LEO's - What handguns have you carried on-duty during your career?

This is a discussion on LEO's - What handguns have you carried on-duty during your career? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Beretta 92FC, Sig P226, Sig P220 - Duty Gun S&W 640, 642, & 342ti - BUG...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: LEO's - What handguns have you carried on-duty during your career?

Beretta 92FC, Sig P226, Sig P220 - Duty Gun
    S&W 640, 642, & 342ti - BUG
    Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

2. Remove Ads

Glock 21 / .45
    Glock 19 / 9mm

b
    NRA Life Member | NRA & MADFI Instructor | Blog | Twitter | Facebook
    My views are my own - they may or may not reflect those of my employer.

VIP Member
    First gun was issued Mod 65 but after probation you could carry what you wanted. I still remember that day the training officer who I knew and shot with came to my house, I had worked graveyards so was half asleep in bed when I heard him tell my wife "I am here to get Robert's issue weapon" God I panicked could not think of anything I had done.
    As I came out he started laughing and said "Well you are the real PO PO now I need your weapon to issue to the next class". From that day forward I carried what I wanted pretty much.
    Model 19's, 29's, Beretta, Browning Hi Powers, 1911's, Glock 22, 23, 18. After I became Chief I purchased Glocks for all my guys I carried a 1911 of some type until the day I left the dept.
    BUG's were some of everything.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

The city I worked for supplied the duty firearms to all officers. In 1979 I was issued a S&W model 10 while in the academy.
    In 1989 the department switched over to Smith autos. I was issued a model 4506 which I carried until I retired in 2004.

VIP Member
    Sig P228 9mm
    Glock 19 9mm

A few times, for a lark, I busted out one of our S&W M19s (4" bbl) with a Ruger SP101 as a back up, but I never really wore those out of the "office."

At some point, my P228 is going to be declared to have reached the end of its service life (it has about 12,000 rds through it) and they'll make me turn it in and be issued one of the P229Rs that the new agents have been getting for a few years. I may cry that day.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

VIP Member
    Glock 17, I was going to switch to my Glock 21 at our fall qual, but the department changed policy to 19 or 17 only a couple of months ago so I'm stuck with the 17

edit to add: our backup policy is pretty wide open....just nothing above 9mm for backup, I wear a S&W 642 as a bug on duty, off-duty carry is pretty liberal too, I usually have my G30 and most of the time Keltec P11 comes along as a bug
    Last edited by 64zebra; October 15th, 2010 at 11:40 AM.
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

VIP Member
    S&W Model-28, Model-19, Model-39, Model-36. These days I prefer a Model-640.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

For off duty cold weather carry, I am adding a m21-4 in 44 special to my list this year starting now!

1984 first job, in a small PBC rural town, issued S&W M10 up to 86 or so, then a M19
    Fast forward to 1990 S&W 5906 man I thought I was cool.

Our Dept switched over to Sig P226 9mm in 95 or 96 carried that and still own it btw. ten years or so.
    I decided to switched Depts and started carrying Glocks 22 at first then a 23 up until I retired.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar
    1911 - issued
    M9 - issued
    Colt Border Patrol .357 - personal
    S&W 5906 - issued
    Colt Commander - personal
    Glock 22 - issued

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    I started with a mandated 4" L-frame .357, a 686 in particular, in the academy in 1983-1984.

I quickly switched to a Model 629 after graduation, as I believed in big bores, though I was too proud to admit that an N-frame was just a bit too big for my hands. I am sure some of the damage done to my right wrist and base thumb joint dates from this time.

In March 1985, I reached the seniority point at which I could carry an auto, and switched to an HK P7.

In late 1985, my PD switched to open retention-type duty holsters for revolvers, whereas those with autos had to continue with flap holsters. Having already experienced one hairy moment trying to get the flap open to draw the P7 fast enough for a fast-breaking situation, I switched back to one of my N-frames, an S&W Model 58 .41 Magnum. This sixgun remained my default duty handgun through the 1980's, up to 1991. During this time I briefly switched to several 1911 pistols, including a Stainless Colt Combat Commander or two and a 5" 1911 made by Springfield Armory, Inc. I still have the 58, retired from active service.

After frustration with Colt reliability, I switched to a SIG P220, with the old-style heel-clip mag release, in 1991, and carried it until 1993. Though a good pistol, I had an issue with the mag release snagging on things, causing a partial release of the mag. I then switched to a GP100 that I had owned for a while.

