Marine Imposter Sentenced

This is a discussion on Marine Imposter Sentenced within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by TonySoprano That was great so see it happen to a fake. Now wish they do the same to all the other fakes ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Marine Imposter Sentenced

Quote Originally Posted by TonySoprano
    That was great so see it happen to a fake. Now wish they do the same to all the other fakes dishonoring us vets.

Yup

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    Welcome to a special edition of "Justice -- Montana Style"....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

He got what he deserves. Fake vets are something that we do not need.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Crunch
    The article makes it clear that Horvath made a false statement about his military service to his probation officer. Whatever form this statement was in, whether written or oral, it was serious enough to get him prosecuted and convicted.
    the form of his presentation doesnt concern me. his legal obligation to be honest at the time the statement was made is what should concern us all.

This guy Horvath doesn't deserve any sympathy.
    please dont misunderstand my intentions here. im not justifying what he did in any way, and im certainly not sympathizing with this slug. who really cares what some two bit liar babbled? it doesnt matter if he claimed to be a veteran, an astronaut, or secret squirrel.....unless he was under some form of oath then it was more unamerican to prosecute him for it than what he did to begin with. i mean whats next, prosecution for lying to the officer who pulled you over? "no officer, i didnt know that i was speeding" "no officer, i didnt see the light turn red". while lying in any form is wrong, prosecution for statements made without being under oath is a much larger issue than the ramblings of some two bit loser.

all that said, im not at this point saying that the prosecution was wrong because i dont know if he was under an oath or not at the time the statement was given.......but as an american who is not willing to sacrifice any of my freedoms under the guise of patriotism, i at least have to question it. if it is determined that he was under a legal obligation to be honest then i celebrate this sentence. if he was not, it scares the hell out of me.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Make him wear the sign standing at the entrance to the enlisted club at Camp Pendleton, Calif., late one payday friday afternoon. Oh,I'd think just one hour would do it.

If he survives he could call himself a Marine. -------

Center of the World Ma! Center of the World!
    I like the way this Judges mind works! I wonder if he is as creative with other sentences.
    "Hell of a thing, killin' a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."
    - William Munny (Clint Eastwood in the Unfrogivin)

“The graveyards are full of indispensable men.” – Napoleon Bonaparte

“My Idea of a fair fight is beating baby seals with a club”

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    IIRC a feller in Colorado Springs set up a web site/org to track the millitairy fakers , and if avalable prosicute them , i honestly didnt pay a lot of attention to it since i have never been militairy and its not a concerern for me lol but it was on fox a while back ...
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Administrator
    Sign him up. Volunteer him. Marine Boot Polish Boy for 2 years.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Military Imposter

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter
    Sign him up. Volunteer him. Marine Boot Polish Boy for 2 years.
    Being that I too have served, and retired with a military connected disability, I can be spotted at least once a month at the local Veterans hospital for one thing or another. Be it for prescription drug orders, or general visits for follow up care, I don't personally have any interest in being a "Fraud Cop" or "Poser" outer, since I'm surrounded by those that have served, and most have seen combat, or at the very least injured in part by thier duties while serving in the armed forces of the United States.

I see many vets that are in far worse shape than me that have served thier country honorably, and have the physical and mental scars of thier service. Even in the waiting rooms of the VA medical centers, I have run across some entusiastic claims of service with the Navy SEALs, and Army Special Forces, Rangers, etc. Some are believable, and some are not!! One thing is for sure, if they are in the VA center, they have been injured/service connected and have an honorable discharge to boot !!

However, creating a lie of life in the military with such things as posing for pics with an uniform with decorations, when one has not even served is a punishable crime, as is in this case. Many men with employment in the community as law enforcement and civic political clout have been outed for thier claims of military service on thier resumes. Once you've written these claims on a traceable document, such as a resume, or in this case with a probation officer, you've gone a bit more up the spectrum than wooing the nice looking girl in the local tavern with tales of military service with the SEAL Teams, or super secret "Black Side" forces such as Delta or CIA SAD. Most of the men of the SOF forces don't really give a damn about these types, but those that force the creation of a living lie for further gain in the community or employment are ...................well, getting themselves into what we call.................."sleepless nights" with the how, where, when to create these lies. One such imposter, recently in California actually purchased every single military item that was possible to purchase for display in his office where he was the CEO of rather large non-public held business. Such things as creating pics of himself with full dress uniform, with SEAL Trident, Naval Parachutist wings, numerous ribbons for citations never earned, and even a purple heart ribbon!! Hanging on his wall were fake certificates from advanced military special operations training, with even dates of graduation!! All to be found to be false, never earned, nor ever ever part of any manifest of graduations from such schools. Must be a full time job just to create this fantasy?

There's an old saying "Men that have never served, often think poorly of themselves" In these cases, not poorly of themselves, but poorly enough of the real men that served to dishonor them with thier fake claims.
    Perhaps your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    OUch, that hurt.!!!
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

1943 - 2009

Update

Quote Originally Posted by NaturalSelection

if it is determined that he was under a legal obligation to be honest then i celebrate this sentence. if he was not, it scares the hell out of me.
    Well, I've done some more research on this case to hopefully address my fellow Montanan's concerns. No flaming intended, I just want to put out some info that was unclear in the news article.

Horvath pleaded guilty and was convicted of making a false official statement under Title 18 USC, Part 1, Chapter 47, Sec 1001. He lied about his military service to his Federal probation officer, who was conducting a pre-sentencing investigation on a previous conviction.
    He was definitely under oath in the meaning of the law.

He's in famous company, tho. Martha Stewart was convicted of the same crime.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

He was definitely under oath in the meaning of the law.
    that being the case, im glad to see he got what he deserved.

Lead Moderator
    (Apologies ahead of time....... This was just TO good to let go! )

He's in famous company, tho. Martha Stewart was convicted of the same crime.
    CLAIMING TO BE A MARINE??

Seriously though, I think anyone caught should be punished, in some cases I don't care how as long as it costs them in some way.

I work in a federal installation and one of the security dog handlers has an EOD Badge on his uniform. When I get the chance I intend to find out how he "earned" it, and if he didn't graduate from EOD school I'm going to have a long talk with the installation head of security.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

VIP Member
    It's a good start... we still have a war going on, I'd say send him there!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

DC Founder
    That really is despicable, as Chris said. After he was done with the sandwich board, he should have had to do community service at a VA hospital.....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links