U.S. Wants to Make It Easier to Wiretap the Internet

This is a discussion on U.S. Wants to Make It Easier to Wiretap the Internet within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/27/us...etap.html?_r=1 SNIP Essentially, officials want Congress to require all services that enable communications — including encrypted e-mail transmitters like BlackBerry, social networking Web sites like ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: U.S. Wants to Make It Easier to Wiretap the Internet

VIP Member

U.S. Wants to Make It Easier to Wiretap the Internet

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/27/us...etap.html?_r=1

SNIP
    Essentially, officials want Congress to require all services that enable communications — including encrypted e-mail transmitters like BlackBerry, social networking Web sites like Facebook and software that allows direct “peer to peer” messaging like Skype — to be technically capable of complying if served with a wiretap order. The mandate would include being able to intercept and unscramble encrypted messages.
    SNIP
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

2. Remove Ads

Gee.....what a surprise.

That completely defeats the purpose of encryption... If the government has a backdoor, other people will find it. And the whole concept is completely unfeasible. That would require every affected company which uses encryption to completely rewrite their encryption standards and redistribute them. Basically impossible.

Also a huge security risk.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

VIP Member
    This is one of those ideas that sounds good in theory but is way too risky to implement. If enacted we all lose. I think the idea has been floating around for years. Bad ideas seldom die.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    This is one of those ideas that sounds good in theory but is way too risky to implement. If enacted we all lose. I think the idea has been floating around for years. Bad ideas seldom die.
    Dang, with Hopyard I do agree.

He's right, bad ideas, like more federal government, never seem to die although they should.

Biker

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    Dang, with Hopyard I do agree.

He's right,
    What?? BikerRN agrees with Hopyard!! I suddenly have this irresistible urge to sing combayah.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

I imagine something very close has been running for several years already called echelon. I remember hearing/reading something about it a few years back. The way I remember it was, it picked up on keywords being transmitted over the air and through land lines. I think they made a movie about it, so that right there makes it invalid, right?

Fact is, we'll never know just how high tech our government really is, if we did, they wouldn't be worthy. The BGs can hide coded messages inside .jpg images and all sorts of other methods as well. Face it, we're fish in a fish bowl.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

The Patriot Act...a slippery slope we continue to slide down...

This is just more grease on that slope...soon, Big Brother will be totally all-knowing...
    VCDL Member
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Theodore Roosevelt

I must disagree with Hopyard on one point. yes there are some ideas that sound good, but are too risky to implement. This, however, is not one of those ideas.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

This is why I heavily encrypt all of my private emails with keys, IM's are ssl encrypted etc etc. Anything i want to really be private, I take the extra steps to do it.
    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal...

Alabama Constitution of 1901 - That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defense of himself and the state.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    I would respectfully disagree. This is not a good idea, either in practice or in theory!

The slippery slope gets more slippery.

NOPE. I have no trust in that at all.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

goodbye cyber security
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Thanks George Bush Jr....that Patriot Act was the worst thing American freedom has ever seen.....

Yet, you see ads all over the TV how Obama is taking away our Freedoms..... I never saw ONE single ad saying how Bush was taking them away...... Republicans need to wake up..time to vote Libertarian Party boys and girls..... 3rd party is our only hope.... I wish people could see the evil on BOTH sides of the isle...but for some reason they only see the evil in the opposite side......

Quote Originally Posted by fatcat View Post
    Thanks George Bush Jr....that Patriot Act was the worst thing American freedom has ever seen.....
    Yep, at that time all I heard from Repubs was how necessary his actions were and they welcomed it because of paranoia. Now listen to them.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links