Duty weapons of the Las Vegas Metro Police

This is a discussion on Duty weapons of the Las Vegas Metro Police within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by MitchellCT I'd really like to know of a case in which that was a problem... Further, as a cop friend of mine ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Duty weapons of the Las Vegas Metro Police

Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    I'd really like to know of a case in which that was a problem...

Further, as a cop friend of mine says, "If you used all your bullets and missed...what in hell makes you think that you are getting any of mine?"

If anything, it's the other way around...as my friend calls they 'bullet sponges', 'walking cover', 'decoys' & 'spare ammo bearers'...
    Aint that the truth!

2. Remove Ads

While access could be a problem, depending on the situation, I knew few who did not carry "extra supplies" in their field bag.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Quote Originally Posted by swinokur View Post
    From Wikipedia
    Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department has several qualifications on what type of firearm may be carried:

1) The firearm MUST be manufactured by:

Beretta, Colt, Glock, Kimber, Para Ordnance, Wilson Combat, Unertl Ordnance, Heckler & Koch, Ruger, Sig Sauer, Springfield Armory, Steyr Mannlicher, or Smith and Wesson.

2) The firearm MUST be chambered in either: 9mm, .40 S&W, or .45 ACP.

3) The firing mechanism must be:

Traditional Double/Single action (Beretta, H&K, Ruger, Sig Sauer pistols), Single action (1911-style pistols), Striker-fired or "safe-action" (i.e. Glock and Steyr "M" pistols), Double-Action only (i.e. Smith & Wesson 5946 pistol)

4) The finish must either be blued/black or stainless steel.

5) Barrel length must be at least 3.5 inches and not exceed 6 inches.

6) Grips must be either a high-impact plastic or rubber (black in color), or wood; and must be designed to be used with either hand.

Not sure of accuracy of this.
    It's pretty accurate. About item #4, in addition to Blue/Black and Stainless Steel, the finish can also be some colour called "Metro Green". I have no idea what "Metro Green" is, but the LVMPD's winter uniform is called "Greens" even though it's dark brown... so maybe "Metro Green" is brown?

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    In my home country of Costa Rica the traffic police carry Glock 17's (Gen 3), the basic police officers (foot patrol) carry old S&W Model 64 revolvers in .38+P and the higher ranked police officers all carry Beretta 92FS.

In the US I have noticed during travel that the US Customs officers at the airport are all equipped with Heckler & Koch USP Compact in .40 S&W. I was very excited as I carry the same gun!

Here in Germany the Bundespolizei in Badden-Würtemberg are all equipped with Heckler & Koch P2000 in .40 S&W and in other states with Walther P99AS in .40 S&W. Again, they use H&K and Walther which are two of my favorite CCWs.

In Austria I have noticed most of the Budespolizei carry Glock 17.

In Switzerland the Police usually carry Glock 19.

The most impressive thing about the Bundespolizei in Germany is their vehicle and motorcycle fleet. The standard issue police vehicle is the BMW 5 Series but I have seen in the Autobahn police officers driving Audi A6 and Porsche 911 patrols. When you see police officers in motorcycles they all drive a BMW 1200 RT. NICE!!!
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Quote Originally Posted by sigmanluke View Post
    My department will issue a Glock 22 or 23 if we want. However, we can carry what we choose with a few requirements.

No Taurus
    No 1911's
    Only 9mm, .40s+w, .45acp

I know lots of people will argue about the 1911's, the Chief loves shooting them and has many, but says they are not reliable enough for duty carry.

Don't flame this, it's HIS decision.
    Not a worthy opinion for a Utahn. Lemme guess, he's a transplant?
    We're all in favor of reducing violent crime. It's just that pro-gunners have a method that is proven effective. Anti-gunners don't.
    ---
    John Moses Browning day is January 24th, 2011

VIP Member
    No, he's a 4th generation Utahn, (I was curious so I asked at work today). I'll admit 'm not fond of 1911's, it's a grip angle thing for me.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    While access could be a problem, depending on the situation, I knew few who did not carry "extra supplies" in their field bag.

I will neither confirm nor deny that there may be a 33rnd Glock 9mm mag in my front seat along with a tac vest in the floorboard with spare AR and G17 mags

we are allowed G19 or G17 only as of this summer
    it used to be Glock, H&K, Sig, or S&W in 9 or .45
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer
    not enough space for list, main gear: duty-G17, S&W 642 bug, 870, RRA AR-15; G30 off-duty
    Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Senior Moderator
    I guess I was under the impression that the caliber/gun was an economic issue more than anything. If multiple calibers are allowed, the PD has to purchase and stock all calibers of ammo. Then they have to keep up with inventory for each caliber; just seems like a lot of extra burden.

