FBI stings man who allegedly had backpack with fake bomb

This is a discussion on FBI stings man who allegedly had backpack with fake bomb within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/09/20/...Top+Stories%29 FBI stings man who allegedly had backpack with fake bomb (CNN) -- A 22-year-old Lebanese citizen was arrested Sunday morning in an FBI sting ...

Thread: FBI stings man who allegedly had backpack with fake bomb

VIP Member

Thumbs up FBI stings man who allegedly had backpack with fake bomb

http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/09/20/...Top+Stories%29

FBI stings man who allegedly had backpack with fake bomb

(CNN) -- A 22-year-old Lebanese citizen was arrested Sunday morning in an FBI sting operation after he placed a backpack he believed contained an explosive device near a trash can on a crowded street corner in Chicago, Illinois, according to the FBI.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

2. Remove Ads

Watch him claim entrapment
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Remember Ruby Ridge. Badgered the guy for weeks until he finally sold them a sawed-off shotgun, then went after his family. All is not always what it seems.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Administrator
    Doing that is still a felony even if it was a fake bomb. Bye Bye...off to jail for awhile.

So that proves intent, if it wasn't a setup. Then what? Could he have gotten the real deal if he wanted to? If not, I don't think anything was accomplished here.

My $0.02.

This is a victory, albeit a very, very, small one. I have no doubt there are current, coordinated, active, organized terror cells who are intently planning an actual terror attack on soft targets in this country. Planning that's not aided by an undercover fed. I kind of wish our government would go get some of those types of guys.

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    This could be entrapment, but from what I have seen of the case, he thought he had a backpack full of plastic explosive that he armed the timer on and dropped into a trash bin outside a bar on a street full of people coming out of a concert. His motivation, according to the FBI and the friend who tipped them off on this guy's intent was to change Chicago politics and make money by extortion for future events. If it had been a real bomb, he probably would have killed or injured many people. I don't call this a small victory. I'd much rather the FBI supply these guys with inert bombs than let them get real ones.

VIP Member
    Re: entrapment:

Unless that courts have changed the understanding of ten years ago or unless there is far more to this story than we know, it would not be entrapment.

Facilitating someone to do something they already want to do, making available an illegal product (think prostitute sting, drug sting, etc) is not entrapment.

If in fact a friend tipped the authorities off of the guys stated intent, if he was already motivated to blow folk up as part of an extortion scheme, providing a fake bomb would not be entrapment.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Links