Random thoughts from a conversation with a cop

This is a discussion on Random thoughts from a conversation with a cop within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I spoke with a sheriff today…and no it wasn’t because I was stopped. We were in a social situation and I inquired first if I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Random thoughts from a conversation with a cop

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

I spoke with a sheriff today…and no it wasn’t because I was stopped. We were in a social situation and I inquired first if I could ask a few questions.

Here are some of the things he said:

• He would prefer to see that you have a permit, although he will soon discover it when he runs your license. To him it was no big deal.

• He wants to know if you are carrying and where the gun is.

• He wants to see your hands at all times, preferably on the steering wheel.

• Tell him what you are going to do before you do it. Ex: My insurance verification is in my glove compartment. Is it OK to get that?

• He said there was a rash of concealed permits issued after the election, but his personal experience is that people carry for a short season and then quit because it becomes uncomfortable.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Well, all sounds ok, but I've been cc'ing for about 41 years and it hasn't become uncomfortable yet. It has just become part of me and I notice it about as much as you notice your watch or a ring.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Senior Moderator
    Same here. I dont care if you have a gun or not. The only thing I care about is where it is pointing.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Administrator
    Seems like he has the standard LEO thoughts on CCW. I agree with all, especially the last one.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    Sounds like your conversation went well.The last point is so true.Most people I know with a CHL,either do not carry,or leave it in their car.I know one guy that owns a gun shop.He leaves his in the car,said he does not like the weight dragging on him,I was speechless.I watched a local preacher on t.v. this morning.He said he has a CHL but he does not need to carry.He said he always has his elbows and knees in case anyone comes to close.He has a doctorate level degree.Perhaps brains and common sense do not always go together.

Agree, pretty standard. One of the most apropos, was someone on here posted, "You don't show me yours and I won't show you mine.".
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Huh. The cops I've talked too (all think everyone who can carry should and actively have CCW classes) would rather you not tell them when stopped. MO is a no tell state.

Quote Originally Posted by ExactlyMyPoint View Post
    I spoke with a sheriff today…and no it wasn’t because I was stopped. We were in a social situation and I inquired first if I could ask a few questions.

Here are some of the things he said:

• He would prefer to see that you have a permit, although he will soon discover it when he runs your license. To him it was no big deal.

• He wants to know if you are carrying and where the gun is.

• He wants to see your hands at all times, preferably on the steering wheel.

• Tell him what you are going to do before you do it. Ex: My insurance verification is in my glove compartment. Is it OK to get that?

• He said there was a rash of concealed permits issued after the election, but his personal experience is that people carry for a short season and then quit because it becomes uncomfortable.
    I think it's all true from my personal perspective. I have contacts in LE as well. Many talks about CC and their experiences on and off duty. What I'm looking at mainly from the post is the last line.....maybe the bottom line?
    He said there was a rash of concealed permits issued after the election, but his personal experience is that people carry for a short season and then quit because it becomes uncomfortable.
    Carrying is no game. You either get into it, or you get out. No room for those on the fence in my opinion. Anyone who's on the fence is a better gambler than I am.

Quote Originally Posted by ExactlyMyPoint View Post
    He said there was a rash of concealed permits issued after the election, but his personal experience is that people carry for a short season and then quit because it becomes uncomfortable.
    This has not been my experience. But then again there are only 3 or 4 people who know I carry. It would be interesting to see some stats on this.
    We're all in favor of reducing violent crime. It's just that pro-gunners have a method that is proven effective. Anti-gunners don't.
    ---
    John Moses Browning day is January 24th, 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    Well, all sounds ok, but I've been cc'ing for about 41 years and it hasn't become uncomfortable yet. It has just become part of me and I notice it about as much as you notice your watch or a ring.
    Considering I haven't worn my ring in over two years (and yes, I'm still married) I think I would notice that before I noticed my EDC.
    TSgt. Lickey

It takes a college degree to break'em;
    and a high school education to fix'em!

We don't have a requirement to notify if we are carrying. No one sees it as a big deal. LEO's in general aren't that concerned about people who are carrying and have a permit, as they are law-abiding citizens anyway, so they are no threat to them.

I think the Sheriff missed that point.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    We don't have a requirement to notify if we are carrying. No one sees it as a big deal. LEO's in general aren't that concerned about people who are carrying and have a permit, as they are law-abiding citizens anyway, so they are no threat to them.

I think the Sheriff missed that point.
    The point isn't about being a law abiding citizen, it is the chance of being surprised by a gun. LEO's will react very pointedly when a gun is discovered accidentally during an encounter. Declaring upfront should avoid any misunderstanding with potentially deadly consequence.
    "Just blame Sixto"

However, there are LEO's that also react in just as dangerous a manner when informed of a firearm being present. Just such an incident was discussed not too long ago. I've only been asked to exit my vehicle once in the decades I've been driving, otherwise there's no chance of the officer seeing my weapon. If asked to exit, then I'll disclose - unless required by law.

The last point I find to be very true. I got my permit and have carried whenever possible everyday in the last 10 years. My best friend, carried a 1911 compact in a paddle holster in his console for a long time in his truck. My other friend carries occasionally but usually only a mouse gun if it is not too noticeable or interfering with his attire.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Even though MO is a "No Disclose" state, I have found (as a Retired/Former LEO) that if you inform the officer at the time that you present your 'credentials', no surprise will happen, i.e., the response is usually, "Where is the firearm," and then, "please keep your hands visible and we will all be calm..."
    Because as soon as the license is run the officer will know that you have a CCW endorcement (not all licenses in MO will have the endorcement on it, as you can get a separate 'ID Card' with the endorcement). My thoughts were always, "Why didn't he disclose his CCW?" It just brings up questions and concerns that are best handled with a simple courteous disclosure...
    John-
    USAF Retired ~ Retired LEO
    NRA Life; CRPA Life; USCCA
    OathKeeper Charter Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links