Need help from LEO's

Need help from LEO's

This is a discussion on Need help from LEO's within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hi im new to a police agency and i carry a glock 23 as on off duty weapon. I want to use the G23 for ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help from LEO's

Need help from LEO's

Hi im new to a police agency and i carry a glock 23 as on off duty weapon. I want to use the G23 for a backup but im not sure on how to carry it on duty..
    Everyone has told me that the G23 was too big to carry as a backup but i don't have the funds to buy a new gun at this time. If anyone has any ideas on how to carry my G23 on duty as a backup please let me know....Thanks a bunch.

ankle ? I know a bit big... but I have carried my G 30 (wider) and my G 23,
    Not too bad if your pants have enough room, and military high to boots help..

you could also try week side? I dont know how loaded up your duty belt is...

Administrator
    Forget the ankle, no matter the size of the gun its a mistake. Try inside your vest carrier.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    Not LEO, Security Officer, I have never liked this, but try getting a horizontal shoulder holster, and ratchet it so it fits with the gun being snug to you and pointing a bit past your vest in front, then if you need it in a hurry, rip that zipper down, and its there. I also know one guy who got an IWB and a duty belt one size bigger than what he needed, then he put his holster on in a cross draw, and then put his duty belt on, he never complained about being uncomfortable but i cannot see how that would be comfortable. Me personally, I use an IWB and wear it behind my back with shirt tucked in
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

VIP Member
    I'd agree with Sixto and go with the on the vest option, thats where I carry my keltec P11 or 642

then....start scrimping and saving and get you a small lightweight backup! look at keltec, S&W 442 or 642, Ruger LCP, or some other variety of small handgun

see if you have any local dealers that will work with LEO on getting firearms...we have a couple of small shops (not academy, gander mtn, etc) that give not only discounts but allow you to make payments or put em on layaway
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

I've changed BUGs several times over the years on the job. Right now my duty weapon is a G23 and I have carried a 27 in a vest holster. It is ok, but gets to be a bit too much after 10 or more hour tours. It is a bit thick and buldges through my uniform shirts. I have had my S&W 640 or 60 in a vest holster as well, a little better but still not the best for me. Now I just slip a Keltec P3AT in my supprt side pocket.

I assume that your duty weapon is a G22? In any event, the 23 will work in a vest holster as mentioned. You may like it and keep it there.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

I say vest carry. Ankle holsers have too many practical issues for LE work. Another suggestion that has been made here is I light weight snub. On the snub I would suggest a pocket holster to be carried on the weak side. Like most of us here, you will have to experiment with different things until you find what works for you. We have all been thru it.

true, but he already said he cant afford a new BUG right now.
    I agree ankle is by far not the best way to carry. but for a BUG and if you dont have any other gun choices available at this time you could get by with it... at least you have it...
    I am not sure how tight your uniform shirt is, but vest carry might also be a bit bulky with a vest and a G23,
    try a bunch of different spots and see what works for you the best.
    just like anything else we dont know your build or other gear.

I never liked the vest carry method. I have been carrying a Kahr P40 on my ankle for the last two years and it has worked out quite well.
    Proud houlder of a Texas Open Carry License.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    When I was an LEO, I carried a NAA Guardian in a handcuff case. The Glock of course is too big for that, but something that looks like a small glove case, first aid kit, etc. that would fit on your Sam Browne might work.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

I carry a G27 on and off duty, by wearing a loose fit shirt on the outside like a camp shirt is good concealment, occasionally i wear the 27 in an ankle holster.I have tried a G23 on the ankle but it is a little heavy for me. i personally do not like a iwb holster, prefer a owb style holster.

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    Some departments allow you to carry your duty weapon when off duty. Does your dept allow this? If so consider trading your G23 for a snubby. You can always get another Glock later.

2 LEOs I know both carry a snubby in an ankle holster for back up.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

VIP Member
    I forgot to add something to my earlier post..........

we have some officers that put on a belly band before they put on the vest and carry a keltec, 442/642, kahr, etc in the belly band similar to the vest carry option but lower down
    depending on your physique this might be something to try
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

I borrowed an ankle rig to try one time and had a foot pursuit that night(we had a lot of them), that was the end of that idea.

Quote Originally Posted by 64zebra View Post
    I forgot to add something to my earlier post..........

we have some officers that put on a belly band before they put on the vest and carry a keltec, 442/642, kahr, etc in the belly band similar to the vest carry option but lower down
    depending on your physique this might be something to try
    Not busting chops, I'm just curious how one would access the firearm with this method of carry? I know that BUGs aren't quite as accessable as primarys but to rip open a unifrom shirt and then struggle with body armor to get to a belly band seems like a bit much to me.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links