Whoops~E~Daisy! What DaHeck Happened To Those Doggone Pesky Nuclear Attack Codes!

Whoops~E~Daisy! What DaHeck Happened To Those Doggone Pesky Nuclear Attack Codes!

This is a discussion on Whoops~E~Daisy! What DaHeck Happened To Those Doggone Pesky Nuclear Attack Codes! within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Military Commander In Chief Related. Let's just lie and "pretend" that we still have the code even though it's like totally lost. We don't want ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Administrator

Military Commander In Chief Related.

Let's just lie and "pretend" that we still have the code even though it's like totally lost.

We don't want to be embarrassed even though the lives of every Man, Woman, & Child in the entire U.S.A. could be at stake.

Clinton Lost 'The Biscuit' -- Nuclear Codes

AOL News

(Oct. 22) -- President Bill Clinton's administration lost track of "the Biscuit," special codes that allow the president to launch a nuclear attack, according to retired Gen. Hugh Shelton.

The codes, printed on a credit-card-sized certificate, are a key part of America's nuclear protocol. They allow the president to open a special briefcase that contains instructions for a surprise nuclear launch, and the commander in chief is supposed to keep the card with him at all times.

Under Bill Clinton, the card disappeared.

In a new book, a retired general says Bill Clinton's administration lost track of a certificate that holds nuclear codes "for months."

"The codes were actually missing for months," Shelton, former chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, wrote in his book "Without Hesitation: The Odyssey of an American Warrior."

"This is a big deal -- a gargantuan deal -- and we dodged a silver bullet," Shelton wrote, according to Agence France-Presse.

Shelton believes that Clinton put one of his aides in charge of guarding the codes and that he probably didn't even know they'd been misplaced. "The president never did have them, but he assumed, I'm sure, that the aide had them like he was supposed to," Shelton wrote.

Once a month, Pentagon officials stop by the White House to ensure the president still has the card. For at least two months in a row, one of Clinton's aides told the military checker that the president was in a meeting but that he definitely had the codes.

But when the time came to update the codes with new ones sometime in 2000, a Clinton aide confessed that the card was missing. According to his book, Shelton burst into the office of then Defense Secretary William Cohen and said, "You are not going to believe this."

New codes were issued within minutes, and procedures have since been changed. Now the Pentagon official who goes to the White House once a month is required to physically see the card in the president's possession.

Analysts say the case of the missing codes marks one of the most serious security breaches in American nuclear history. But if an unauthorized person found the "biscuit," he or she would still be unable to launch a nuclear attack on their own. The other key part is the special briefcase, dubbed "the football," which contains detailed instructions for a nuclear launch.

"Even if you had a piece that was required, it would be very difficult for one person to execute the command and control of this thing," Fran Townsend, who served as Homeland Security adviser to President George W. Bush, told CNN. "There are plenty of things to be concerned about. I just find it difficult to imagine somebody could execute this thing, if they found a piece to it."

Shelton claims that his story about the missing nuclear codes has never before been publicly known. But another retired military chief, Air Force Lt. Col Robert Patterson, gave a similar account in his own book published seven years ago.

Patterson was one of the officials in charge of carrying the briefcase with the nuclear instructions, and described how at one point he had to ask Clinton for the codes to swap them for updated versions. That routine check happened on the morning after the Monica Lewinsky scandal broke.

"He thought he just placed them upstairs," Patterson told ABC News. "We called upstairs, we started a search around the White House for the codes, and he finally confessed that he in fact misplaced them. He couldn't recall when he had last seen them."

In Patterson's version of events, the president himself lost the codes in 1998, while Shelton blames the mistake on a presidential aide and says it happened in 2000. There's been no comment from Clinton.

As for the complex, layered security system that ensures America's nuclear secrets don't fall into the wrong hands, Shelton wrote, "You can do whatever you can and think you have an infallible system, but somehow someone always seems to find a way to screw it up."

Senior Moderator
    Why am I not surprised?

While it wasnt likely that we'd have a suprise nuclear attack put on us, the fact that we would have had the most important detterant "out of commision" because of incompetance, is criminal if not treasonous.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Administrator
    I couldn't agree with you more.
    I was dumbstruck when I read this.

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Why am I not surprised?

While it wasnt likely that we'd have a suprise nuclear attack put on us, the fact that we would have had the most important detterant "out of commision" because of incompetance, is criminal if not treasonous.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Did they try looking in China? It's always the last place you look
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

<Speechless> I think Treason is the correct term. I found the impeachment disaster sad enough.........this is just imprudent <Understatement>. QK and HG kind of said it all.

Hah! Just noticed. Post 5,000! Woo Hoo! Criticizing Clinton too, to boot. How fun!

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Why am I not surprised?

I have to agree with you.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Administrator
    Congrats on hitting 5,000

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    <Speechless> I think Treason is the correct term. I found the impeachment disaster sad enough.........this is just imprudent <Understatement>. QK and HG kind of said it all.

Hah! Just noticed. Post 5,000! Woo Hoo! Criticizing Clinton too, to boot. How fun!
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

TV interviewees, mostly. Not commanders, let alone warriors. Unsurprising.

In a word ...
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

No postable comment comes to mind.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

With Clinton's outlook on guns, he wouldn't have used those codes even if we were being attacked!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    ...and we thought that personal lives didn't spill over into people's professional lives.
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

Ask Monica about his abilities to launch a preemptive strike. Bet he didn't need the biscuit for that one either.

VIP Member
    Shelton believes that Clinton put one of his aides in charge of guarding the codes and that he probably didn't even know they'd been misplaced. "The president never did have them, but he assumed, I'm sure, that the aide had them like he was supposed to," Shelton wrote.
    Assume, we all know the definition of that word.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Administrator
    Monica had it thinking it was his American Express. Now that we are in the 21st century, such codes are kept on a TelePrompter.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    derpa derp, i thinks i had those a minute ago, waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa hooooie, their gone, i just don't know where that dad gum card went off too............
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links