Good: Officer went for a wild ride!

This is a discussion on Good: Officer went for a wild ride! within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The latest on this story is that they kid who was supposed to be a designated driver had a .13 BAC....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Good: Officer went for a wild ride!

Distinguished Member
    The latest on this story is that they kid who was supposed to be a designated driver had a .13 BAC.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    Education is no substitute for common sense.
    I couldn't agree more, and I have three degrees. The third was learned in the most important and most respectable school around, The School of Hard Knocks.

Biker

I'm going to start being VERY suspicious of 'good kids', they seem to be the only ones who ever end up getting shot. All of these "good kids with bright futures" seem to be the most violent, morally bankrupt, horrible people walking our streets.

I'm willing to bet that when the toxicology labs com back that the kid was under the influence and if that's so then he was probably scared of getting busted for underage DUI. So in the end what's worse? being a man and owning up to your actions or being a coward trying to escape and taking a dirt nap? Is the answer not obvious?

There are a bit more details coming out now. http://www.lohud.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...D=201010190337

I'm a bit confused as to how all this happened, but something doesn't seem right.

Kid in sitting in the car in a fire lane.
    Cop taps on his window.
    There was no communication between the officer and the kid. (according to the passenger in the car)
    The kid begins to pull out of the fire lane when another cop jumps in front of the vehicle.
    The kid applies the brakes (per witness statements) but is unable to stop without hitting the officer.
    Kids vehicle keeps on going hitting two officers (how far away were they standing?)
    The officers open fire on the vehicle
    Kid is killed
    Car crashes

The witness statements say that the shooting happened immediately, and the incident occurred over a span of seconds (15 seconds I think).

There is a lot here that doesn't make a whole lot of sense. I'm going to have to wait for more details before I can pass judgement.

Why was the officer tapping the windshield? What was he wanting the kid to do? Was it one of those "hey get out of here" sort of things or did the cop intend to detain or question the occupants in the car? How is it that the other officer ended up in front of the car? Was he trying to stop the kid or was he just not paying attention to where he was going? How long did it take for this incident to play out? If it was just a matter of seconds the Police department could be in for a very lengthy criminal trial.
    Proud Lady Blue Dog

Distinguished Member
    If it was me and an officer taps on my windshield I'd roll down my window and speak to him. Just taking off seems odd, and then to keep going with an officer on your hood? Stupid.

Due to the damage on his vehicle he had to be moving at a pretty good speed.

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fastk9dad View Post
    If it was me and an officer taps on my windshield I'd roll down my window and speak to him. Just taking off seems odd, and then to keep going with an officer on your hood? Stupid.

Due to the damage on his vehicle he had to be moving at a pretty good speed.
    Precisely. What are kids learning these days? Uh-oh, police, let's get out of here! There seems to be less personal responsibility and more people trying to "get away" with whatever they can.

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    Okay. This is not going to be a popular position to take, but "the officer jumped in front of the car" when it was moving too fast to stop before it hit him? I do NOT accept that the driver should be shot or charged with assault with a deadly weapon. The officer is NOT required to do anything that places himself in danger, so his doing so is his problem, not someone else's.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillep Harding View Post
    Okay. This is not going to be a popular position to take, but "the officer jumped in front of the car" when it was moving too fast to stop before it hit him? I do NOT accept that the driver should be shot or charged with assault with a deadly weapon. The officer is NOT required to do anything that places himself in danger, so his doing so is his problem, not someone else's.
    Well you are assuming he jumped out according to the witnesses. He could of already been in the road. Even if he stepped out and the car hit him, wouldn't most people stop right there, yet he kept going, that was the fatal mistake. It's just all very sad. I was just watching the local news and apparently there is some dash cam videos, not sure of what but they are being reviewed. It was confirmed that he had a BAC of .13.

The officer is NOT required to do anything that places himself in danger, so his doing so is his problem, not someone else's.
    This is an incorrect statement. While there may be specific circumstances where it may be true, as a general statement it is not.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    I don't have an argument with him getting shot. I do with anyone (police or not) getting in front of a moving car then claiming foul.

I will agree with you to an extent. That is if the vehicle does not have sufficient room to stop. LE is empowered to control traffic. If an officer orders you to stop whether in front of your vehicle or not you are required by law to do so.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

and who said, "you can't have a police officer with you ".

Well, I'll bet he's glad to get off the hood of that car. Sorry, but a bit dumb to get yourself into that predicament.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

I don't have an argument with him getting shot. I do with anyone (police or not) getting in front of a moving car then claiming foul.
    Regardless of how he ended up on this hood, the driver failing to stop AFTER the impact even was cause for his shooting
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

VIP Member

After Police Shots, Grief and Conflicting Stories

Old incident. Long read. But interesting, IMHO.

http://tinyurl.com/2g87q97

SNIP
    For the last seven weeks, the office of the Westchester district attorney working with the State Police and the Mount Pleasant Police Department has been overseeing the investigation of the deadly shooting. About 250 witnesses have been interviewed, an autopsy report has been filed and ballistics tests have been conducted. But the investigators have declined to release their findings, and Officer Hess has chosen not to submit to questioning by them. A grand jury is expected to hear evidence in the case next month.
    SNIP
    Car fails to stop when ordered, accelerates, hits officer -- end of story, IMHO.

Anyone local, who can follow this story, please keep us informed, if I miss the follow-up.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links