Posthumous Medal of Honor posthumously to Pa. man

This is a discussion on Posthumous Medal of Honor posthumously to Pa. man within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I thought Congress awarded http://www2.timesdispatch.com/news/2...t21-ar-516729/ Obama awards Medal of Honor posthumously to Pa. man WASHINGTON An airman killed during combat in Laos in 1968 ...

Thread: Posthumous Medal of Honor posthumously to Pa. man

VIP Member

Thumbs up Posthumous Medal of Honor posthumously to Pa. man

I thought Congress awarded

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/news/2...t21-ar-516729/

Obama awards Medal of Honor posthumously to Pa. man

WASHINGTON An airman killed during combat in Laos in 1968 is being honored with the nation's highest military award.
    President Barack Obama awarded the Medal of Honor on Tuesday to Chief Master Sgt. Richard Etchberger. The airman's three sons joined Obama in saluting their father's heroism during a ceremony in the East Room of the White House.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

2. Remove Ads

Congress plays no part in the award of military decorations.

VIP Member
    It is my understanding that it is "presented" by the POTUS, not "awarded" by the POTUS.

Wikipedia is known to be wrong, but

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medal_of_Honor

There are two distinct protocols for awarding the Medal of Honor. The first and most common is nomination and approval through a service member's chain of command. The second method is nomination by a member of Congress (generally at the request of a constituent) and approval by a special act of Congress. In both cases, the Medal of Honor is presented by the President on behalf of the Congress.
    and

http://clerk.house.gov/art_history/h...goldMedal.html

Since the American Revolution, Congress has commissioned gold medals as its highest expression of national appreciation for distinguished achievements and contributions. Each medal honors a particular individual, institution, or event. Although the first recipients included citizens who participated in the American Revolution, the War of 1812 and the Mexican War, Congress broadened the scope of the medal to include actors, authors, entertainers, musicians, pioneers in aeronautics and space, explorers, lifesavers, notables in science and medicine, athletes, humanitarians, public servants, and foreign recipients.

In addition to the requirement that all Congressional Gold Medal legislation must be cosponsored by at least two-thirds (290) of the Members of the House, specific standards are set forth by Rule III (f)(1)(A) of the House Committee on Financial Services's Subcommittee on Domestic Policy and Technology when considering such legislation. Additionally, the Senate Banking, Housing and Urban Affairs Committee requires that at least 67 Senators must cosponsor any Congressional Gold Medal legislation before the committee will consider it.
    Last edited by DaveH; September 21st, 2010 at 05:43 PM. Reason: remove formating
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

VIP Member
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

LONG overdue. A true unsung hero.
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

Links