TSA Absurdness - Page 2

TSA Absurdness

This is a discussion on TSA Absurdness within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by bigmacque I do agree with this, btw. I'll live with the profiling. I'd rather be the victim of a profiling mistake and ...

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: TSA Absurdness

Quote Originally Posted by bigmacque View Post
    I do agree with this, btw. I'll live with the profiling. I'd rather be the victim of a profiling mistake and at least know people are really watching. Of course, at six foot three with graying red hair and a classic Irish face, chances are good I won't often be mistaken for Achmed.
    I think we need to be careful going here. It may be that it is the best option but it worries me. How do you know that TSA is not going to see you as a "possibly violent person (we all know that Irish like to fight, right?) that "posts on a gun forum" and that you won't be "selected"? Remember "reason" is not playing a very big role in this circus.
    We're all in favor of reducing violent crime. It's just that pro-gunners have a method that is proven effective. Anti-gunners don't.
    ---
    John Moses Browning day is January 24th, 2011

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    I would probably get pulled aside from time to time -- I can be fidgety, anxious, especially if I'm running late for a flight that has a connection that I really need to make. It's probably inevitable that sooner or later someone would pick me out and wonder if I've not used my Preparation-H that morning.

Whether anyone likes it or not, profiling happens -- and we all do it. Situational awareness could be profiling -- you see someone that looks goofy to you in any given situation, you're profiling them. I don't have an issue with profiling. Will it take time to properly train people to do it and do it well? Yep. Is it worth the time and the aggravation and the mis-steps along the way? Yep.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    At what point will Americans finally have enough?
    Hopefully, this week.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadRunner71 View Post
    Some of us have had enough. I decided two years ago that I would only fly in emergencies. Otherwise, I like to drive. Yes, it may take longer to get there, but when I drive I am still treated like a human being and not dangerous cargo. The up side is that this country is still beautiful in many places and it can not be appreciated from an airplane.
    Due to a medical implant my doctor advised me not to go through metal detectors or scanners, bypassing them automatically requires that I submit to the grope. No thanks I will drive instead.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Due to a medical implant my doctor advised me not to go through metal detectors or scanners, bypassing them automatically requires that I submit to the grope. No thanks I will drive instead.
    Yes, this is exactly the situation Mrs H is in. She can't go through the machines, which in the past meant she would get a pat down. Generally speaking these have gone very well, particularly at the airport in our home town. However, TSA has changed how the pat-downs are done, and now they have gone overboard.

The history of the last 9 years, and even the 9 or so years before have shown that most people are quite willing to be cooperative and "get along" with these pre-flight searches. Sadly, TSA has continued to push the envelope of what people will tolerate and now they are oh so surprised AND WORRIED that things will get badly disrupted Wednesday. What did they expect?

At the risk of being a broken record, Pistole and Napolitano must go.

VIP Member
    Candidly, I'm getting tired of the hype and the media's efforts at turning the TSA into the bad guys.

What would you all prefer? Nothing? Or profiling, as the Israeli's do? Israel airline security personel interview every single passenger, so get ready to have to be at the airport four hours before your scheduled flight.

If you've been in an airport screening line lately, within the last week or so, and you listen to people coming out of the scanners, most of them are surprised that there's been all this hoopla -- I've heard people say, "is that all there is to it?", or "I don't see what the big deal is." People have a choice: scan or pat down. If you decline the scan, you will get patted down. So take the scan if you don't want to be patted. It's not a big deal. Or .... here's a choice: don't fly.

And yes, I'm tired of all the "don't let the terrorists win by making us scared", and all that crap. Nonsense.

Time for folks to adopt a little common sense, and candidly, TSA is not the bad guys.
    +1

People will complain right up until another plane gets hijacked and crashed or blown up over a major area and then they can start complaining about the lack of security and how the TSA failed to protect the people.

Myself and my family don't fly anywhere unless it is unavoidable. I don't fly because I don't think it's safe enough to make it worth the risk...

I have stopped flying if I want to go some where I will drive or I rediscovered train travel.
    NRA Life member:
    Maine Non Resident Permit
    New Hampshire Resident Permit
    Connecticut Non Resident Permit
    Utah Non Resident Permit
    Mass Non Resident Permit

Yes. I would prefer profiling over random harassment of everyone without the use of common sense.

Stop, detain and search those that may fit a specific profile, be acting odd or might just NEED to be detained for one reason or another. But to disrobe a little boy in public? To manhandle a 3 year old girl? To arrest a woman for having applesauce snack packs? To slam a woman to the floor for having contact lense cleaning that she voluntarily surrendered?

