Any MO national guard, or Marine reserves recruiters??

This is a discussion on Any MO national guard, or Marine reserves recruiters?? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Been thinking about joining but have some questions. I like how all the numbers I call say, "Oh, youll have to contact a recruiter for ...

Thread: Any MO national guard, or Marine reserves recruiters??

Any MO national guard, or Marine reserves recruiters??

Been thinking about joining but have some questions. I like how all the numbers I call say, "Oh, youll have to contact a recruiter for that info." Really??

Anyhow, at 27, 5' 6", 160lbs, a wife and 3 kids under 4 I wonder if I would even still qualify for service. I got a great paying job (Class A truck driver, home everyday) now but its a JOB not a career (read: NO benefits) Was thinking of joining up for the training and networking aspects, plus doing something worthwhile and a man could be proud of to his kids. I should have just enlisted in the Marines after HS, but life took hold and that never happened. Any help or words of wisdom??

2. Remove Ads

I can't speak specifically for the Marine Reserves or National Guard (I'm active Army), but you can find the height weight standards in AR 600-9 and the fitness standards in FM 21-20 (google them). One thing to consider, though, is if your current job pays well, then when you go through training (basic and AIT) you may be making less cash per month than what you make now (total training time could be several months depending on MOS). You can get the pay rates at www.dfas.mil, just look up the pay tables. I did battery command of an AIT battery, and it wasn't uncommon for some of the older privates to have serious financial issues because of that initial drop in pay. I'm guessing that with 3 kids under 4 your wife probably doesn't work/doesn't work full time, so it's something you should plan for ahead of time. Also, make sure you find out the total training time; some MOSs have additional skill identifier training you will be required to take that may not show up when you pick the MOS at MEPS. You may need to call the base where the MOS is taught and ask (or have your recruiter do it). For example, one of the programs I was responsible for showed up as 10 weeks on Soldiers MEPS orders, but included a 10 week ASI course for a total of 20 weeks. (20 + 9 weeks of basic + transit times; you can see where that pay issue difference can get big quick)
    AlabamaConstitution of 1819: That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defence of himself and the state.
    The world doesn't owe you anything. It was here first.-Mark Twain
    "Life's tough. It's tougher if you're stupid."-John Wayne
    Sig P228; Micro Desert Eagle; S&W M&P Compact .357 sig

Thanks for the input. She works full time. Since my job is 3rd shift and hers normal I watch (ed) the kids during the day. Now with some stuff changing we had to put the oldest two in daycare and I still watch the baby but she sleeps more so I sleep more.

Think about family seperation. I'm retired military; but, it's really hard on marriages and there is a high divorce rate. What does your wife think? With 3 young children, I'd say no.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Quote Originally Posted by Supertac45 View Post
    Think about family seperation. I'm retired military; but, it's really hard on marriages and there is a high divorce rate. What does your wife think? With 3 young children, I'd say no.
    Thats why WE were thinking Guard or Reserves. Having not talked to anyone "in the know" yet we assumed it would be the occasional "state of emergency" , weekend type deal unless the SHTF really happens. If it was for no family it would be a no brainer and just go "all in".

Quote Originally Posted by tjsjr View Post
    Thats why WE were thinking Guard or Reserves. Having not talked to anyone "in the know" yet we assumed it would be the occasional "state of emergency" , weekend type deal unless the SHTF really happens. If it was for no family it would be a no brainer and just go "all in".
    Where the hell have you been? Guard and Reserve units have been deploying for 1 year and longer active duty tours in A-Stan and the Sand Pit for 8 years now. Just because Obama's in office, you think things are winding down? Many Guard and Reserve units have been deployed 3 and 4 times, each time for 6 months to a year.

We get another major terror attack similar to 9/11 on home soil, and you'll be gone for the duration. And there's more trouble on the horizon. At the very minimum, we stand a very good chance of dealing with Iran militarily before it's all over with.

Do Not Assume you're gonna be a weekend warrior!

I'm not saying don't serve your country... But you better have your head screwed on straight when you make this decision and make sure your wife has complete disclosure of the situation. She should have a share in the decision.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Well, Bark'n, nothing like getting chewed on. THATS WHY I ASKED!. Thanks for your input.

