Camp Bastion, Helmand Province, Afghanistan.​

This is a discussion on Camp Bastion, Helmand Province, Afghanistan.​ within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm looking for any insights here. True down to earth experiences from any of you. I'm seriously taking a look at a contract opportunity here. ...

Thread: Camp Bastion, Helmand Province, Afghanistan.​

Camp Bastion, Helmand Province, Afghanistan.​

I'm looking for any insights here. True down to earth experiences from any of you. I'm seriously taking a look at a contract opportunity here. Thank you. Feel free to PM me if you don't wish to reply here on the forum.

2. Remove Ads

I have been there, what do you want to know??? I also know alot of people that were stationed there so If I dont know, I can ask.

Sandman
    KAHR CW45, RIA 1911 Officer, S&W Sigma 9MM, Savage 1907 .32cal(BUG)

I was there under 3 months ago. I spent about a week there, I can fill in basic answers to stuff for ya, although I was never stationed there, since it's a bigger base, and grunts get pushed out to smaller ones generally.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Got your PM buckeyeLCPL. I appreciate it. I appreciate all of you in service overseas as a matter of fact. I've been out of the service for over twenty years now. Like I say, I'm seriously considering the opportunity. I've been researching the camp with the help of the internet. Seen a few videos of the camp (semi-recent), and I've been looking at the news clips daily. Very few things in this world I truly fear. I'd just like some insights on day to day life there from any standpoint. Now at least I have the chance to harvest some knowledge or first hand experience in these places. Back in the day, I didn't have these resources. They just said we're going, and that was that. The logistics and research were left in others' hands. I have to do recon on my own at this point.

Karzai To Ban Afghan Private Security Firms

Afghan President Orders Security Firms to Disband

Afghan President Hamid Karzai has issued a decree ordering all private security firms in Afghanistan to disband within four months.

Tuesday's decree says the decision aims to "prevent irregularities" and the misuse of weapons and other military equipment.

More than 50 international and Afghan security firms operate in the country, employing up to 40,000 people and protecting officials, troops and supply convoys.

Many Afghans see such firms as operating with impunity. President Karzai has said the companies undermine the work of Afghan security forces by creating a parallel security structure.

The decree exempts private firms operating inside compounds used by international groups, such as embassies. It says all security outside the compounds, including the protection of military supply convoys, will be provided by Afghan forces.

Any unlicensed contractor will have their weapons and equipment seized. Employees of the disbanded firms can join the Afghan police force if they are eligible.

U.S. officials have called the four-month deadline challenging.

Ksthumper, not all contractor groups are of the defense variety, some of them are there to do various jobs around bases, like construction, work in the chow halls, logistics, ect...
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Interesting info though.
    Where would we be without the internet at this point in time? I checked in on the local temperatures there today. 100+ with overnight lows in the upper 60's. That's quite a swing for 24 hours IMO. Interestingly enough, the location is very close to the same latitude where I live now. The heat I'm used to, the humidity I could do without. As far as the cold weather goes, I can still take it almost as well as I used to. Prefer the cold actually even though some of my finger joints might disagree. South Korea in the middle of March (1983) was around -30F. What has always baffled me was that the mud never completely froze. Like walking through a pan of Betty Crocker chocolate cake mix before baking. Sand would be better than mud IMO. The mud in Korea seemed bottomless. I mean suck your boots off if your foot was planted more than a second. If you got any part of you wet at -30F it took a long time to recover. Some of the scenes you used to see on M*A*S*H were true to form. I can deal with the environment.
    I'll be in the construction and logistics. Not security.
    buckeyeLCPL keeps bringing up the "chow halls". I'm all about food. One thing that has lasted me over the years is my stainless steel stomach. May not be the hole it used to be.....my hollow legs seemed to have sealed up.
    I appreciate the posts.

I've officially applied for the job. Wish me luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Interesting info though.
    Where would we be without the internet at this point in time? I checked in on the local temperatures there today. 100+ with overnight lows in the upper 60's. That's quite a swing for 24 hours IMO. Interestingly enough, the location is very close to the same latitude where I live now. The heat I'm used to, the humidity I could do without. As far as the cold weather goes, I can still take it almost as well as I used to. Prefer the cold actually even though some of my finger joints might disagree. South Korea in the middle of March (1983) was around -30F. What has always baffled me was that the mud never completely froze. Like walking through a pan of Betty Crocker chocolate cake mix before baking. Sand would be better than mud IMO. The mud in Korea seemed bottomless. I mean suck your boots off if your foot was planted more than a second. If you got any part of you wet at -30F it took a long time to recover. Some of the scenes you used to see on M*A*S*H were true to form. I can deal with the environment.
    I'll be in the construction and logistics. Not security.
    buckeyeLCPL keeps bringing up the "chow halls". I'm all about food. One thing that has lasted me over the years is my stainless steel stomach. May not be the hole it used to be.....my hollow legs seemed to have sealed up.
    I appreciate the posts.
    Yeah, the termperature swing can suck. Chow is vitally important. I know about months 3-7 of eating mres on the deployments, it seemed like food was talked about even more than women. But they chow there was pretty good, and its all you can eat. And they probably hate it when the grunts show up after 7 months at smaller bases.

Good luck.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Your not joining the redneck special forces group are ya
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Links