Duty weapons of the Las Vegas Metro Police

This is a discussion on Duty weapons of the Las Vegas Metro Police within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was in Las Vegas this week for the Automotive AAPEX / SEMA show. As I walked from the Encore to the Sands convention center ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Duty weapons of the Las Vegas Metro Police

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar

I was in Las Vegas this week for the Automotive AAPEX / SEMA show. As I walked from the Encore to the Sands convention center each day LVMP motorcycle officers were on the street in front of the center directing traffic.

I noticed one officer was carrying a Springfield XD, while the other one was carrying a Glock. The next morning I stopped and asked one of the officers who was standing by the sidewalk about his weapon, which I could tell was a Glock. He carried a Glock 17 and told me the department authorized Glock, S&W M&P, Springfield XD, and I think SIG was the 4th choice. The officer could also choose between 9mm, .40 S&W and .45 ACP.

I found this to be rather strange thinking about the many complications associated with multiple weapons and calibers within the department.

Most departments I'm familiar with issue the same brand of sidearm and they are all usually the same caliber.
    Proud NRA member

Hmm, does sound strange.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

There is a trend toward more latitude in platforms and calibers, than there once was, in many departments
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

VIP Member
    I wonder if they have to buy them on their own. I am not LEO, but if I was and I had to spend my own $$$, I would appreciate having some choice.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

VIP Member
    If I remember right NYPD also gives the officer a choice of Sig, Glock or Smith.

They also may allow them to purchase their own weapons at department prices.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Sounds good to me. Shoot what the officer likes best and trust.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

The down side is that if you get in a shootout,and you run out of ammo,if your carrying a 9mm and your partner has a 45acp,he can't throw you a mag of ammo,this was one reason why a lot of departments carry one calibre and same brand of weapon
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    The down side is that if you get in a shootout,and you run out of ammo,if your carrying a 9mm and your partner has a 45acp,he can't throw you a mag of ammo,this was one reason why a lot of departments carry one calibre and same brand of weapon
    Yes, there is some truth to this, but I believe it was one of those things that was kinda overblown by the communication outlets. Officers generally are not in prolonged shoot outs and have a long gun they will break out if they know a fight is imminent. By then there is generally responders on the way. It is a sound practice, keeping things in uniformity, easier on training logistics and so on, but I dont think its really that big an issue on the street.

VIP Member
    My department will issue a Glock 22 or 23 if we want. However, we can carry what we choose with a few requirements.

No Taurus
    No 1911's
    Only 9mm, .40s+w, .45acp

I know lots of people will argue about the 1911's, the Chief loves shooting them and has many, but says they are not reliable enough for duty carry.

Don't flame this, it's HIS decision.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Strange but true. I also ran into a couple of officers on my last trip to Vegas and asked the same question and got the same answer. The two officers I spoke to were carrying a Springfield 1911 and a Glock 17.
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

I don't see it as a big problem. While the pistol is the primary weapon of an officer on patrol, it becomes secondary in larger conflicts such as riots and Hollywood type bank jobs. Then the long gun takes over and other than special weapons units most departments have standardized long guns based on the 12 gauge and .223 platforms.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

From Wikipedia

Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department has several qualifications on what type of firearm may be carried:

1) The firearm MUST be manufactured by:

Beretta, Colt, Glock, Kimber, Para Ordnance, Wilson Combat, Unertl Ordnance, Heckler & Koch, Ruger, Sig Sauer, Springfield Armory, Steyr Mannlicher, or Smith and Wesson.

2) The firearm MUST be chambered in either: 9mm, .40 S&W, or .45 ACP.

3) The firing mechanism must be:

Traditional Double/Single action (Beretta, H&K, Ruger, Sig Sauer pistols), Single action (1911-style pistols), Striker-fired or "safe-action" (i.e. Glock and Steyr "M" pistols), Double-Action only (i.e. Smith & Wesson 5946 pistol)

4) The finish must either be blued/black or stainless steel.

5) Barrel length must be at least 3.5 inches and not exceed 6 inches.

6) Grips must be either a high-impact plastic or rubber (black in color), or wood; and must be designed to be used with either hand.
    Not sure of accuracy of this.

VIP Member
    Even when I was a cop, we had the option of Smith' or Colt. However, the department issued Model-19's. If you wanted a CHP special, you had to buy it yourself. In my town the LEO's carry SIG's. Not sure if they have options unless you're undercover or a Sgt. and above.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Im under the grandfather clause which allows the m19 or m10 and equivallents. I mostly carry the issued g22, but sometimes it feels good to have the old faithfuls with you. I think it should be if you can qualify with it, and its good quality, then carry what you are comfortable with.

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I'd really like to know of a case in which that was a problem...

Further, as a cop friend of mine says, "If you used all your bullets and missed...what in hell makes you think that you are getting any of mine?"

If anything, it's the other way around...as my friend calls they 'bullet sponges', 'walking cover', 'decoys' & 'spare ammo bearers'...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links