I carried that GP100, and others, until 2007, though it only rode as my primary duty rig until about 1995, when I bought a couple of Model 19 sixguns, and a 66. I mostly used these K-frames until 1997. (I very briefly carried a Colt Stainless Python in 1993, when my GP100 was in the firearms lab after a shooting incident, which was before I bought the K-frames; the Python fit the GP100 holster.)

In the mid-1990's, I also briefly experimented with a .40 Browning Hi-power and S&W 3913 as duty pistols.

In 1997, knowing that a new policy would soon limit us to three specified DA .40 autos for primary duty handguns, except for "grandfathered" guns, I went 1911 again, with a Colt Government Model I had owned for a while, and a couple of Kimbers I purchased a day apart. I grandfathered these 1911s, and used them until early 2002.

In April 2002, I learned that my skinny hand would not always properly disengage the grip safety during a fast draw, as I did transition drills during a carbine cert class, even with a moderately extended grip safety. I had not grandfathered my sixguns, so no defaulting to them again. (I could still use sixguns as back-up and off-duty guns.) This caused a quick switch to one of the approved duty pistols, Glock G22. This was not a happy time, as I quickly reached a performance plateau with the G22 several points below my usual performance level with a 1911 or DA sixgun.

In 2004, I handled a SIG P229R DAK, which had the factory short trigger, my first experience with the short trigger. Eureka! I had always loved the feel of the P226/P228/P229, but had been unable to get enough finger on the trigger for DA shooting while maintaining a proper grip. The short trigger solved this problem, and the DAK system mimicked the DA sixgun trigger in reach and in stroke length. My transition to the P229R DAK was almost effortless; my first time shooting it was on our qual course, and I beat my best Glock score my several points. I bought a duty holster and mag pouches, and after 500 rounds had run through the SIG, it was my duty pistol. I doubt I will switch again before retirement, whether that is next year or eight or ten years from now. I have two spare P229s on my "qual" list as primary duty pistols, though they are the now-so-called First Generation SAS, the ones with DAK triggers.

I do wish some of the gun switches I had made had simply not happened, as I should have saved more money over the years. OTOH, I love guns, and it was fun. Notably, I could have stayed with sixguns, as no situation has yet arisen that I could not handle with a sixgun, and that includes a fatal .357 shot fired by me, that instantly resolved the situation. That may change next week, but probably not. Several colleagues I see every night still carry grandfathered S&W sixguns in uniform, on duty.

I should probably note that I have usually carried backup revolvers: S&W Models 60, 640, 642, and M460, then SP101s. No, M460 was not a typo; S&W did indeed release a short run of 642-ish Perfomance Center J-frames with that model number. I have also carried big back-up sixguns beside me in the patrol car, rather than on my person. I shoot medium/large-framed sixguns better than any other handgun, and in some proactive situations, when a long gun was not feasible at the moment, felons and other suspects have gotten to look up the barrel of a big sixgun while the "primary" duty handgun remained holstered.

S&W Model 66 .357 - personal weapon
    S&W Model 27 .357 - personal weapon (still have it)
    Astra Model A-80 .45acp - personal weapon
    Sig Sauer Model P226 9mm - personal weapon
    Sig Sauer Model P229 .40S&W - Issue
    H&K P7-M10 .40S&W - personal weapon, was the pistol I was carrying when I retired (still have it)

S&W m10 .38spl, 5" taper bbl, personal weapon (still own)
    S&W m64, .38spl 4" heavy bbl, personal weapon (still own)
    S&W m1917, .45 ACP, 5"bbl, personal weapon (still own)
    AMT Hardballer, .45 ACP, personal weapon
    S&W m29, .44mag, 4" bbl, personal weapon
    S&W m586, .357 mag, 4" bbl, nickle, personal weapon (still own)
    G17 9mm, dept. issue
    G22 .40 S&W, dept. issue
    G23 .40 S&W, dept. issue, purchased on retirement.

My BUG: S&W m49 Bodyguard, .38spl, Nickle, from beginning to end, personal weapon, still with me after 30 yrs. Only the grips have changed.

I've carried: G22, HKUSP40c, G17, Sig 229, and S&W 340. All issued except the last.
    God, country, family.

1973 I was issued a S&W model 10 HB, Then to a Colt Combat Commander, Glock 19---- nowdays as an old retired fart I carry a glock 23

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links