LEO's - What handguns have you carried on-duty during your career?

This is a discussion on LEO's - What handguns have you carried on-duty during your career? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was in our local Sheriff's Office reserves for 25 years (1975-2000). Here's my list, we furnished our own weapons so long as they were ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    VIP Member

I was in our local Sheriff's Office reserves for 25 years (1975-2000). Here's my list, we furnished our own weapons so long as they were appropriate for leo work. This was WAY before the Glock era.

1. Being newly married, I didn't have any appropriate handguns, and borrowed my Dad's S&W .38 revolver to use on duty.

2. Saved up enough money to buy a S&W Model 19. (IIRC it was $160. )

3. 1911 Colt .45 acp, carried cocked and locked.

4. Sig 220 sa/da

IMHO all great handguns in their time, I still have them all and though there are some better choices today, I'd be willing to carry them again if necessary.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

I carried a Smith & Wesson M-28 4 inch barrel (Highway Patrolman) when I was with Monroe PD in Louisiana.
    I carried a Smith & Wesson M-66 2.5 inch barrel when I was with Cobb County SO in Georgia.
    I carried a Glock 23 when I was with Forsyth County SO in Georgia.

M28, 29, 39, 19, 36, 57, 13, 10, G19,23, 26,22, ppk, and several1911s. I think that's it.

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    For the old-timers, I'd be curious to know when and why you changed duty pistols. Was it a departmental upgrade, or did they ammend the "approved carry" list?

Glockman... you're just plain finicky!
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    As an armed security officer and private investigator I carried a 6" Colt Python, 4" S&W 28-2, 4" S&W 686-1, 2 1/2" S&W 66, S&W 59, Beretta 92F, 4" S&W 10-8, 4" S&W 64. All were personally owned by me except for the S&W 64. The contract required the company to provide the duty weapon.
    As a Police Officer I have carried a 4" S&W 64 and a Beretta 92FS. Both were issued by the U.S. government. The Beretta is my current issued duty weapon.
    Last edited by Black Knight; October 9th, 2010 at 08:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jumpwing View Post
    For the old-timers, I'd be curious to know when and why you changed duty pistols. Was it a departmental upgrade, or did they ammend the "approved carry" list?

I changed from the departmentally issued Combat Masterpiece, 4", to my own Model 27, 3-1/2". I made the change as soon as I was financially able.

Cool

Started my law-enforcement career in 1968 in Maryland and was first issued a Colt Official Police .38 spl. Department went to S&W Model 10 around 1970. Went into the D-Bureau and had a choice of a S&W Model 36 or S&W Model 10 with 2" barrel. Took the Model 10. Moved to Florida in 1973 and had to purchase my duty weapon. Bought a S&W Model 19. A few years later we were allowed to carry the Colt .45 and I purchased the Combat Commander and carried it cocked and locked. Went back to the S&W Model 19 after a few years because I just like a wheel gun and I shot it very well. During this time I carried a S&W Model 36 off duty. In the late 1980's I changed departments and was issued a S&W Model 5906. The department switched to the S&W Sigma in 9mm in the mid 1990's. Problems with reliability in the early Sigma's caused them to switch to the Sig 226 in SA/DA. Then you were allowed to purchase your own Glock if you did not want the issued Sig. I bought a Model G-19. I carried that until 2006 when the department changed policy and issued the G-21 SF to all uniformed officers and this is the weapon I currently carry on duty. Investigators carried the G-26 but this year switched to the G-36. My personal off duty carry is the G-23. My on and off duty BUG was a S&W 638 until a few months ago when I gave that to my wife and purchased a Diamondback .380 for my BUG.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Senior Moderator
    I started out with a Sig 220 in the year 2000. I carried it until a couple of years ago when the Sheriffs Dept. mandated G21's for everybody. Now, I carry a G21. The other dept that I work for carries the Springfield XD in .45, but rather than qualify with 2 guns, they let me use the G21, so I am the only one that carrys that on that dept.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Administrator
    4006, G23, G22, G19, Sig 228, Sig 220 and varied 1911's from time to time.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by jumpwing View Post

Well yes, lol I am. I love guns, what can I say? There was a time, when an agency I worked for back when revolvers ruled that had a very liberal policy. Carry what you want, just have to qualify with it. So, I did alot of experimenting. I carried the 29 with specials in it, but it was too heavy after awhile. So I went to different revolvers. Then I got on a kick where I wanted fixed sites, hence the m10, and 13. Then, I wanted a backup, so out came the 36 and ppk. Where I have worked for the last 15 years, I started out with a m19 with stag grips. Then they changed the policy to go to glocks so I transitioned around 1996 to the g19, but was grandfathered in to still carry my m19. Then they moved up to the 40 shorty, so I went to that. The policy was that when you carried off duty, it had to be an approved weapon. Then a change of administration changed the policy to carry what you want off duty, as long as its concealed, so I played with the 1911 for awhile. Now they dont like my m19 because of the stag grips cause its to flashy and dont go with the uniform. Personally, if I could, I would wear my Duke gun belt with a good ole single action in 44 spl and call it a day, but that aint gonna happen. The glock 22 I carry now is a great gun, but I like revolvers for their looks, ergos and they are just more classy. I am at the point in my life now, where pride of ownership takes front stage. And, carrying a gun is a very personal thing/choice, individual to the person carrying it. I think its important to carry something that says this is me, cause chances are, if you really like your gun, and it suits you, then you will probably good with it. But try telling that to the suits.

I hear you about the suits. When some of us first started wearing custom made Hoyts, there was some grumbling that they looked too much like gunfighter holsters. It eventually went away.

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    I hear you about the suits. When some of us first started wearing custom made Hoyts, there was some grumbling that they looked too much like gunfighter holsters. It eventually went away.
    Yeah, stupid me. I thought that gunfighting was one of the hats lawmen were supposed to wear.

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    I've only carried an H&K P2000 in 40. I'm hoping the next one will be a Glock 22.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    Wow! good question. I started off with a dept. issue S&W M-28. I then purchased my own S&W M-657, S&W 686, switched to autos, S&W 659, S&W 5906, Glock 17, Glock 22, Para Ordnance P-14, Glock 21.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Lets see:

-Beretta 92 SB 9mm
    -SIG-Sauer P226 9mm
    -H&K USP40 Compact .40 S&W
    -S&W 6946 9mm
    -Glock 22 .40 S&W
    -S&W M&P40 .40 S&W
    -Beretta 96 FS .40 S&W
    -Glock 23 RTF2 .40 S&W

All of those have been issued guns, I've worked for several departments and went through duty gun changes at several of them, hence the large number of different issued weapons in my 14+ year career. My current duty weapon is the Glock 23 RTF2. We just changed to that earlier this year from the Beretta 96, and I expect we will have them at least ten years. So, not expecting any changes anytime soon as I plan to retire from this department.
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links