S. 1132 sent to President

This is a discussion on S. 1132 sent to President within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The House passed S.1132 and sent it off to the President for signature on Oct 1. So where do I go to get qualified now? ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The House passed S.1132 and sent it off to the President for signature on Oct 1. So where do I go to get qualified now? Anywhere I want! Also, all fed Officers as well as Amstrack LEO's are covered. Here is the link to the summary, if anyone is interested.

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill...32&tab=summary
    Uncle Dannie
    FOP Lodge 55, RPOAC, NRA Life Member

One of the keys to happiness is a bad memory

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleDannie View Post
    The House passed S.1132 and sent it off to the President for signature on Oct 1. So where do I go to get qualified now? Anywhere I want! Also, all fed Officers as well as Amstrack LEO's are covered. Here is the link to the summary, if anyone is interested.

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill...32&tab=summary
    Any qualifications will be by state. More details will become available once it is signed into law.

http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Fe...d.aspx?id=6043
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

It appears that something else this will do , if signed, is over ride New Jersey's hollow point ban for those covered under LEOSA.

Administrator
    Not a huge deal, but it is more inclusive. I'm not sure that I agree with lowering the years of service, but what the hell, the more the merrier I guess.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I agree with that. I'm not sure about lowering years of service either. Ihave seen some officers leave after 10 years that I didn't think should be carrying a weapon while on duty, let alone on their own without qualification and accountability over the heads.

I agree, I see no need to lower the years of service.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I agree with that. I'm not sure about lowering years of service either. Ihave seen some officers leave after 10 years that I didn't think should be carrying a weapon while on duty, let alone on their own without qualification and accountability over the heads.
    That begs the question, why did these officers last 10 years?

If you don't trust them they shouldn't they be "eased out" long before then, for instance during their rookie period. I understand sticking up for your own, but if you can't trust someone, especially in law enforcement , I think that would be a big problem.

VIP Member
    This subject has been around for quite a few years. This 2003 article is by Massad Ayoob

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...g=content;col1
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    It was signed into law by the Big O!

It's now revised law. State implementations will take time . . . years in some cases.

Quote Originally Posted by freethead View Post
    That begs the question, why did these officers last 10 years?
    If you don't trust them they shouldn't they be "eased out" long before then, for instance during their rookie period. I understand sticking up for your own, but if you can't trust someone, especially in law enforcement , I think that would be a big problem.

We've got more than just a few guys around these parts who have bounced from one small dept to another over the years. That's pretty typical everywhere. They work for a dept for a year or 2, don't really get fired but leave just before getting fired, then move on to another dept and repeat the same process, and then do it all over again. One I know well has worked for about every Podunk agency in the county and has been moved along often less than a year. He's been charged with battery on a female for attempting to have sex with her while on duty. His former dept won't give any recommendations, his family has some political clout, and he has gone from one to another for close to 20 years. Another guy I worked to get fired from his dept when he had about 5 yrs on. We caught him stealing almost $2000 from the Police Benevolent fund. The state's attorney wouldn't prosecute with the stipulation he be fired. Almost 10 yrs later he showed up working for one of the Podunkville PDs part time and is now on his 3rd Podunkville PD after being fired.
    Small towns have a hard time getting qualified, certified LEOs to work for $9/hr and too often they'll take just about anyone who is certified and just look the other way if they even bother to do a background.
    183 FBINA

Here is the official information on the final passing of the Amendment.

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=s111-1132
    Retired LEO
    H.R.218 Qualified
    SA XD45C, XD40sc (SA Combat Trigger Job, XS Big Dot Sights)

The #1 goal of police work is to go home at the end of your shift!

I favor lowering the years of service.

Those of you that are against it, I would ask you to ask yourselves if you know some people that have managed to make it all the way to retirement, but shouldn't have. Ten years is long enough to have seen some situations, been involved in a few, and to have ingrained your LEO response in to your reaction to certain problems that arise. Thus I support lowering the years of service.

Some folks leave employment, not because they are inept, or a wash-out, but also for family reasons that are in no way connected to the job.

Biker

I am a former full time leo that resigned my commisson after 13 years to pursue a business venture with my wife. I left in good standing, this was prior to the original act coming into place. If the act had been in place, I may have held off and stayed for another 2 years. But life goes on.
    Now I am in the process of contacting my old department in regards to the update.

As for the comment "Ihave seen some officers leave after 10 years that I didn't think should be carrying a weapon while on duty, let alone on their own without qualification and accountability over the heads."
    I can assure you, that is nowhere near the case for me.
    Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Ok...for those more familiar with the new law as a Rertired LEO... 1> Now I can qualify with something(or someone) other than a certified police agency ?2> Who maintains the record of this qualification,which I assume is still done yearly? Any info appreciated..THANKS!
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

RETIRED..................Sorry, I think WAY faster than my 2 fingers can type!
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links