Veteran's Day-2010

This is a discussion on Veteran's Day-2010 within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; As a retired Air Force guy and Vietnam Vet, I am now one of those old men, hair greyed, a grandparent, watching and praying for ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Veteran's Day-2010

Veteran's Day-2010

As a retired Air Force guy and Vietnam Vet, I am now one of those old men, hair greyed, a grandparent, watching and praying for those men and women that are serving in our Armed Forces today. I am still alive however, and I remember. All of us, I'm sure, fought in our individual wars in hopes that our sons, daughters, grandsons, granddaughters would not be called upon to spill their blood on foreign soil. Tomorrow we will celebrate another Veteran's Day, paying homage to all who served or are now serving. As we say, "All gave some, some gave all." I will never forget our POW/MIAs. May they be watched over and have peace wherever they are and whatever their fate. So tomorrow I salute those WARRIORS past, present and future, living and dead, my brothers and sisters in uniform, who've answered the call and will continue to answer the call.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Well said, First Sergeant. "My" wars are still going on, and I have lots of friends still in harms way, and some whose blood will forever darken the desert sands. Let us not forget.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

I second that.

Well said.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

Senior Moderator
    Thanks to ALL veterans!

Words are just not enough to express the appreciation for your many sacrifices and efforts that keep us free and our country safe. Many thanks vets!
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Less we forget !! I will always have an arm out for a Veteran and for those still fighting I am proud to call Brother .
    "If you want peace, prepare for war." Si vis pacem, para bellum.
    NRA Member - GRNC Member
    Old Paratroopers never die , we just regroup!!
    82nd ABN DIV.. GOD Bless our Troops!!
    Foward Observer 3/505thPIR - A/319thAFAR
    87-91 "Just Cause - Desert Sheild/Storm"

VIP Member
    Amen. A special 'thank you' to the young vets who are fighting today's wars. I take great comfort in knowing that our safety is now in your competant hands. You continue to make us proud.

Quote Originally Posted by First Sgt View Post
    As a retired Air Force guy and Vietnam Vet, I am now one of those old men, hair greyed, a grandparent, watching and praying for those men and women that are serving in our Armed Forces today. I am still alive however, and I remember. All of us, I'm sure, fought in our individual wars in hopes that our sons, daughters, grandsons, granddaughters would not be called upon to spill their blood on foreign soil. Tomorrow we will celebrate another Veteran's Day, paying homage to all who served or are now serving. As we say, "All gave some, some gave all." I will never forget our POW/MIAs. May they be watched over and have peace wherever they are and whatever their fate. So tomorrow I salute those WARRIORS past, present and future, living and dead, my brothers and sisters in uniform, who've answered the call and will continue to answer the call.
    Nice post First Sgt, Thank you and all the Vets for your service and sacrifice, "We are a better Nation because of you"
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. -- Thomas Jefferson

Well said 1st Sgt. I know I hope that my children or grandchildren (that I hope to have) never have to go back to SW Asia, but I fear they may. But there are competent warfighters out there right now doing whatever they can to keep us safe back in America. The GWOT has become very personal to me, having had too many friends shed their blood in it, and the majority of my friends still fighting it (I guess I am too in a less pro-active way than while deployed).

But to all the vets of all generations, thank you, it is only because of those that came before that I can do so now. And for all the fallen, I know I for one will never forget the sacrifice made so my loved ones and I may live free.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Last edited by RETSUPT99; November 10th, 2010 at 10:48 PM.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Well said 1st Sgt.! I'm sure glad the kids of today are getting a better welcome home that the guys in my day did! I don't really know why, but the Vets returning from WWI, WWII, Korea, and the recent battles in Iraq and Afghanistan all got a decent welcome home, what happen to all of us who went to Vietnam?
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Very well said and I echo your sentiments 100%. A hug and a beer to all Vets, active and former.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Good post, First Sergeant.

As a Vietnam combat veteran whose birthday just happens to fall on Veterans Day I think everybody should buy a veteran a drink this Veterans Day! I will take every opportunity myself, including buying a few for other vets!

Best regards!

Former Sergeant, 11F4P, 101st Airborne Division and 1st Cavalry Division, Vietnam 1969-71
    Lobo Gun Leather
    serious equipment for serious business, since 1972
    www.lobogunleather.com

To all who served and are still serving, thank you.

To all those who have served and who are serving our country, thank you.

I wish to extend special thanks to my best friend, Sgt. Jerusha Jennings of the United States Air Force.
    A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links