New Patrol Vehicle from Ford (not a Taurus)...who wants one?

This is a discussion on New Patrol Vehicle from Ford (not a Taurus)...who wants one? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; http://www.policemag.com/Channel/Veh...lorer-SUV.aspx The new explorer that is not a truck based SUV is gonna be Ford's first pursuit rated SUV. Who wants one?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Patrol Vehicle from Ford (not a Taurus)...who wants one?

New Patrol Vehicle from Ford (not a Taurus)...who wants one?

http://www.policemag.com/Channel/Veh...lorer-SUV.aspx

The new explorer that is not a truck based SUV is gonna be Ford's first pursuit rated SUV. Who wants one?
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

2. Remove Ads

I still love my unmarked Plymouth 440!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Pursuit? In a SUV?! Uh...ROLLOVER.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Almost all the Border Patrol vehicles dowh here are excursions,the Border is a very rough and muddy place in some parts,the highway cars are Dodges
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Administrator
    Actually, Chevy has a pursuit rated version of the Tahoe. It performs very well, better than most.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Almost all the Border Patrol vehicles dowh here are excursions,the Border is a very rough and muddy place in some parts,the
    Just out of curiosity, how do they perform off-road?

It's a tall long Taurus, I bet the Tahoe and Caprice will own the market in two years.
    I'm not a lawyer or a LEO, just a pantload with a computer.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Actually, Chevy has a pursuit rated version of the Tahoe. It performs very well, better than most.
    Yea, I've seen those. SUVs are ok for SWAT, K9, bomb squad...guys who need to carry lots of gear. But to try a "pursuit" in one is just foolish, due to the high center of gravity. We had a local officer killed a few years ago when his Ford Explorer (maybe an Excursion? don't recall) rolled over during a pursuit - he wasn't wearing his seatbelt, and was ejected and crushed.

Laws of physics will always apply - a taller vehicle screeching around a corner quickly will always be more likely to roll than a short squat passenger car.
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    When I went on my trip to WVA (Canaan Valley.) All the local LEOs used V8 Explorers, makes sense as its snows up there so much. I'd love to see ECOBOOST Taurus take over the market.I'm glad Ford has "the balls" to develope the technology for it, and make it available for the public ( Taurus SHO, Ford Flex, some Lincoln models,...etc) The local LEO department around here keeps getting Chargers, but their the V6 (3.5L ) models, not the HEMI ones. I'm not impressed with the lack of quality in most mopar products, wich is why I don't support the use of the charger. I'd rather see them use Impalas(eck!) or the Ford Taurus.

We'll see,...

At my shop, we have a state LEO who has one of the Tahoes for highway patrol, and special projects thats a regular with it, We're always fixing stuff on it again, and again,..It seems to do its job as it was intended. He likes it.

Ford is the ONLY american manufactor I have respect for anymore, as Mopar has almost gone bankrupt several times(And was bought by a German company, who bailed on them.), and my tax dollars involuntarily saved them and GM from going under.

Administrator
    Yea, I've seen those. SUVs are ok for SWAT, K9, bomb squad...guys who need to carry lots of gear. But to try a "pursuit" in one is just foolish, due to the high center of gravity. We had a local officer killed a few years ago when his Ford Explorer (maybe an Excursion? don't recall) rolled over during a pursuit - he wasn't wearing his seatbelt, and was ejected and crushed.

Laws of physics will always apply - a taller vehicle screeching around a corner quickly will always be more likely to roll than a short squat passenger car.
    There is a huge difference between a pursuit rated vehicle vs a normal SUV. Ford does not have a pursuit rated SUV (yet)
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    There is a huge difference between a pursuit rated vehicle vs a normal SUV. Ford does not have a pursuit rated SUV (yet)
    Thats odd,...My wife and I watch the "Speeders" show, and "Cops" show, and we see ALOT of Expeditions and Explorers on there, and sometimes they have Durangos on there too. Do they make Durangos persuit rated? Why would LEOs drive a non-persuit rated vehicle?

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Anything will be an improvement over the "Crown 'Zippo' Vics" too many are driving today.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghettokracker71 View Post
    Thats odd,...My wife and I watch the "Speeders" show, and "Cops" show, and we see ALOT of Expeditions and Explorers on there, and sometimes they have Durangos on there too. Do they make Durangos pursuit rated? Why would LEOs drive a non-persuit rated vehicle?
    There are tons of SUV and trucks out there pressed into LE service. Its just a matter of knowing the vehicles limits and capabilities. There is nothing saying that a LE agency must use a certain make/model of vehicle. Many agencies look at the area they are responsible for and the normal tasks asked of their officers and decide on vehicles based on those factors among others. A sedan might not make as much sense as a SUV. Furthermore, pursuits are a relatively rare occurrence, with a lot of departments not allowing them in the first place. So why waste time, money, effort etc on a vehicle with ratings they do not need? Maybe they have a traffic unit that will take over during asap.... my point is, there are a ton of variables in deciding on patrol vehicles. All that "pursuit" rated means is that the manufacture and/or a 3rd party has tested that vehicle under the extreme conditions a pursuit creates, and publishes the result. Normal vehicle testing is rather mundane. Pursuit testing is much more rigorous.
    The Chevy Tahoe actually has less roll over than the Charger and I think the Vic too. I'll have to double check that, but I'm almost certain its true.

For those interested, here are some of the results of testing;
    http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,1607,7...6274--,00.html
    "Just blame Sixto"

I think the pursuit rating on the explorer is imminent...there is a Facebook page for the 2011 Explorer, and they announced it on there.

The Tahoe Pursuit Package is usually 2wd and sits much lower with a different suspension, and thus much mor able to do high speeds with stability.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

A pursuit rated SUV is less likely to roll over than a standard SUV...but both have a higher center of gravity than a passenger car. No way around that - physics is physics.

My family rides in a SUV, because it is safer than a regular car UNLESS you want (or need) to go around corners really quickly. Fast lane changes can also be an issue. Things like electronic stability control, wider tires, and a lowered and stiffened suspension can help...but tall is tall, and there is only so much you can do. The center of gravity is what it is.

Hopefully, departments will not use these things in true "pursuit" situations unless there is no alternative. And officers will wear their seat belts...
    CT Lasers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links