Just trying to illuminate the terrain which is before you! And I'm definitely not telling you you shouldn't enlist. I was active duty Marines during peace time and ended up in Granada and Beirut.

The point is, you never know what will happen with foreign policy. I had no problem with my deployments, It's why I joined the Marines in the first place. But those who join just for benefits, and money for college and think "one weekend a month and two weeks a year" often times get a rude awakening one day and say, "This isn't what I bargained for!"

With a wife and 3 kids at home, it's something to consider. It's one thing to be in the military when you get married and start a family while you're already in. But to start off having a family first, is something you have to consider lending different weight to your decision.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Just trying to illuminate the terrain which is before you! And I'm definitely not telling you you shouldn't enlist. I was active duty Marines during peace time and ended up in Granada and Beirut.

The point is, you never know what will happen with foreign policy. I had no problem with my deployments, It's why I joined the Marines in the first place. But those who join just for benefits, and money for college and think "one weekend a month and two weeks a year" often times get a rude awakening one day and say, "This isn't what I bargained for!"

With a wife and 3 kids at home, it's something to consider. It's one thing to be in the military when you get married and start a family while you're in. But to start off having a family first, is something you have to consider lending different weight to your decision.
    Thanks again for your input. Please dont think that is me. The benefits I would hope to enjoy would come after my time served. (in theory anyhow)

We're good... And that was just my drill instructor barking in the first post. I really wasn't chewing on you!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

I think Bark'n pretty much laid it out for you.

My advice, seeing as how you have a brood and a spouse. If you want to keep the spouse, it's funny how we get used to having them around, and have a decent chance at seeing your brood mature, stay home and be a Daddy. As said by Bark'n, it's a lot different when you are already in the military and get married.

Biker

Thanks guys. I told the wife what Barkin said about deployments when she got home and her mouth hit the floor just in time to catch her eyeballs!

Yeah, my wife talked with her brother last week. Her nephew is an Apache pilot in the Army Reserves. He was in A-Stan for 14 months, but his next deployment is going to Bosnia! She asked what the hell are we deploying to Bosnia for and her brother told her that they are starting to have more problems with the Muslims there.

Like I said, you never know how foreign policy will change. I joined in 1981 at a time when the military had not done much well over a decade. Essentially since the close of the Vietnam war. Within two years of joining, I was deployed into two combat zones in different parts of the world. Essentially peace keeping missions. One was a hot rescue mission and the other was to evacuate and support operations after the Marine barracks were bombed. Not like this war on terror we are in the middle of now, but the bullets outgoing and incoming were just as real and deadly.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

I'm going to throw this out there as an AD Jarhead. In your situation, I would not consider the Marine Reserves, depending on your MOS and some other things, your deployment tempo could be high. The Marines are certainly still all in when it comes to Afghan, and reserve units get sent there. Plus you are looking at 13 weeks of boot camp, plus whatever MOS school you go to.

The company with the highest casualty rate in the Iraq War was a Reserve infantry company, I know this because several of my friends were in it. The Marines have to do more with less money than the rest of the military today, and the reserve units usually have to get the job done with even less money for new gear and equipment.

The Guard/ Army Reserves may be different, but that is just things as I see it.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I have to agree with Supertac45. I am also retired military, from way back during the cold war. First off, the Marines will peel the excess weight off in a hurry, and get you down to "running size". But seriously, when I was active duty, I had 3 sons and a wife at home. The last 8 years of my career, about 75% of the time, I was deployed to a remote location. That really took a toll on not only my family, but me as well.
    This new military has routinely extended the tours, with very little forethoughts in mind, (in my opinion). I can only imagine what kind of "mindgames" that is playing on those who are deployed. In my situation, I was deployed for a 3 month deployment, which was later reduced to 1 month (on paper) but I was expected to do the entire 90 days +, with no complaints. This was grossly unfair, but the military expects you to "suck it up", and go on with business at hand. (my boss was a drunk, and too busy in the club, to tend to expediting the paperwork)(bitter, you ask?, yes, even after all these years)
    In today's world, these tactics seem to be an everyday occurance. Not to my liking, and I'm sure it'd be very rough on your family as well, not to say the low pay, until you get some rank, where you can live comfortably, which will take an extended period of time, living in almost poverty.

Links