The if there's more than one gun (i.e. manufacturer) the same economics apply to the guns. Guns have to be bought and inventoried by both manufacturer and caliber. It would be possible to have to inventory Glocks, M&Ps, Sigs, whatever in both sizes and caliber.

The training officers would have to be familiar with the manual of arms for multiple platforms, etc.

Then there's maintenance on different guns require multiple training, certification, and stocked parts.

I don't see how a PD could afford to do all that. Of course it would help if the officers purchased their own guns, but diverse ammo supplies, maintenance, training, replacement parts, etc. still remain.

What if the military took that approach?
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 64zebra View Post

I will neither confirm nor deny that there may be a 33rnd Glock 9mm mag in my front seat along with a tac vest in the floorboard with spare AR and G17 mags

we are allowed G19 or G17 only as of this summer
    it used to be Glock, H&K, Sig, or S&W in 9 or .45
    Can you explain why the powers that be made that change?
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Administrator
    We are allowed to choose from 9mm, 40 or 45, and between a 229, 226 or 220. All a department supplied. It is a bit of a pain to keep up with it all, but it does allows a lot of flexability in getting the right gun for that officer. If we were any bigger, I don't think we would do it.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    All great choices SIXTO, there are advantages to working for a smaller department.
    Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    I guess I was under the impression that the caliber/gun was an economic issue more than anything. If multiple calibers are allowed, the PD has to purchase and stock all calibers of ammo. Then they have to keep up with inventory for each caliber; just seems like a lot of extra burden.

The if there's more than one gun (i.e. manufacturer) the same economics apply to the guns. Guns have to be bought and inventoried by both manufacturer and caliber. It would be possible to have to inventory Glocks, M&Ps, Sigs, whatever in both sizes and caliber.

The training officers would have to be familiar with the manual of arms for multiple platforms, etc.

Then there's maintenance on different guns require multiple training, certification, and stocked parts.

I don't see how a PD could afford to do all that. Of course it would help if the officers purchased their own guns, but diverse ammo supplies, maintenance, training, replacement parts, etc. still remain.

Tangle,

This is exactally what I was thinking as I posted this...
    Proud NRA member

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    In Texas, it is quite normal for most PDs and county SOs to require their officers/deputies to provide their own duty weapons. Some have narrower/stricter guidelines than others. An agency as large as Houston PD, for example, authorizes multiple models from S&W, SIG, SAI, and Glock, all .40s, and Harris County, which encompasses most of the Houston metro area, allows its deputies much wider latitude in the duty weapons they purchase and carry on duty.

I don't recall the sources or the figures, but nationwide, in the USA, the vast majority of LEOs must purchase/provide their own duty weapons.

What of sharing magazines during a gunfight? If a fool has expended all of his magazines, he is not going to be wasting any of MY limited handgun magazines' ammo! If a situation has gotten bad enough for me to pop the trunk release and break out the AR15s, however, well, I might then share AR mags, but only with guys I can trust not to spray and pray. The extra level of training required of officers to carry rifles on my PD generally weeds out the fools.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post

The main reason given for my PD standardizing on certain "DA" .40 duty autos in the late 1990's was economic (issued holsters, training /qual ammo), and to make training more standardized. One of the authorized pistols was single-stack; all were decock-only. Later, Glocks, DAK SIGs, and now the S&W M&P have relegated the decocker to relative obscurity among newer officers, as only the decocker SIGs are still on the "approved" list. When a pistol drops off the approved list, it remains "grandfathered" for the officers still carrying that model, which is why older officers are still seen with 1911s and sixguns, and such.

As for maintenance/parts, once out of the academy, we are on our own at my PD, and this seems true of most PDs in my region. No duty ammo is issued, either. Taxpayers around here seem happy to let public servants arm themselves.

Indeed, the military would not work well with that approach. I have read sources indicating that the British army, during the Victorian period, allowed officers to purchase their own revolvers, and they were responsible for all maintenance and parts. Of course, some British officers seem to have charged into battle as late as the World Wars with no weapon except a swagger stick, so perhaps they did not "need" firearms at all.

Rexter,[quote]
    "What of sharing magazines during a gunfight? If a fool has expended all of his magazines, he is not going to be wasting any of MY limited handgun magazines' ammo! If a situation has gotten bad enough for me to pop the trunk release and break out the AR15s, however, well, I might then share AR mags, but only with guys I can trust not to spray and pray. The extra level of training required of officers to carry rifles on my PD generally weeds out the fools."

Some carried ARs in the trunk, decades befor the concept of the patrol rifle came into existence.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links