay times from remote corners of the world over satellite communications links are high. The latency of having someone at the Pentagon shoot a gun in SW Asia means that if the person or persons can move they will not be in the same spot when the gun fires.

Firing it remotely by someone on the same network or better yet same segment is much better. Also how much bandwidth does that camera and control channel require?

I can see some applications for it in government security, but they will need to redesign the areas where it is deployed to make it effective. I have seen some areas where it could be effective. Some places currently Marines would fire through built in gun ports into the kill zone, but this would work just as well, since the kill zone allows for very little movement.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Thank you for the welcome.

Regarding protected areas, think of this as replacing your basic foot solider or security guard. These individuals are assigned to protect small areas either indoors or outdoors. If they are compromised, by lethal or non-lethal force, then their purpose in defending that area is lost. The Wisnipe fits in a metal case a bit bigger then a shoebox. This would be mounted at 8+ feet. When a threat or multiple threats tried to gain access to the protected area, the security officer/agent would be able to eliminate then from the comfort of his monitoring station.

With high-speed data networks rapidly growing across the world, it is not necessary or advised to use SAT for the transport medium. In areas where packet delay is over 100ms then it would need to be a local controlled Wisnipe rather then global controlled. Total bandwidth is around 120K.

Overall it can be very effective in regards to removing human life from harms way and giving added protection to areas that need or demand it.

VIP Member
    Interesting. So a 100ms delay is about the acceptable delay for the system. That is one way I assume? Even with today's networks that would be a tough RTD number to meet over any significant distance. I know our budget is 5ms per device each way. Some are better and some are worse. I assume that you can set a Diffserv for private networks or is it default Expedited Forwarding?

Yes, 200ms Round Trip. We have been successful with 350-400 RTD, however you have to take into account packet congestion at the local level. QoS is a must to ensure the correct target via video. The first phase would be a LAN local level roll out. After the WISNIPE is proven it would probably move to WAN access. We have tested from Spain -> US and Latin America->US and it has worked well.

Another benefit is you would have centralized control over the lethal force at the local level.

--James
    http://www.wisnipe.com

VIP Member
    Just an aside about the website. Under Operations -> Login -> Shoot the last line I don't think you are "firing a real button at the target". Just a typo because of pressing the button in the previous statement.

Well I'm sure the unit has met some rigorous testing to be fielded in a State Dept facility. Is the gun just a standard pistol of any caliber or are there limitations on the caliber due to mount stress? Is the rate of fire as quick as the user clicks or can it be as fast as the trigger resets?

Thats a pretty interesting setup. Gotta love technology. Not exactly my taste but it is interesting none the less.

Good thing hackers are mythological creatures with no ability to circumvent firewalls and passwords. When they get this established BG's wont need guns they can rob a bank with a PDA. I'm not a Technophob but this just bothers me.
    We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
    George Orwell

Center of the World Ma! Center of the World!
    Didn’t Robert E. Lee say something along the lines of “Thank God war is so terrible or we would love it too much?” This takes the terrible out of things for some people doesn’t it? I think this system sucks.
    "Hell of a thing, killin' a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."
    - William Munny (Clint Eastwood in the Unfrogivin)

“The graveyards are full of indispensable men.” – Napoleon Bonaparte

“My Idea of a fair fight is beating baby seals with a club”

Sponsored Links