New Chevy Caprice Police Cruiser

This is a discussion on New Chevy Caprice Police Cruiser within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; http://autos.aol.com/article/chevy-c...atrol-vehicle/ This new police car looks pretty sweet!...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Chevy Caprice Police Cruiser

http://autos.aol.com/article/chevy-c...atrol-vehicle/

This new police car looks pretty sweet!

2. Remove Ads

Not bad. I certainly get tired of seeing those damn blue ovals everywhere, thankfully not too often behind me with flashing lights.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Next year? Chevy Volt police cruiser.
    Well, somebody's gotta' buy 'em!

Interesting. It looks nice.

Over the past couple of years our local LEOs (both city PD, neighboring cities, and county) have all been switching over to Dodge Chargers. Locally, they are not known for their speed, but I got that from word of mouth not personal experience. hehehe
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

Quote Originally Posted by SpencerB View Post
    http://autos.aol.com/article/chevy-c...atrol-vehicle/

This new police car looks pretty sweet!
    You know.....looks aint everything. And to my thinking....it's going to be a long time down the road before anybody beats the Dodge Charger SRT-8 with it's 425hp 6.1L AND good looks. That's just me though....Glock guy...Dodge guy. Take it for what it's worth. The leader of the pack will always be under fire from the competition. The competition is generally one step behind and trying to catch up....otherwise they wouldn't be called 'the competition'. Good luck Chevy....I'm guessing the price will be the bottom line considering the economy. How is a 6.0L with 355hp going to do our men and women in blue any better? Dodge is tough, and rocks can be rolled.

Administrator
    I dunno, Chevy has really done itself a lot of harm in the fleet market with the previous Impala, that thing was garbage and pretty much universally hated by LEO. With that said, a lot of guys loved the old Caprice. I think GM is going to have a hard time convincing fleet managers that this car is worth looking at. I think GM should really push and market the rated Tahoe. They really have something there.
    The Vic Interceptor is popular because it has been around forever and has a bullet proof drive train. There is no question that Dodge is at the top of the pack for performance, but you have to get the Hemi; thats easier said than done because the bean counters don't like the Hemi. The new Interceptor is the same way; without the higher end engine, its a dog on paper. I'm afraid its going to be a little to much like the Impala.
    Last edited by SIXTO; August 12th, 2010 at 09:11 AM. Reason: fixed typo
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    I agree the Dodge is still hard to beat. Its what I drove back when the 440 magnum was the beast. However, on pursuits it wasn’t great because it would fishtail like crazy with enormous torque. Still, it was fun to stomp when I was a young LEO.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Senior Member Array CCWFlaRuger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    You know.....looks aint everything. And to my thinking....it's going to be a long time down the road before anybody beats the Dodge Charger SRT-8 with it's 425hp 6.1L AND good looks. That's just me though....Glock guy...Dodge guy. Take it for what it's worth. The leader of the pack will always be under fire from the competition. The competition is generally one step behind and trying to catch up....otherwise they wouldn't be called 'the competition'. Good luck Chevy....I'm guessing the price will be the bottom line considering the economy. How is a 6.0L with 355hp going to do our men and women in blue any better? Dodge is tough, and rocks can be rolled.
    YES! The Charger is the hottest thing to put on Police Blues since the blond in Police Academy, and will continue to be so... Don't get me wrong, I'm glad to see the Rear Wheel drive back with Chevy and the Caprice (FWD just dosent seem practical for LEO application... all on the books mind you, im not pretending to be a LEO myself) but that charger is just Sex on wheels. $.02 for what it's worth.
    "You will not rise to the occasion and you will not default to your level of training. You WILL ONLY default to the level of training you have mastered."
    -Ruger P345; LCP
    -Mossberg 590A1; Model 42
    -Phoenix Arms Raven

ford will stop production of the crown vic and will be introducing the taurus police package. currently ford has somewhere around 70 percent of the police car market. but i think they will lose alot when they go with the taurus. it will be interesting to see who the new police car sales leader will be when the dust clears.

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    I hate the Charger. It handles like a Radio Flyer wagon with a jet engine. I'm glad to see GM is putting something else out there. But I'm not a car guy.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

The Tahoes really are a great package. The caprice has something to live up to because all of my LEO buddies loved their old caprices. One friend had to be ordered to turn his in for a crown Vic. The Charger seems to be the best built of the sedans that will be available. The thing to remember is this....You cant outrun the radio.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

VIP Member
    for the record....the new Ford package replacing the CV is not a taurus, its sort of in-between taurus and CV
    the good thing about the new Ford will be that things like shotgun/rifle racks, computers, printers, etc that fit between the bucket seats will also fit the new Ford, bean counters/fleet mgrs will see this as a plus since they can take out their existing stuff and put it the new one with no problem

as for the chargers....I'm 6'4" and I don't like driving ours much with all the gear and computer in it, it drove great and is adequate for our work with the V-6 it has in it, trunk space is horrible compared to CV

the new chevy could be very interesting, I wonder if light bars, computers, racks, etc from a CVPI will fit in/on the chevy....that could be a huge asset cost wise, and today costs are the biggest factor, at least at our dept
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer
    not enough space for list, main gear: duty-G17, S&W 642 bug, 870, RRA AR-15; G30 off-duty
    Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

If I were king, the cops wouldn't need cars...they'd all have these... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZ2gi6GE9I4

I believe that it would keep 'chases' down to a minimum.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    That Carbon Motors with the BMW engine still looks REAL nice.

I dunno about the new caprice, what about the Taurus SHO? That thing is a beast.
    Semper Paratus

‎"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links