Thinking of Joining the military

This is a discussion on Thinking of Joining the military within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am in the early stages of thinking of joining the military. I am 22 and currently earning a Masters degree in Health Administration and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinking of Joining the military

I am in the early stages of thinking of joining the military.

I am 22 and currently earning a Masters degree in Health Administration and know that the Army, Navy and Air Force all have health administration listed as a specialty.

I have sent my information to the Air Force to be contacted by a recruiter, but from what I can tell the closet health care recruiter is several hours away.

Does anyone have experience in healthcare administration in the military?

What is it like to go straight into Officer Training School when joining (As I assume I would..)?

Would anyone recommend this over going into a residency after graduation?

I believe my purpose in this post is to find anymore information as I await to speak with a recruiter directly.

Well, you could do a lot worse than joining the military.
    Your degree should get you a Commission, and being an officer will afford more opportunities to you.
    I wish you well in your endeavors.

ret...USCGR Officer...6 years!
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; November 7th, 2010 at 01:58 PM.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Most healthcare admin is handed by TRICARE....or AF civilian personnel.

What do you want to do in the military? The reason I ask is, depending on how you "counted" by the Air Force--that is, as a line officer or medical/health services officer (medical services corps), your degree specialty may not matter. In the MSC circles, they are big on certifications/licenses...and kind of a niche compared to line officers.

So...what do you really want to do in the military?
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

The military will come to you if they want your degree. Unless something has changed, the Health Care recruiter mainly deals with Nurses and Doctors. A Masters Degree will give you more options in the military than a B.S.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    I'll just go ahead and warn you that the only reason to join the Marine Corps is to be a Marine. If you are even considering another branch, take that one.

The Army and Navy are run like traditional military services. The Air Force is kind of like a corporation. The Marine Corps is a religion; and everyday is a holy day.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by cudexter View Post
    I am in the early stages of thinking of joining the military.

I am 22 and currently earning a Masters degree in Health Administration and know that the Army, Navy and Air Force all have health administration listed as a specialty.

I have sent my information to the Air Force to be contacted by a recruiter, but from what I can tell the closet health care recruiter is several hours away.

Does anyone have experience in healthcare administration in the military?

What is it like to go straight into Officer Training School when joining (As I assume I would..)?

Would anyone recommend this over going into a residency after graduation?

I believe my purpose in this post is to find anymore information as I await to speak with a recruiter directly.
    With a degree, especially a Masters, I would strongly encourage you to consider the Air Force. You will get the respect you deserve by everyone there. My wife spent 11 years at Randolph Air Force Base.
    A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    Most healthcare admin is handed by TRICARE....or AF civilian personnel.

What do you want to do in the military? The reason I ask is, depending on how you "counted" by the Air Force--that is, as a line officer or medical/health services officer (medical services corps), your degree specialty may not matter. In the MSC circles, they are big on certifications/licenses...and kind of a niche compared to line officers.

So...what do you really want to do in the military?
    I have read that civilian healthcare admins work with the military. But army.com, airforce.com, and navy.com all list "Healthcare administration" as a speciality under medical service corps.

I want to operate the business logistics of a medical center. Regardless if that is in the military or a private/public hospital not in the military.

Quote Originally Posted by Supertac45 View Post
    The military will come to you if they want your degree. Unless something has changed, the Health Care recruiter mainly deals with Nurses and Doctors. A Masters Degree will give you more options in the military than a B.S.
    Healthcare administration is listed as a part of their medical service corps which led me to the healthcare recruiter.

The military will come to me if they want my degree -- What do you mean? please elaborate.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    If I had a degree and the Air Force was interested in me, I'd jump on it--even if the offered field had nothing to do with my degree. It's the leadership lessons, not the job, that will further your life experiences. I had maintenance officers with degrees in everything from mechanical engineering to English Lit. The Eng. Lit ones seemed to be smarter (they listened to their experienced NCOs).

You've got the rest of your life to make a career in health admin. The military will give you once-in-a-lifetime experience that will carry you forever.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by Agave View Post
    I'll just go ahead and warn you that the only reason to join the Marine Corps is to be a Marine. If you are even considering another branch, take that one.

The Army and Navy are run like traditional military services. The Air Force is kind of like a corporation. The Marine Corps is a religion; and everyday is a holy day.
    Amen.

Joining the military is one of the best things I've ever done. Unsure of my future after high school, I did just that. I do believe it's one of the best experiences available, and no matter what, it will only be a benefit down the road no matter what you choose to do. Experiences make us who we are. Given the opportunity to support your country is a good option, and a good foundation that still demands respect. With the right attitude, it's more than a paycheck, and something that will last you a lifetime as well as continue your education however you see fit. Due to the current economy, I'd say the US military is one of the best options, and one of the nation's best employers. If I was your age, I'd do it all over again, and may have made a career out of it. You have my best wishes and intentions in making your choice.

My daughter is an Ensign in the Navy attending Medical School on their dime. She gets full military pay and benefits. After her undergrad degree, she went right into OCS. Her opportunities are endless!
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Just do it...which ever service (although I do have a favorite...)

Good luck...
    VCDL Member
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Theodore Roosevelt

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    If I had a degree and the Air Force was interested in me, I'd jump on it--even if the offered field had nothing to do with my degree. It's the leadership lessons, not the job, that will further your life experiences. I had maintenance officers with degrees in everything from mechanical engineering to English Lit. The Eng. Lit ones seemed to be smarter (they listened to their experienced NCOs).

You've got the rest of your life to make a career in health admin. The military will give you once-in-a-lifetime experience that will carry you forever.
    I second this, and this is after almost 30 years of military service, most as a reservist, and a career in health care that has included jobs as a COO and CIO (current).

I served in Services my entire career, and believe it or not that helped immensely in my civilian career field -- a Services commander does exactly what a hospital CEO does: oversees everything from putting people into a bed to getting the laundry and linen done, with food service, plant ops, and purchasing sandwiched in with ruling over clinical department heads.

I also agree: go Air Force.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Quote Originally Posted by bigmacque View Post
    I second this, and this is after almost 30 years of military service, most as a reservist, and a career in health care that has included jobs as a COO and CIO (current).

I served in Services my entire career, and believe it or not that helped immensely in my civilian career field -- a Services commander does exactly what a hospital CEO does: oversees everything from putting people into a bed to getting the laundry and linen done, with food service, plant ops, and purchasing sandwiched in with ruling over clinical department heads.

I also agree: go Air Force.
    Should I seek out Health Administration within the Air Force or should I just go in as an Officer?

The main reason I was considering was to do health administration.

Seek out the profession you want, or you may end up doing something that you have no interest in.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links