Random thoughts from a conversation with a cop

This is a discussion on Random thoughts from a conversation with a cop within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; A LEO I took a class form put this into perspective pretty well (Mass is a no disclosure state). He said "If you weren't carrying ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Random thoughts from a conversation with a cop

A LEO I took a class form put this into perspective pretty well (Mass is a no disclosure state). He said "If you weren't carrying a gun, would it make me feel any more comfortable if you said 'Officer, I'm not carrying a gun today!'" His point was, you intend no harm with your gun, if you remain in the vehicle it will never be an issue. Why bring it up and through the officer on full alarm. However, if you're asked to exit the vehicle he said what I've heard every LEO say they want to hear. "Officer I have a license to carry and I am carrying a gun today. How would you like to proceed?"

Tom

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    The point isn't about being a law abiding citizen, it is the chance of being surprised by a gun. LEO's will react very pointedly when a gun is discovered accidentally during an encounter. Declaring upfront should avoid any misunderstanding with potentially deadly consequence.
    Like usual Sixto, very well said. I agreed with this before I became a LEO, and agree more now. I -PREFER- an armed citizen to let me know. I understand that (in my state, Utah) there is no requirement to do so, but it's still a good idea.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Senior Moderator
    When I am on shift, I just assume that everyone is armed....and in this part of the state a suprisingly high number of them are, so its not an issue with me.

And yes, I do have a plan to kill everyone I meet. Fortunatley, I haven't had anyone that required me to do that yet so it's all good.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    I can say the same, and I hope for both of us, it stays that way! Stay safe HotGuns
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

his personal experience is that people carry for a short season and then quit because it becomes uncomfortable.
    I find this to be very true. The majority of CCW permit holders I encounter are not armed. My standard question to them is "why not?".

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomII View Post
    Even though MO is a "No Disclose" state, I have found (as a Retired/Former LEO) that if you inform the officer at the time that you present your 'credentials', no surprise will happen, i.e., the response is usually, ...
    The key word there is "usually", not all LEO's support people carrying, not all LEO's handle firearms safely, not all LEO's know how to operate all handguns. On this very board there's been a few examples of LEO's endangering themselves and citizens (members of this board) after being informed that the driver was armed and they attempted to disarm the carrier and/or manipulate the fiream.
    Because as soon as the license is run the officer will know that you have a CCW endorcement
    Nope. The officer will not know I am licensed to carry after running my license b/c my permit is through FL.
    My thoughts were always, "Why didn't he disclose his CCW?" It just brings up questions and concerns that are best handled with a simple courteous disclosure...
    1)Because it has the potential of escalating an otherwise simple traffic stop into a dangerous situation.
    2)The person may not be carrying at the time
    3)Why would you be concerned about and question a law abiding citizen that has passed an FBI background check, took the time and spent the money to get the proper training/jump through appropriate hoops to get a permit to stay within the law, and is simply exercising their Constitutional rights and has no obligation to disclose that information to you? A good argument can be made that the CCW holder that didn't disclose that info, the one you are concerned about, is then known to pose less risk to the officer than the person that is researched and no additional information is provided.
    That attitude is one reason why I got my FL permit and, even though I have taken the class to get a MO permit, have not.
    It's also along the same lines as just because you are innocent, doesn't mean you have nothing to fear from answering police questions

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    The point isn't about being a law abiding citizen, it is the chance of being surprised by a gun. LEO's will react very pointedly when a gun is discovered accidentally during an encounter. Declaring upfront should avoid any misunderstanding with potentially deadly consequence.
    Sure it does..... it's a mind set, that not everyone with a gun is a threat. Law abiding citizens don't go reaching for or pulling out their guns to "create" an issue. If an officer sees one in a car, he doesn't panic, he'll tell you keep your hands away from it and ask if you have a license.

Typically none react just because there is a gun visible. .... unless someone is going for it... pulling it out, or pointing it in their direction. Conealed is concealed ...... keep it concealed and in the holster and it's not an issue.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by nedrgr21 View Post
    It's also along the same lines as just because you are innocent, doesn't mean you have nothing to fear from answering police questions
    - No offense to any officers out there, but I'm going to disclose the least amount of information required. The officer is not my friend and a CCW isn't going to change that. I simply proceed like I always have. By turning on all of my interior lights, being polite and cooperating as much as required.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links