Live (loaded) rocket launcher found by the side of the road in Canada.

This is a discussion on Live (loaded) rocket launcher found by the side of the road in Canada. within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by ExSoldier ccw9mm: I don't think the LAAW has been in anybody's active inventory in like ... DECADES. I was speaking of ownership. ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Live (loaded) rocket launcher found by the side of the road in Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    ccw9mm: I don't think the LAAW has been in anybody's active inventory in like ... DECADES.
    I was speaking of ownership. Whether an active platform in current inventory or not, I wouldn't know. Either way, the ones who'd know what to do with it would be the same crew.

You're correct, that if it's a non-inventoried item for the past several decades, then it's entirely possible to have been sitting there as a "drop." Though why it would be uncovered and out in the open for that purpose is beyond me. Even a criminal would want it to escape casual view, avoid damage, etc. Who knows.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

2. Remove Ads

Friends don't let friends acquire Laaw rockets,I'm thinking those things have serial numbers,so they will know where it came from.Problem is it showed up in a ditch and if it was a government sting,they usually deal in a weapon that if something goes wrong with surveillance the weapon can't be fired
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    I was speaking of ownership. Whether an active platform in current inventory or not, I wouldn't know. Either way, the ones who'd know what to do with it would be the same crew.

You're correct, that if it's a non-inventoried item for the past several decades, then it's entirely possible to have been sitting there as a "drop." Though why it would be uncovered and out in the open for that purpose is beyond me. Even a criminal would want it to escape casual view, avoid damage, etc. Who knows.

Maybe they didn't count on someone with an arial view. Booby trapped would certainly enter my mind. I had training on the very early ones LAWS (late 1960's 1970.) Lots of duds due to moisture.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post

I don't think this is a weapon that CAN be privately owned. I think it's got a larger bore diameter than is allowed. IIRC it's a 66mm diameter round.

Here is a link for wikipedia that describes the weapon in some pretty decent detail with pix: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M72_LAW

It wasn't exactly out in the open. The tree trimmer saw it from an overhead angle. Even if it's made a "comeback" for our guys overseas, I doubt it's been returned to stateside TO&E's. I'll bet though that it's far more readily available on the Black Market for that shopping demographic. Moisture issues likely wouldn't have been an issue in the sandbox. However, I trained on the 1980's iterations of the LAAW and IIRC those issues had largely been resolved. There were by that time, far more troubles in the larger MAW known as the DRAGON anti-armor platform.
    Last edited by ExSoldier; October 31st, 2010 at 03:00 AM. Reason: add link
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    I don't think this is a weapon that CAN be privately owned.
    Reporting to the military essentially is reporting to the "owners." My point exactly.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    This happened just a few miles from where I live.

Over the last few days at least a half dozen people have approached me at work asking if I was "missing anything".
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

while I would be tempted to keep a souvenir...that temptation would be trumped by reality...I'd call the po po
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links