personal weapons

personal weapons

This is a discussion on personal weapons within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I know in past times soldiers were allowed to carry personally owned weapons in combat as well as issued, is this still the case for ...

Thread: personal weapons

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar

personal weapons

I know in past times soldiers were allowed to carry personally owned weapons in combat as well as issued, is this still the case for certain types of weapons?
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

From combat veteran friends - so this is clearly second-hand - the line between "allowed" versus "tolerated" is gets more blurry the closer you are to a live combat zone. "Don't ask/don't tell" applies to more than just sexual orientation.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by INccwchris View Post
    I know in past times soldiers were allowed to carry personally owned weapons in combat as well as issued, is this still the case for certain types of weapons?
    Personal knives were OK, forget about a personally owned gun. There are some instances where it's allowed but they are very rare.

VIP Member
    I have been in the current battle zones for almost 5 years now. Personal weapons are not tolerated period among the standard units or individual troops.

Among Special Operations personnel I have been around there have been some off the shelf weapons carried and used, whether they were personally owned I don't know kinda doubt it though but it is possible. The last group I was with had several 1911's two of which were Kimber SIS models which may or may not have been purchased by the unit or the individual.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Quote Originally Posted by INccwchris View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    From combat veteran friends - so this is clearly second-hand - the line between "allowed" versus "tolerated" is gets more blurry the closer you are to a live combat zone. "Don't ask/don't tell" applies to more than just sexual orientation.
    First-hand knowledge: General Order #1 prohibits use/posession of privately-owned firearms (this is all-inclusive to Iraq, Afghanistan, Phillipines, etc). There are weapons that SOF uses--but they are not privately-owned. No one has said "boo" about knives...and I have a few.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    thanks for the info guys, be safe
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Firstly, it is against Army regulations to carry a personally owned weapon in combat. However, that does not mean that it does not happen. I knew one person who jumped into Grenada with the 1st Ranger Btn back in the early 80’s. The barrel of his rifle was bent when he landed and made his weapon useless. The guy next to him handed him a .357 revolver that he quickly pulled out of the top of his ruck sack so that he would have something to use until he could “pick something up”

Yes it does happen. Is it legal? That is another question.

Links