A couple weeks ago, I became briefly fascinated and somewhat appalled by the appearance of a new Internet business that offered a sort of insurance against speeding tickets. In return for an annual fee of $169, ticketfree.org promised to reimburse you for the costs of up to $500 in moving violations. Its webpage enthused:
- We don’t promise that you won’t get a ticket; we just promise that you won’t have to pay for it.
- Never pay another ticket again. Period!
- Never pay late fees on tickets.
- Never worry about speed traps or radar while driving.
- Never need an expensive ticket lawyer.
- Never have a take a day off work to fight a ticket.