Live (loaded) rocket launcher found by the side of the road in Canada.

Live (loaded) rocket launcher found by the side of the road in Canada.

This is a discussion on Live (loaded) rocket launcher found by the side of the road in Canada. within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; http://www.timescolonist.com/news/te...856/story.html A loaded M72 LAAW (Light Anti Armor Weapon) was found by a tree trimmer in Canada, within sight of a heavily traveled highway. Instructions ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation Live (loaded) rocket launcher found by the side of the road in Canada.

http://www.timescolonist.com/news/te...856/story.html

A loaded M72 LAAW (Light Anti Armor Weapon) was found by a tree trimmer in Canada, within sight of a heavily traveled highway. Instructions for use were found next to the live weapon. After carefully picking it up and posing for a cell camera pic, the worker who had been clearing trees in a cherry picker and looked DOWN to see the device, called the police who verified the find and notified the military.

If this is happening in Canada... are there such military weapons littering our landscape? It seems clear to me that the find wasn't meant to be accidental. The weapon is primed and there are instructions there as well. Was it a terrorist drop gone awry when the intervening factor (tree trimmer) interrupted the chain of supply? Or was it left by a terrorist with the idea of encouraging any finder to use the device for nefarious purposes in the heart of the finder?

The LAAW is an old weapons platform useful against armored personnel carriers of a bygone era. I qualified expert on it waaaay back in the old days when I was on active duty. That was ummmm counting fingers and toes -- wait -- lessee -- 1984?

Okay, let's say YOU find one. Given the makeup of the folks who read and post here, maybe you have the same training I do and you know how to use it. What do you do? Is it Christmas come early? I might be tempted for about a millionth of a millisecond to save it for a rainy day, but I'm pretty sure that I'm also thinking with that proverbial army officer's mindset that I have NEVER been able to lose ... and that is telling me to do the RIGHT thing for many reasons. Number one because it IS the RIGHT thing to do. Number two is that maybe it's linked to a larger plot and maybe it's one in motion to kill Americans in large numbers and I need to do everything in my power to help get it stopped. And that final niggling worry that is purely self centered and survival oriented: What if it's booby trapped? Which is exactly why I don't even touch it like the tree trimmer did (for the cell phone pic). Yeah, I think like that. EXACTLY like that. Do you?

Okay, I hope I followed the forum rules this time on copyright infringement. I posted the link and put the rest in my own words. Is that right?
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    If I found something like that - No WAY would I consider it "Christmas" and keep it. I'd turn it in.
    For God, Family and Country!

Distinguished Member
    First thing I would do would be to make a call to my contact at the FBI office, then secure the area and await for their arrival. I wouldn't even touch it to pose for a photo, don't want to contaminate the scene.

Keeping something like that wouldn't even cross my mind.

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    Definitely brings back the phrase "back blast area all clear"!!

Finding something like that would necessitate a call to the local FBI office. Taking it home would be the furthest think from my mind. I can't imagine how one of those would just happen to turn up on a Canadian highway?
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post

A loaded M72 LAAW (Light Anti Armor Weapon) was found by a tree trimmer in Canada, within sight of a heavily traveled highway. Instructions for use were found next to the live weapon. After carefully picking it up and posing for a cell camera pic, the worker who had been clearing trees in a cherry picker and looked DOWN to see the device, called the police who verified the find and notified the military.

If this is happening in Canada... are there such military weapons littering our landscape? It seems clear to me that the find wasn't meant to be accidental. The weapon is primed and there are instructions there as well. Was it a terrorist drop gone awry when the intervening factor (tree trimmer) interrupted the chain of supply? Or was it left by a terrorist with the idea of encouraging any finder to use the device for nefarious purposes in the heart of the finder?

The LAAW is an old weapons platform useful against armored personnel carriers of a bygone era. I qualified expert on it waaaay back in the old days when I was on active duty. That was ummmm counting fingers and toes -- wait -- lessee -- 1984?

Okay, let's say YOU find one. Given the makeup of the folks who read and post here, maybe you have the same training I do and you know how to use it. What do you do? Is it Christmas come early? I might be tempted for about a millionth of a millisecond to save it for a rainy day, but I'm pretty sure that I'm also thinking with that proverbial army officer's mindset that I have NEVER been able to lose ... and that is telling me to do the RIGHT thing for many reasons. Number one because it IS the RIGHT thing to do. Number two is that maybe it's linked to a larger plot and maybe it's one in motion to kill Americans in large numbers and I need to do everything in my power to help get it stopped. And that final niggling worry that is purely self centered and survival oriented: What if it's booby trapped? Which is exactly why I don't even touch it like the tree trimmer did (for the cell phone pic). Yeah, I think like that. EXACTLY like that. Do you?Okay, I hope I followed the forum rules this time on copyright infringement. I posted the link and put the rest in my own words. Is that right?

