TSA Absurdness - Page 5

TSA Absurdness

This is a discussion on TSA Absurdness within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by packinnova I can agree with this on the business side. I've already been playing that game here where I'm at. We've switched ...

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: TSA Absurdness

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    I can agree with this on the business side. I've already been playing that game here where I'm at. We've switched to doing almost entirely remote/virtual meetings and video conference calls..
    Given the communications options in today's world, I'm amazed that business travel is still as prevalent as it has been. Also, given the recession, I'm amazed that the airlines claim to be profitable this year. It seems counterintuitive.

A poor analogy, but I'll put it up. My office used to spend bundles on DHL, FedX, and similar. The last few years almost all of that same material goes by .pdf files or similar web based submissions. Probably saved 10 K. And similarly, with family in Australia who we rarely saw in the past, today we use Skype and are as close to them as we would be if they lived a couple hundred miles away. Or, for yet another example, we got text messages from someone in Brunei. In the past it would have taken airlines to carry a letter.

It won't take much to push both the business traveler and the pleasure traveler out of the airline ticket market. There are lots of forces moving to accomplish this anyway. TSA is just one more bit of pain that people will eventually decide they can do with out in many instances.

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    Not for nuttin', this article was intriguing.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

VIP Member
    And our Glorious Benevolent Leaders do have the option of bypassing all security provided they lower themselves to flying commercial with their subjects.

TSA: Some gov't officials to skip airport security

WASHINGTON (AP) — Cabinet secretaries, top congressional leaders and an exclusive group of senior U.S. officials are exempt from toughened new airport screening procedures when they fly commercially with government-approved federal security details.

Aviation security officials would not name those who can skip the controversial screening, but other officials said those VIPs range from top officials like Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner and FBI Director Robert Mueller to congressional leaders like incoming House Speaker John Boehner, R-Ohio, who avoided security before a recent flight from Washington's Reagan National Airport.
    http://enews.earthlink.net/article/t...c-408f132c1e40
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    And our Glorious Benevolent Leaders do have the option of bypassing all security provided they lower themselves to flying commercial with their subjects.

http://enews.earthlink.net/article/t...c-408f132c1e40
    Another example of the utterly tone deaf Pistole. Releasing that info this week in particular is a slap at all of the rest of us.

I actually have no issue with high officials by-passing security. Boehner, who I can't stand frankly, is about to be third in line for the presidency. So, I'm willing to cut him slack on this issue. It makes some sense to operate that way. However, making a point of stating this special privilege at this time was a PR blunder piled on top of several other PR blunders made by both Pistole and Napolitano during the past few days.

The TSA's administrator, John Pistole, is treated like any other traveler when he flies, waiting in security lines and walking through X-ray machines, including the full-body imagers, his spokesman said.
    Gimme the gloves... He looks suspicious to me...
    We're all in favor of reducing violent crime. It's just that pro-gunners have a method that is proven effective. Anti-gunners don't.
    ---
    John Moses Browning day is January 24th, 2011

VIP Member

Just the thing for the modest air travler.

Underwear invention protects privacy at airport
    DENVER — It's a special kind of underwear — with a strategically placed fig leaf design — and a Colorado man says it'll get you through the airport screeners with your dignity intact.
    http://www.wral.com/news/technology/story/8664433/
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

doesn't this defeat the purpose of the scanner? can't someone hide something in the underwear?
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Another example of the utterly tone deaf Pistole. Releasing that info this week in particular is a slap at all of the rest of us.