C'mon. Are any of you actually trying to rationalize or defend those actions? Really?

Nobody can be that lacking in common sense that they are willing to accept these actions by the TSA because they are better than other alternatives (profiling) or you believe they are truly protecting us from another attack.

lol Just absurd.

Candidly, I'm getting tired of the hype and the media's efforts at turning the TSA into the bad guys.

What would you all prefer? Nothing? Or profiling, as the Israeli's do? Israel airline security personel interview every single passenger, so get ready to have to be at the airport four hours before your scheduled flight.

If you've been in an airport screening line lately, within the last week or so, and you listen to people coming out of the scanners, most of them are surprised that there's been all this hoopla -- I've heard people say, "is that all there is to it?", or "I don't see what the big deal is." People have a choice: scan or pat down. If you decline the scan, you will get patted down. So take the scan if you don't want to be patted. It's not a big deal. Or .... here's a choice: don't fly.

And yes, I'm tired of all the "don't let the terrorists win by making us scared", and all that crap. Nonsense.

Time for folks to adopt a little common sense, and candidly, TSA is not the bad guys.

TSA employee or relative of one?

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EB31 View Post
    TSA employee or relative of one?
    Neither. Just tired of hype and media reports that don't tell the whole tale, and people getting bent out of shape and going on tirades without the whole story. Our media does us no favors.

No, no one can rationalize the behavior of a few people, but those few people can fired and the process move forward with calls to disband the entire process.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Let's call a spade a spade. The suggestion of profiling is really racial profiling. Selecting people that LOOK like they could be a threat is what is being suggested. Especially anyone who looks middle eastern. I know Italians that look middle eastern. Greeks that look middle eastern. Jews look middle eastern.

'Jihad Jane' didn't look middle eastern (blond hair blue eyes) yet she was a terrorist. The 'Christmas bomber' was black. These physical characteristics should be profiled also?

Aren't the rights in America for ALL people or do they only apply to a select few? When you profile you take away the rights of certain people and isn't that opposite of what everyone is preaching about demanding constitutional correctness?
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

Quote Originally Posted by punk rocka View Post
    +1

People will complain right up until another plane gets hijacked and crashed or blown up over a major area and then they can start complaining about the lack of security and how the TSA failed to protect the people.

Myself and my family don't fly anywhere unless it is unavoidable. I don't fly because I don't think it's safe enough to make it worth the risk...

I'll say it again...I fly a fair amount and have NEVER been treated in an abusive manor nor have I been molested by the TSA. I have always been treated with the utmost respect. I also found the whole process a VERY minor inconvenience. The media is taking isolated cases and blowing them way out of proportion.

BTW... flying is still the safest mode of transportation.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

Quote Originally Posted by Sig35seven View Post
    Let's call a spade a spade. The suggestion of profiling is really racial profiling. Selecting people that LOOK like they could be a threat is what is being suggested. Especially anyone who looks middle eastern. I know Italians that look middle eastern. Greeks that look middle eastern. Jews look middle eastern.

'Jihad Jane' didn't look middle eastern (blond hair blue eyes) yet she was a terrorist. The 'Christmas bomber' was black. These physical characteristics should be profiled also?

Aren't the rights in America for ALL people or do they only apply to a select few? When you profile you take away the rights of certain people and isn't that opposite of what everyone is preaching about demanding constitutional correctness?
    That's if you make the assumption that terrorism is limited to middle easterners. I don't make that mistake, I feel it's ignorant and small minded. Terrorism comes is all sizes, races, nationalities and religions.

Metal detectors for everyone. Wand for everyone. Pat down for those that "fit the bill"...ie nervous, jittery, over dressed in the wrong type of weather or a million other indicators OTHER than the color of their skin.

Again, harassing little kids and elderly women is not preventing terrorist attacks. Ransacking somone's travel snacks and arresting them is not preventing terrorism. It's retarded, plain and simple.

The lack of common sense the TSA demonstrates is astonishing. The lack of common sense demonstrated in some of these threads in regards to the TSA, the government and terrorism is even more astonishing.

I have an implanted medical device that sets off a hand wand,I was patted down and it's not even close to a frisk by cops,I showed them the bulge from my device and they said ok,your good to go.If you think Terrorists aren't probing our defenses on a regular basis you live in a dream world.All they need to do is set off a bomb on any mass transit system,and they cripple a city,and strike fear into people
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    ,I was patted down and
    Was this prior to Nov 1, 2010? If so, the rules have changed and the method has changed since your last experience.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links