BAD -- Navy SEAL accused of smuggling illegal weapons from Iraq, Afghanistan

This is a discussion on BAD -- Navy SEAL accused of smuggling illegal weapons from Iraq, Afghanistan within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/11/05/sea...Top+Stories%29 Washington (CNN) -- The arrest of a Navy SEAL accused of trying to sell weapons smuggled from Iraq or Afghanistan has raised questions about ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BAD -- Navy SEAL accused of smuggling illegal weapons from Iraq, Afghanistan

VIP Member

BAD -- Navy SEAL accused of smuggling illegal weapons from Iraq, Afghanistan

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/11/05/sea...Top+Stories%29

Washington (CNN) -- The arrest of a Navy SEAL accused of trying to sell weapons smuggled from Iraq or Afghanistan has raised questions about how he managed to get 80 high-powered weapons into the U.S. through military transport.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

2. Remove Ads

"If it's determined we need to reassess procedures in place to make sure our members are not transporting items stateside, then we'll certainly do that,"

Oh yeah, that's going to happen...
    Others HAD to know what was going on...can you say loss of rank, money, retirement (if any), and prison time?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

This is bad for him. Article 15, court marshal, possibly a dishonorable discharge and prison time. Yeah, others would have had to known also.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

If it is found he did it then this will be very bad for him. If they found out he didn't do it, the publicity is already bad for him.

how he managed to get 80 high-powered weapons into the U.S. through military transport.
    Why would they be surprised, he is a SEAL. He has been trained to be sneaky, I'm sure 80 disassembled weapons can easily be snuck in to some strange places and no problem for him to reassemble them.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Weapons are regularly transported through military channels, so adding in a few extras would not be all that difficult. Eighty is a bit extreme. Must have had a buyer on the homefront.

In another view, how many of you have your granddaddy's Luger or Japanese rifle that he brought back from the battlefields of WWII?
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member

Question Civilian criminal charges, MCM, and UCMJ violations?

I don't know how things may have changed over the years. But, in my day, the military would let these civilian criminal charges play out then take the Article 15 and court marshal actions related to specific military violations not precluded by dbl jeopardy -- e.g., the AWOL (caused by the civilian conviction because the member’s inability to return to duty was the result of willful misconduct.), etc. Often the subsequent military sentence would be served consecutively, rather than concurrently.

So, in this case the federal criminal court would go after things like the illegal import, possession, attempt to sell automatic weapons. Then the Navy would go after AWOL, misuse of government property in the transport, etc.

Anyone up to date on the current practices in a mixed civilian/military situation such as this is alleged to be.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    He was trying to make some $$$ but otherwise I believe our military should be allowed to bring back war trophies as long as they are rendered in compliance with US law. Semi-auto or Class 3 license.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

I actually thought about bringing back a cool paratrooper AK. But then I chickened out and buried it in the desert. I wonder if its still there?

VIP Member
    [QUOTE=OldVet;1799735]Weapons are regularly transported through military channels, so adding in a few extras would not be all that difficult. Eighty is a bit extreme. Must have had a buyer on the homefront.

In another view, how many of you have your granddaddy's Luger or Japanese rifle that he brought back from the battlefields of WWII?[/QUOTE]

Rules and attitudes have changed over the years. What was once common and accepted practices will not get you put behind bars for many years.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Two other guys were involved in this gun running operation. The guy in CO had five pounds of C-4 in his possession. The guns and explosives were supposed to go to Mexico.

http://www.startribune.com/nation/106700953.html

LAS VEGAS - Federal agents seized five pounds of C-4 military explosives from the Colorado home of a man accused with a Navy SEAL and a Las Vegas associate of smuggling machine guns from Iraq into the U.S. for sale and shipment to Mexico, authorities said Thursday.

Grenades and night-vision goggles also were found in the Durango, Colo., home of 34-year-old Richard Paul, according to federal prosecutors and federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives agents in Las Vegas and Colorado.

Paul and Andrew Kaufman, 36, of Las Vegas, were arrested Wednesday and appeared Thursday before federal magistrate judges in Durango and Las Vegas on conspiracy charges. Each was ordered held in federal custody pending an evidentiary hearing.

Quote Originally Posted by Sig 210 View Post
    Two other guys were involved in this gun running operation. The guy in CO had five pounds of C-4 in his possession. The guns and explosives were supposed to go to Mexico.

http://www.startribune.com/nation/106700953.html

Now THAT'S reassuring.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Bad all the way around.

Senior Moderator
    Dont believe everything you read or hear about.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    Lots of guys bring home small stuff: a handful of rounds, a bayonet or two. A functioning firearm is pretty rare. Eighty of them deserves some close attention.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

"A Navy SEAL, One Of America's Elite Warriors" Thats the sad part.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.” -- Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links