I'd get somebody I don't care for, have them pick it up, pose for the pic;
    Then Kill them , hide the body, then launch a full blown assault on,,,,,Oh for give me I must have been dreaming,,

I'd call the cops. What the H E Double hockey sticks do I need that for.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

The fun of watching something (a legal target) blow up, would not be worth the time in prison.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I don't have Ted Nugent's phone number so a call to the FBI would be my second choice.

I suspect that your home owners insurance (fire, etc) would frown on that thing being in the garage.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

VIP Member
    And that final niggling worry that is purely self centered and survival oriented: What if it's booby trapped? Which is exactly why I don't even touch it like the tree trimmer did (for the cell phone pic). Yeah, I think like that. EXACTLY like that. Do you?
    You're never an ExSoldier with that mindset. I like the way you think.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

No way would I handle a rocket launcher found like that... I 'd call the gendarames, for sure.

Now if it was a case of grenades, I might have to give that some thought!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Okay, let's say YOU find one. What do you do? Is it Christmas come early?
    These things aren't on the general consumer market. It's known who owns it, or at least who owned it at one time before it was sold at surplus and "redirected" from wherever it had ended up.

No way would I believe I had a right to think it was "Christmas" and seek to take it.

If I know one thing, I know this: it's not mine personally. It's owned by the People. In step with the other discussion on personal responsibility, to my way of thinking there is only one right and honorable action: return it to the People, who purchased it and own it. Here in the U.S., I would contact my local military base (Nat'l Guard, Army) and have them aware that a LAAW was sitting at my feet. Not having had the specific training, either, I'd not even touch it. I'd hop on the phone and await the arrival (nearby) of someone who did. Let alone the possibility it might be a trap of some sort. Let alone the possibility that it might have been left there for someone who might be coming around in awhile to claim it. Time to mark/cover it in a simple way, then go about my business elsewhere/nearby until appropriate control could be taken by those who know.

I don't imagine something like this is very likely, but it's entirely possible, what with as many military trucks and cargo planes that have been over nearly every square inch of this country's accessible areas. Who knows what has been discarded or dropped, has survived crashes, or whatever. Being somewhere near a bombing range, I might be wary and on the watch for such things. But in the middle of the woods alongside a road, I wouldn't think the average 100,000 people (civilians) would ever see one in their lifetimes.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Now if it was a case of grenades, I might have to give that some thought!
    Now you're thinking like a fisherman!
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

ccw9mm: I don't think the LAAW has been in anybody's active inventory in like ... DECADES. It's just barely possible that some national guard units still have them in the TO&E for the unit but they'd ALL be held under heavy security at the ammunition supply point at the organization level. In other words, where EVERYBODY goes to draw the "go to war" ammo. Something like a live "war shot" LAAW wouldn't be kept in a local arms room. So that begs a question, how did it get there and for what purpose? Now this is a weapons platform that may still be in use overseas and readily available, especially to a terrorist supply network. Canada's border is just a much of a sieve as ours is. I don't think this bounced off a truck by accident. Was this a supply drop to an active terrorist cell? Well, maybe. I seriously doubt it's something "innocent or unthreatening."

VIP Member
    Originally Posted by ExSoldier
    And that final niggling worry that is purely self centered and survival oriented: What if it's booby trapped? Which is exactly why I don't even touch it like the tree trimmer did (for the cell phone pic). Yeah, I think like that. EXACTLY like that. Do you?
    I am of the same mindset; one of the first things we were taught in RVN was if something looks out of place stay away from it. You never know what may be a booby trap and back then the VC used some very ingenious ones.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

ccw9mm: I don't think the LAAW has been in anybody's active inventory in like ... DECADES. It's just barely possible that some national guard units still have them in the TO&E for the unit but they'd ALL be held under heavy security at the ammunition supply point at the organization level. In other words, where EVERYBODY goes to draw the "go to war" ammo. Something like a live "war shot" LAAW wouldn't be kept in a local arms room. So that begs a question, how did it get there and for what purpose? Now this is a weapons platform that may still be in use overseas and readily available, especially to a terrorist supply network. Canada's border is just a much of a sieve as ours is. I don't think this bounced off a truck by accident. Was this a supply drop to an active terrorist cell? Well, maybe. I seriously doubt it's something "innocent or unthreatening."

The LAAW has actually made a comeback in Afghanistan, there are some things it does there better than it's replacement, the AT-4. It's also easier to carry, and lighter, I probably patrolled a couple of hundred miles with a LAAW on my back over there earlier this year. Look up Moto videos from 1/3, 1/6 and 3/6 in Marjeh, and you will see LAAW's on the Marines' backs, and being fired in combat.

The fact that there were instructions close by make it seem non accidental, especially in my mind. I'd immediately report it if I came across something like that, and the government certainly knows who is supposed to have those things, and keeps track of them very closely in our own stockpiles.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links