In state residence status for multiple states

In state residence status for multiple states

This is a discussion on In state residence status for multiple states within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm active duty in the Army and currently reside in Virginia. I have a VA resident CWL and what at the time was a FL ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In state residence status for multiple states

Question In state residence status for multiple states

I'm active duty in the Army and currently reside in Virginia. I have a VA resident CWL and what at the time was a FL resident permit. My understanding is that my FL license switched to a nonresident license when I updated my address with the Department of Agriculture in FL. My plan is to apply for an OH resident CWL which is my home of record. What happens with my VA resident CWL if I do that? Would I basically have a resident CWL for 2 states or do I need to change my VA license status?

Administrator
    I'm not 100% sure, but I would think you need to send some sort of paper in changing your status. I don't think having an active permit in one state will keep you from getting one in another like a drivers license.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar
    I was also stationed in Tampa on active duty and I was told I completely lose lost my FL license when I PCSed and I would have to reapply as a non resident if I wanted a FL CPL.

Sky soldier - why would you lose your CWL? The application process for in state and out of state is the same and the only thing that changed is your address. If the state did not offer a nonresident permit then it would make since that your CWL would be invalid after you moved to another state. BTW I have also seen forums where people say that the FL CWL would be considered a resident permit until you had to renew it.

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    FL does not distinguish between residents and non-residents in regards to a CWL. We have too many "snowbirds" to do that, so it does not matter to the state of FL where you live, so long as you keep the address on file current.

The answer to your question will lie solely within the VA and the OH statutes. Here are some resource links to help you answer your questions:

Handgun Law US: http://handgunlaw.us/

Click on the state and you will the down load a .pdf for that state. Ohio appears to have provisions for military members previously resident in Ohio, by the way.

Here is the less explicit NRA site, that works in a similar fashion: http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/Default.aspx#

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

http://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/f...s-Booklet.aspx

Page 14 from the Attorney General's handbook for Ohio deals with military members who reside out of the state of Ohio. Its what I used when I needed to renew my license, since I am on AD military stationed out of Ohio. I'll let you try to interpret it. Can't help with the other states.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Thanks for the links Rock and Glock. I think from what I can find that I am able to acquire a resident CWL for both OH and VA until I move from VA. At that time my "nonresident" FL and "resident" OH CWL's will stay valid and if I choose to maintain a VA CWL I will have to apply for a nonresident CWL.

buckeyeLCPL - thanks for the link. As far as I can tell the only problem is that I have to apply in person at the Sheriff's Office in my hometown. I have a memo from my OIC detailing that through my military experience I have completed all the training and testing requirements. Is that all you needed when you applied?

Well, I had to do my renewal this year, so my old training from my first one was good. That letter should work, but you can always call and ask the guy who does the permits for your county, as it will depend on their decision. If they take appointments and you know when you will be on leave there next set one up, as some sheriffs have long wait lists to get in and do your application, but once again, that depends on the county.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    Well, I had to do my renewal this year, so my old training from my first one was good. That letter should work, but you can always call and ask the guy who does the permits for your county, as it will depend on their decision. If they take appointments and you know when you will be on leave there next set one up, as some sheriffs have long wait lists to get in and do your application, but once again, that depends on the county.
    Will do. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul1201 View Post
    Will do. Thanks.
    Remember too that you can apply in the county you reside in, or any county adjacent to it, if your county of residence isn't too friendly in the CHL area.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Administrator
    And you don't need any proof of specific training, only that you have served or are serving honorably. Most people just use their dd214.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    And you don't need any proof of specific training, only that you have served or are serving honorably. Most people just use their dd214.
    He's AD, so no DD214 yet, but that is what you can use for 10 years after you get out (figuring the laws stay the same that long.) But I got the impression when I renewed that pretty much just serving, especially in a combat arms field would be sufficient for the office I went through, I'm pretty sure the letter from his CO should be proof enough
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    He's AD, so no DD214 yet, but that is what you can use for 10 years after you get out (figuring the laws stay the same that long.) But I got the impression when I renewed that pretty much just serving, especially in a combat arms field would be sufficient for the office I went through, I'm pretty sure the letter from his CO should be proof enough
    Just 10 years to use a DD214? Is this something new in Florida? I ask because I used my DD214 just year ton obtain a FL non resident permit and my DD214 was from 1969.
    NRA life member.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links