Alright Coasties need your help!

This is a discussion on Alright Coasties need your help! within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Ok guys, I don't know a single coastie and I need some help with my thesis. So here is the small problem I am having. ...

Thread: Alright Coasties need your help!

Alright Coasties need your help!

Ok guys, I don't know a single coastie and I need some help with my thesis. So here is the small problem I am having. I have a list of Coast Guard bases here in the US but I need to get it verified. I have done so with all the other services already. But I am not sure if the list I have for the Coast Guard is current or complete.

So, if I can get one of you ladies or gentelmen who have or are serving to PM me with your email address, I will send the list I have and if you would be so kind and let me know if I am missing any sites.

Thanks in advance!!

2. Remove Ads

I am not a coastie, I'm a jarhead, however, check out this part of the CG's website: http://www.uscg.mil/top/units/ , if you click each district their should be a link that says either "commands" or "units" on the toolbar, which from what I am seeing, has a list of all the units within that district, and their home port or station. It's gonna take a bit off research on your part, but since you said thesis, I assume you are used to doing some of that, hope this helped some.

This is my honest opinion, but you may want to verify either with multiple people, or some source other than just coasties. If you asked me to name all the Marine bases in America, I'd probably hit the big ones, but I'd probably also leave out some of the smaller air bases and whatnot, and a lot of Marines would forget about Kaneohe Bay, since it isn't the Stumps or Lejune or Hollywood. Just a thought, and I'm an Ohio State alumni with a degree in History, I feel your pain.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Yup, contrary to popular belief us Coasties weren't a covert ops group. Just not a lot of us. What buckeye said above will get you where you want to be. There are a TON of stations, small boat, big boat, air stations, even some light houses and loran stations still I think. Use to have part time stations that would open or close depending on season and weather and freezing waters.

Yah, I saw that but I got confused. LOL!!! What is the difference between those stations? What I am looking for is what would be comparable to our Forts or the AF and Naval bases.

Thanks again for the replies guys!!

I am an old Coastie, but it was so far back that I can't even remember the name of our 'rowboat'.

This might help...

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Coast+Guard+Bases+in+the+U.S.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Thanks ret. That's where I got my inital list from

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hk45c View Post
    Thanks ret. That's where I got my inital list from
    I had the same info as Buckeye. That is going to be the most current info available I think. If you need something specific, I don't see why you could not call or write to USCG or Homeland Security.

If you don't mind me asking, what is the nature of your thesis?
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Yah, I saw that but I got confused. LOL!!! What is the difference between those stations? What I am looking for is what would be comparable to our Forts or the AF and Naval bases.

Thanks again for the replies guys!!
    Once again, I am just a grunt in a different branch of the service, however, I think that because of the way the CG is organized and it's missions, it tends not to have big bases that compare to a naval base or fort or something like Camp Pendleton. One of the primary missions is to protect the coast, and in order to do that it needs to be a lot more de-centralized, and spread along the coasts, so that boats and crews are able to easily get back to their station for whatever reasons. Also that way the crews have a narrower section to worry about and can do a better job. A coastie can probably explain better than I the difference between the kinds of stations, but I don't really know of any that rival the scale of the major bases from the other branches.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Sig: I'm looking at collective efficacy and social disorganization in military towns.

Buckeye: Thanks again mate. Since your last post I've looked harder at the Coast Guard in order to get a better understanding....I think I'm just going to go back to my original design. The Army has more than enough Forts for me to look at. Maybe if I turn my thesis into my disertation I'll include the other branches.....

Again, thanks guys
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
    ----
    If not me, then who?

VIP Member
    Sig: I'm looking at collective efficacy and social disorganization in military towns.

Buckeye: Thanks again mate. Since your last post I've looked harder at the Coast Guard in order to get a better understanding....I think I'm just going to go back to my original design. The Army has more than enough Forts for me to look at. Maybe if I turn my thesis into my disertation I'll include the other branches.....

Again, thanks guys
    Fascinating. I wonder if this paper or the University of Michigan Population center would be of any help for your research.

http://www.psc.isr.umich.edu/pubs/pdf/rr00-451.pdf
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Thanks so much Sig!!!! I HATE doing lit reviews LOL!!! That will help a lot
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
    ----
    If not me, then who?

VIP Member
    Thanks so much Sig!!!! I HATE doing lit reviews LOL!!! That will help a lot
    As I said Fascinating topic and interesting. These papers are perhaps more specific. More light reading for you if nothing else.

http://www.informaworld.com/smpp/con...ent=a903598639

http://www.allacademic.com/meta/p_ml...227_index.html

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1...3.00033.x/full
    - Zen Saying

You might find there is a Coast Guard presence on many inland waterways which will not be listed anywhere on the Coast Guard's website. Many States with large lakes or reservoirs which has any type of federal funding may have a Coast Guard presence. For example, on Lake of the Ozarks here in Missouri, there is a Coast Guard presence. While the Missouri State Water Patrol is the primary law enforcement on the lake, the Coast Guard does operate several outboard runabout boats which can an does issue safety violation citations and other routine duties. They also put on boating safety classes, conduct boat inspections, boating accident response and such as well. Missouri is part of District 9 and on their website, I have found nothing regarding their presence on Lake of the Ozarks. Only in St. Louis where they have a buoy tender/cutter which operates on the Mississippi and Missouri Rivers.

I imagine you'll find similar Coast Guard presence in most states which aren't officially listed anywhere on their website. Also these large lake and reservoir units may fall under the Coast Guard Auxiliary.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Bark'n: Not really related to my OP, but I went through Basic at Fort Lost in the Woods...that was the first time I ever saw a Coastie

Sig: Yah de guy!!!! (had to go back home on that one. LOL!!!) Thanks for the links mate!!
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
    ----
    If not me, then who?

VIP Member
    Bark'n: Not really related to my OP, but I went through Basic at Fort Lost in the Woods...that was the first time I ever saw a Coastie

Sig: Yah de guy!!!! (had to go back home on that one. LOL!!!) Thanks for the links mate!!
    Glad to help. Let me know if there is any others you would like. My Nephew is a West-point Major. He was at Ft. Leonard Wood until last May. Now in Bamberg Germany, Combat engineer. Don't ask me what he is doing there. I don't think he knows yet.
    - Zen Saying

Links