Laws and Rules on Guns In Mexico

This is a discussion on Laws and Rules on Guns In Mexico within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have a couple of questions/ideas I want to toss around regarding guns down in Olde Mexico. The understanding that I have is that gun ...

Thread: Laws and Rules on Guns In Mexico

I have a couple of questions/ideas I want to toss around regarding guns down in Olde Mexico.

1. The understanding that I have is that gun possession and ownership - particularly handguns - is theoretically easy under the Mexican Constitution, but in practice impossible due to actual legislative and administrative actions.
    2. Local police do not take there guns home - meaning that they are vunerable off duty, and the weapon has a strong Badge of Office component, unlike American police, which treat them as tools for the job (and potentially carry off duty).
    3. There is no legal structure to carry a concealed weapon in Mexico.
    4. Certain calibers are illegal - if they are used by the Mexican military.
    5. Is there a list of banned weapons, similar perhaps to what AG Eric Holder desires in his Heart of Hearts.
    6. Is there any sort of gun registration, in theory and/or practice?
    7. Culturally, what is the role of firearm ownership?

Does anybody have some clarifications? Your source?

taken off all bold - qks
    George H. Foster
    Orlando, Florida

this is what i found on wikipedia (the link has a good bit of info in it)
    Article 10: The inhabitants of the United Mexican States have a right to arms in their homes, for security and legitimate defense, with the exception of arms prohibited by federal law and those reserved for the exclusive use of the Army, Navy, Air Force and National Guard. Federal law will determine the cases, conditions, requirements, and places in which the carrying of arms will be authorized to the inhabitants.
    so basically they can ban what ever firearm they want. and generally if its reserved for the military, it can't be sold to the public. certain calibers are banned, IE: anything over 9mm pretty much. it seems CC is a possibility. but very difficult if you're not rich or have political connections.

Not sure where your question is coming from, but don't cross the border in Mexico with even an empty .22 shell casing in your car. The letter will invite all sorts of unwelcome attention, and even possible detention. And even if you make it past the border, you might not make it past the movable Federale check points near the border.

Hopefully it's a different story if you emigrate to Mexico and live there, but driving across the border is loaded with risks for the recreational shooter who's not fastidious about cleaning his vehicle.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

The gunshows here in Arizona are full of Mexicans looking for .38 Super 1911's. They are legal for Mexicans to own since it's not a military caliber.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    The gunshows here in Arizona are full of Mexicans looking for .38 Super 1911's. They are legal for Mexicans to own since it's not a military caliber.
    Although it is not legal for Mexicans who are not US and AZ citizens to purchase them. Last show I went to, about a year ago at the State fairgrounds, the gendarmes were arresting a Mexican police officer who thought he could buy guns here.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

They use straw buyers. Pockets full of cash.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Quote Originally Posted by GHFLRLTD View Post
    I have a couple of questions/ideas I want to toss around regarding guns down in Olde Mexico.

1. The understanding that I have is that gun possession and ownership - particularly handguns - is theoretically easy under the Mexican Constitution, but in practice impossible due to actual legislative and administrative actions.
    2. Local police do not take there guns home - meaning that they are vunerable off duty, and the weapon has a strong Badge of Office component, unlike American police, which treat them as tools for the job (and potentially carry off duty).
    5. Is there a list of banned weapons, similar perhaps to what AG Eric Holder desires in his Heart of Hearts.

taken off all bold - qks
    My reference for this is that I lived & worked in Monterrey for 10 years. Handguns and hunting rifles & shotguns are very easy to find. You can join a hunting club or two, as I did. Membere always had something for sale. There are also ads in the newspapers. You do not want to get caught bringing any kind of guns or ammo into the country. BUT once they are there nobody cares where they came from as long as they are registered. You just take whatever you have purchased to the nearest military base. There they have an office dedicated to the registration of firearms. All done on typewriters. You have to prove you are in the country legally and that you belong to a recognized club. One club in Monterrey is only an office to facilitate paperwork. You can spend the morning there waiting in line or pay a fixer to do it for you. All he needs is your paperwork & gun.

What you get back is an official form saying that the specific firearm is legally registered, and that you can use it for hunting, target practice and home protection. That gets you past the roadblocks.

Ammo is for sale in several stores in town, but you need your Army form to buy any. Anything 9mm and above is prohibited for civilian use. .38 special & .22 are very common. Rifles can't be auto, just bolt, lever, ss or pump. Guns are expensive and cost 1.5 to 2x what they do here, so it is generally looked at as an upper class activity. You can not carry a handgun at all. There is no list of prohibited weapons, just prohibited calibers & auto rifles.

As always the unregisterable can be registered if you know the right people.

Cherokee Slim
    NRA, SASS #72605, ROII, WBRO, Ocoee Rangers, Tennessee Mountain Maurauders. Semper Fi

Join a cartel then if you get caught they will just blame America and hillary and obama will apologize for you and try to punish their own citizens.

Quote Originally Posted by GHFLRLTD View Post

taken off all bold - qks
    Yes I can speak to this! My verification is that I have lived full time in Mexico for the last 4 years.
    1. NO hand gun possssion is NOT easy in Mexico. The law says that you may own a handgun (no cal.larger than 9mm) but in actual practice it is nearly impossible. You must first obtain a permit to purchase but the actual act is so complicated and conviluted that there is not a single attorney here where I live (Near Guadalajara) who take it on for any amount of money. If by some shear act of patience you do manage to obtain the permit to purchase you have go to an offical Armory store. The only one I know of (Yes I have checked around) is located in Mexico City, an expensive and time consuming trip.
    2. Local Police are not allowed to take their firearms home with them. The main reason is that most police officers make less than $500 US dollars a month and are required to purchase their own ammo. Also the Police Departments own the firearms and usually only have enough to outfit the on duty shift.
    3. NO ONE in Mexico is allowed to carry concealed Leaglly.
    4.See answer in #1
    5.As far as I know there are no banned weapons, BUT no one but police and military (and certain Private Security Co's) can have an automatic weapon so that pretty much limits you to a handgun 9mm or smaller.
    6. You don't need to register you weapon, HOWEVER if you shoot someone and the weapon is not legally registered to you it PRISON TIME. Taking a life in Mexico is serious business (except for the drug cartels who do it with impunity)
    7. Mexico is a catholic country, so judge for yourself. People do have private guns here, (my neighbor, a mexican, has a 6" smith .38) so culturally I would guess its acceptable.

I have checked into it, I would love to own a handgun or shotgun for home protection but the task was so daunting that I finally gave up. Now I'm selling my home and plan to move back to the states (Arizona) where owning and carrying a handgun is almost required by law. Hope this helps.

Links