Reminiscent of the Cold War

This is a discussion on Reminiscent of the Cold War within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Saw this on Yahoo News. What you think is in store for us soon? http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100805/...carrier_killer...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reminiscent of the Cold War

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar

Saw this on Yahoo News. What you think is in store for us soon?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100805/...carrier_killer
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    My thoughts exactly and you beat me to the posting!

Also a new arms race. Just what a foundering country needs to get out of the doldrums and incur more debt. And guess who owns a mountain full of our debt?
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

The Chinese would respond with three salvos of DF 21D, the first of which would pierce the hull, start fires and shut down flight operations, the article says. The second would knock out its engines and be accompanied by air attacks. The third wave, the article says, would "send the George Washington to the bottom of the ocean."

This would be comparable to the sinking of a U.S. city. I'm afraid that hundreds of nuke warheads from subs would ruin China's day...no one wants that scenario.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Seems the far east is rearing its ugly head recently. I guess our nation doesn't hold that big stick high enough like we used too. A lot of talk of action, a build up of weapons and missile carrying rockets all over again.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    And guess who owns a mountain full of our debt?

I was just wondering the same! How can we tell China to pi$$ off!?! They own us thanks to ahem. . . . . someone.
    Last edited by Tally XD; August 6th, 2010 at 05:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tally XD View Post
    How can we tell China to piss off!?! They own us thanks to ahem. . . . .
    Wal-Mart. No joke.

Back in the heyday of the Soviet Union, a standing joke was that a Capitalist would be the guy who sold the Communist the rope the Capitalist would be hanged from. Today we're doing it with every dollar spent on cheap Chinese goods at Wal-Mart.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

I was just wondering the same! How can we tell China to pi$$ off!?! They own us thanks to ahem. . . . . someone.
    bush, obama, democrats, republicans, pretty much everyone in between, and the entitlement generation(people born before 1970) right?

Quote Originally Posted by n3ss View Post
    bush, obama, democrats, republicans, pretty much everyone in between, and the entitlement generation(people born before 1970) right?
    Pretty much anyone who has had anything to do with getting this country so deep into debt with foreign countries.

Senior Moderator
    That would be us the US citizen who buys cheap Chinese made goods over more expensive American made goods, who elected politicians from both parties that supported policies that out sourced manufacturing over seas in favour of banking jobs. Both of these things are succeding in killing the middle class here in the Country and building the middle class in China.

We can not blame one party for this mess, it started under Nixion and grew every year (with the exception of 2 under Bill and Newt) since, and we have done nothing but complain and whine about it.
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Want to bet we have, or will have the ability to shoot them down?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    This would be comparable to the sinking of a U.S. city. I'm afraid that hundreds of nuke warheads from subs would ruin China's day...no one wants that scenario.

For subs there are only boats and targets.

And BTW China isn't the only one with missiles.

Also, checked out the USAF land-based arsenal.

The return to the Hot War between superpowers (assuming the US had the heart for it) would not be limited to one set of missiles and one set/type of ships. The super-carriers of today could be the battle ship of early WWII. A bunch were sunk a Pearl -- but guess what.

IMHO, mutually assured destruction (the bases of the Cold War) is still alive -- but China is not yet in a position to militarily assure our destruction, yet. So, it is still mind games, for now.

OTOH, if you are talking cold war don't only think only of armed might.

True the debt could be repudiated. However, our lose of our industrial base, our lose of our steel mills, our lose of our manufacturing capacity, our dependence on imports, etc are our real Achilles' heel.

IMHO, a "service economy" and a "consumer economy" can not stand as a true world power in a real cold war showdown, much less in a true world war. One of the Nazis major Achilles' heels was the lack of access to oil and iron. Guess what?
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    IMHO, a "service economy" and a "consumer economy" can not stand as a true world power in a real cold war showdown, much less in a true world war. One of the Nazis major Achilles' heels was the lack of access to oil and iron. Guess what?
    We are the third leading producer of oil in the world right after the Saudis and Russians, we have plenty of resources being thrown in our garbage dumps, what we are apparently missing is the will to pay for things that Americans make and to support a tax policy that does not reward corporations that ship jobs over seas.
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

I think we need to find the people who are still alive and a part of the "Greatest Generation" who worked in manufacturing/industry fields needed to restore our capabilities. Current industries should hire them as consultants and advisors for reconstruction of our manufacturing and industry. Those of us who are younger(myself included) should swallow our pride/preconceived notions of self-entitlement that has filled our heads and listen to them. Nothing worth having is ever just given to us, it has to be earned. I believe America has great potential if we are willing to work at regaining what we have lost along the way. Hopefully my statements aren't offensive.

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    That would be us the US citizen who buys cheap Chinese made goods over more expensive American made goods,
    How about the REASON that is true.
    For some people (ok, probably a LOT of people) we can't really justify paying $60 for one pair of American made blue jeans......at least not if we want to eat this payday.

Really I ask, what's a family to do?
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tala View Post
    How about the REASON that is true.
    For some people (ok, probably a LOT of people) we can't really justify paying $60 for one pair of American made blue jeans......at least not if we want to eat this payday.

Really I ask, what's a family to do?
    While I understand and sympathize, I grew up surrounded by poor. Its better to be able to afford stuff, but most of us have much more than we really need.

FER XAMPLE: More than one gun; more than one holster; broadband; wifi'; a few cell phones and multi-line phones to the house so the kids get their own line. Fer xample: A vehicle that isn't 20-25 years old, shared among several families. That's what we did. Grandma owned "the car." 25 years old. Shared by her and her two sons in law. (Ladies didn't drive back then, except Grandma who was different.) HD TV. Three four tvs in the house. Cable. Each kid gets their own room maybe? My sister slept in the living room on a couch. I slept in my parent's bedroom on an el-cheapo bed.

Most of us are so way ahead of where folks used to be and we have forgotten what it is like. And 60 bucks for jeans? Well divide that by 7 or 10 to get the price in "real" dollars. There's a reason being a millionaire ain't what it used to be.

My dad used to manufacture women's blouses for retail sale at $1.99 each. And that from a factory in Manhattan's high rent garment district. We can do it again. Manufacture here, but instead we grow cotton for agricultural export and import finished goods. Voodoo economics with everything upside down.

As for China, it matters not that they hold our debt. What would happen to them if we decided "we ain't gonna pay?" We hold the cards.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links