2008 fatal police pursuit & multiple allegations of jury misconduct

This is a discussion on 2008 fatal police pursuit & multiple allegations of jury misconduct within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; http://www2.timesdispatch.com/news/2...gat-ar-515768/ Jury misconduct allegations could affect $2 million verdict against Petersburg police officer Petersburg, Va. -- A Petersburg jury has returned two verdicts totaling more ...

Thread: 2008 fatal police pursuit & multiple allegations of jury misconduct

VIP Member

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/news/2...gat-ar-515768/

Jury misconduct allegations could affect $2 million verdict against Petersburg police officer

Petersburg, Va. --
    A Petersburg jury has returned two verdicts totaling more $2 million in damages against a city police officer in a 2008 fatal police pursuit, but multiple allegations of jury misconduct have delayed final judgment in the case.

After an all-week trial in Petersburg Circuit Court, a jury deliberated about three hours on Friday before finding Petersburg police officer Christopher Womack guilty of willful and wanton negligence and gross negligence in the July 22, 2008, pursuit that ended with two teenagers being killed and a third critically injured.
    Durring voir dire jurors didn't disclose that they or members of their family had been charged or convicted of criminal offenses.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

VIP Member
    The times I have been called for jury duty we were given questionnaires we had to fill out before reporting for duty. Included were questions regarding convictions, warrants or investigations.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

In NYS, EVERYONE gets called. I sat next to a Superior Court Judge for one jury duty ( I won't mention his name but I will say, he was one funny dude) On all the others they sent me "packing" (the pun was intended) because I'm a gun owner........who knew?
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

VIP Member
    I've been called for the "Jury Pool" never got past the voir dire -- civil or criminal.

Quite boring, sent to voir dire, sent back to the Jury Pool room (very spartan room), sent back to another voir dire, back to standing by, etc, etc, etc. Allowed to go to lunch, report back to the Jury Pool room. Sometimes sent home after lunch. Sometimes repeat the circle a few time before being sent home.

Finished two books sitting in uncomfortable chairs.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

I'm in a standby pool right now, but I'm #339 out of 350, so I know what they think of me.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    I've been called for the "Jury Pool" never got past the voir dire -- civil or criminal.

Quite boring, sent to voir dire, sent back to the Jury Pool room (very spartan room), sent back to another voir dire, back to standing by, etc, etc, etc. Allowed to go to lunch, report back to the Jury Pool room. Sometimes sent home after lunch. Sometimes repeat the circle a few time before being sent home.

Finished two books sitting in uncomfortable chairs.
    I took my laptop and a couple movies.........take a laptop and a movie, the entire jury pool will be your friend LOL
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

Had to show up for jury selection twice in the last year,both times was sent home.
    Sounds like the Officer did nothing wrong IMHO,the driver of the other vehicle decided to flee and elude,sue him,wait a minute he's dead and doesn't have deep pockets
    As for the Jurors that failed to disclose,give em some jail time and a substantial fine for wasting the Courts time
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

or family ? I don't know what "family" has to do with your ability to be a fair person in a jury.

I've never seen any of those questions asked of anyone during any jury questioning....
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

I read the story, sounds like they grabbed a bunch of closet cop haters for the jury. The teenagers in the car acted incredibly stupid, and brought this on themselves.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    I've never seen any of those questions asked of anyone during any jury questioning....
    Hum!

Every criminal case voir dire, which I set on was asked if I was or had any relatives that were LEO, had been arrested, had been a victim of a crime. Sometimes the "victim of a crime" question was narrowed down to the category of the crime to be tried, but not always.

Those questions were not in the mail-in pre-report-for-duty screening questioner but were asked when before the judge and lawyers took their shot during the voir dire.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

I'm curious. Did the Juror lie when answering the question? Refuse to answer it altogether? What exactly was the misconduct?
    Failure to disclose could cover both but I would only consider lying to be misconduct. Even a prospective juror has the right to refuse to answer questions.

Michael

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    I'm not up on the shenanigans of all my family members so the attorney would get a "Meh, I can't remember anything like that at the moment" from me.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

Sponsored Links