Looking For Some Advice

This is a discussion on Looking For Some Advice within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So my kid has an oral interview in a couple of weeks for a position with the Border Patrol. The Wife is out right now ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking For Some Advice

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar

Looking For Some Advice

So my kid has an oral interview in a couple of weeks for a position with the Border Patrol.

The Wife is out right now buying him a suit so that he will look decent.

If anyone has any tips for the kid on how to do decently during the interview?

I have already told them to have a firm handshake, don't interrupt, make good eye contact, etc, but I have no experience with a LEO oriented interview and am looking for help.

Thanks.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    "Yes, Sir" & "No, Sir" always helps.

Good Luck to him.

Answer honestly and be prepared for follow up questions based on his answers.
    Show neither over aggressiveness, nor timidity.

No hang over, clear eyed, neatly trimmed hair. Don't get too comfortable, sit straight. Don't bring a 6 pack to the interview. LOL
    Glock G22 .40 Cal.
    SA 1911 A-1 .45 ACP

1- research as much as possible about the job, and the interviewer (if possible)
    2- arrive 10-15 min early
    3- clean shaven, hair cut, well groomed
    4- shoes shined
    5- smile, firm hand shake and eye contact
    6- brief pause before answering the question
    7- make sure his voice projects enough with good pitch - no too low or too loud
    8- must have good answers regarding why he left previous employments and never blame former manager/supervisor for his departure/termination
    9- bring writing instrument and note pad
    10- no strong aromas, good or bad (too much cologne, consuming garlic dishes, beer, Kim-chee, etc.)

Others may add to the list...
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

11- Thank the interviewer for his/her time at the end with a good hand shake and smile and tell the interviewer that "it would be an honor to be part of the team"
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

12- cover tattoos, no visible piercings, check nose hairs
    13- do not bring beverages in
    14- turn cell phone off and any other electronic devices

Distinguished Member
    How about review the resume he sent in so that he remembers what he said the first time on paper.

And, smile!

Help him out buy searching the net for potential questions they may ask and do practice interviews. I did this with my father when it was time for my interview and it helped tremendously. You will be able to pick up on some bad habits that he doesn't even know he has such as, rocking back in forth in the chair, or turning side to side in the chair (depending on what type of chair they have for him), leaning on the interview table, not making eye contact with the person who asked the question etc...etc...

But the real help is by going over some possible interview questions and together formulating answers. Not necessarily planning out scripted answers but building a base for which he can pull info from to answer the questions effectively. As silly as it sounds it definitely helped me out because even simple questions can be difficult without some prior thought. It will make things more comfortable for him during the interview and eliminate the hesitations and ummmm's.
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

Quote Originally Posted by boricua View Post
    1- research as much as possible about the job, and the interviewer (if possible)
    2- arrive 10-15 min early
    3- clean shaven, hair cut, well groomed
    4- shoes shined
    5- smile, firm hand shake and eye contact
    6- brief pause before answering the question
    7- make sure his voice projects enough with good pitch - no too low or too loud
    8- must have good answers regarding why he left previous employments and never blame former manager/supervisor for his departure/termination
    9- bring writing instrument and note pad
    10- no strong aromas, good or bad (too much cologne, consuming garlic dishes, beer, Kim-chee, etc.)

Others may add to the list...
    11- Thank the interviewer for his/her time at the end with a good hand shake and smile and tell the interviewer that "it would be an honor to be part of the team"
    12- cover tattoos, no visible piercings, check nose hairs
    13- do not bring beverages in
    14- turn cell phone off and any other electronic devices
    What he said ^^^. #1 is a biggie. I don't know why more folks don't fully research the places they're applying to. That was actually one of the differences between myself and another applicant for my current employment...and I got the job. If you can't be bothered to do a thorough job with #1, just how important is that job to you? The other #'s should all be a given.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

All good info posted above.
    sit straight
    stood out to me. Body language tells people more about how you are feeling than your words do!
    If you think you'll lose, you're lost
    For out in the world you'll find
    Success begins with a fellow's will
    It's all in the state of mind.

Lots of good advice, two items I would add would be bring additional copies of your resume and after the interview follow up with a thank you note.

[QUOTE]Following an interview, promptly (within 2 business days) write the interviewer a letter expressing appreciation and thanks for the interview.
    The purpose of this letter is to:

Show appreciation for the employer's interest in you.

Reiterate your interest in the position and in the organization.

Review or remind the employer about your qualifications for the position.

If you thought of something you forgot to mention in the interview, mention it in your follow-up / thank-you letter.

Demonstrate that you have good manners and know to write a thank-you letter.

Follow up with any information the employer may have asked you to provide after the interview.[QUOTE]

Best of luck.
    Last edited by Tmag; September 17th, 2010 at 12:06 PM. Reason: Format
    Tom
    Osculare pultem meam! - Kiss my grits!

Well,

He received a packet today stating that additional medical information was needed because of his history of childhood cancer. He went through radiation treatments when he was 5 years old, and has been followed ever since by the Stop & Shop Pediatric Brain Tumor Clinic at Dana Farber in Boston. An incredible group of doctors, the only problem now is that he has no insurance.

He is going to call the Clinic on Monday and see if they have a program for the uninsured. Hopefully things turn out well for him, he really needs a good paying job with benefits to support him and his family.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

More corporate then LE but; have questions for the interviewer. Having questions show that you are interested and researched the position. Also its suggestible to bring another copy of your resume.

Well,

6 people went for the oral interviews today in Boston. He was one of 3 who passed the interview and move on. He has his medical appointment at Dana Farber in an week or two, then he should be good to go. He is currently on state insurance for low-income families and can really use this job/career to provide for his wife and kid. He did get a referral to Boston from his primary physician so he is just waiting for that to come through.

Once he gets his medical clearance then he just needs to pass a second PT test (sounds similar to the Navy's: situps, pushups, 1.5 mile run) and then when called he will be on his way to the academy.

One strange thing, he received a letter on Monday stating that they were rescinding his tentative offer, but he decided to go to the interview anyhow. Once there, he was told to ignore the letter. Some kind of test to see who really wants it maybe?

- Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links