I actually have no issue with high officials by-passing security. Boehner, who I can't stand frankly, is about to be third in line for the presidency. So, I'm willing to cut him slack on this issue. It makes some sense to operate that way. However, making a point of stating this special privilege at this time was a PR blunder piled on top of several other PR blunders made by both Pistole and Napolitano during the past few days.
    I do. Is it practical? No, but I believe our elected officials should always be held to the same standards they set and expect us to abide by with no complaints. If they can't do that, they don't belong in the position they are in and should be removed post haste.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    I do. Is it practical? No, but I believe our elected officials should always be held to the same standards they set and expect us to abide by with no complaints. If they can't do that, they don't belong in the position they are in and should be removed post haste.
    +1
    As one long dead politician described it, this is a government of the people, by the people, and for the people. So our elected officials are "the people" just like the rest of us. This exempting them from security is bovine scatology just like exempting congress from various labor laws. If anything these representatives should be held to a higher standard than the general public.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    +1
    As one long dead politician described it, this is a government of the people, by the people, and for the people. So our elected officials are "the people" just like the rest of us. This exempting them from security is bovine scatology just like exempting congress from various labor laws. If anything these representatives should be held to a higher standard than the general public.
    Look, for obvious reasons certain officials need to travel with security details. This includes The President, Vice President, Speaker of the House, Speaker of the House elect, Secretary of Defense and Secretary of State. It would be beyond absurd for these people to be screened or for their security detail to be screened or for them to even set foot on a commercial plane while in office. Other high officials may not have security details but do you really think they are a danger to us in the form of being potential hijackers or bombers? Of course not. So why do the absurd and search them. It makes no sense. Engaging in such a practice would just be yet another example of TSA run amok and being its absurd self, if such searches were allowed.

Sorry to break it to some of you, but rank and wealth have their privileges. TSA's mistake on this matter is solely that this was the wrong time to make an issue of it. They basically just rubbed salt in a wound. Again, Pistole and Napolitan must go, and this from an O supporter who is rapidly losing patience.

Look, for obvious reasons certain officials need to travel with security details. This includes The President, Vice President, Speaker of the House, Speaker of the House elect, Secretary of Defense and Secretary of State. It would be beyond absurd for these people to be screened or for their security detail to be screened or for them to even set foot on a commercial plane while in office. Other high officials may not have security details but do you really think they are a danger to us in the form of being potential hijackers or bombers? Of course not. So why do the absurd and search them. It makes no sense. Engaging in such a practice would just be yet another example of TSA run amok and being its absurd self, if such searches were allowed.

Sorry to break it to some of you, but rank and wealth have their privileges. TSA's mistake on this matter is solely that this was the wrong time to make an issue of it. They basically just rubbed salt in a wound. Again, Pistole and Napolitan must go, and this from an O supporter who is rapidly losing patience.
    Those government officials that have security details do not fly commercial. When I traveled by government air (many years ago) I was not screened at all (at the field) either. But those that fly commercial are just as much a threat as I am and should be held to the same standard. Just because someone won a popularity contest (election) does not mean they are mentally well balanced and would pass a background check. As we all in theory are equal under the law, I should be protected from them the same as they are protected from me. Or are you saying I am in fact a second class citizen?
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

So why do the absurd and search them.
    So they feel our pain and maybe will be more more understanding and motivated to do something about it.

And if they can know that these people don't pose a threat, why can't they know that about me too?
    We're all in favor of reducing violent crime. It's just that pro-gunners have a method that is proven effective. Anti-gunners don't.
    ---
    John Moses Browning day is January 24th, 2011

Those government officials that have security details do not fly commercial. When I traveled by government air (many years ago) I was not screened at all (at the field) either. But those that fly commercial are just as much a threat as I am and should be held to the same standard. Just because someone won a popularity contest (election) does not mean they are mentally well balanced and would pass a background check. As we all in theory are equal under the law, I should be protected from them the same as they are protected from me. Or are you saying I am in fact a second class citizen?
    Hear hear!
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

TSA Administrator John Pistole has given numerous TV interviews in the last week and I will admit that at first I just thought he was some political hack [aka Eric Holder] but after reading his profile on the TSA website I now believe he is really a well qualified stand-up fellow.

John Pistole bio

He has been assigned an extremely tough task which is utilizing the 'Nude-O-Scope' equipment with questionable effectiveness and probable safety issues. The alternative of a 'pat-down' is certainly not a pleasant experience for the TSA agent or the traveler and neither of these two passenger screening procedures are acceptable in this country.

Do I have an answer? No, that is above my pay grade, but I have flown out of the Tel Aviv Ben Gurion airport and threat-risk assessment [profiling] coupled with metal detectors and luggage x-ray are certainly a better alternative.

Eventually the procedure will change and unfortunately John Pistole will most likely become a 'scape-goat' even though the blame falls upon Napolitano and Obama.

We do not have any immediate air travel plans and while the wife opted for the scanner on her last trip; I intend to go through the 'pat-down' if procedures have not changed. The one thing I would NOT allow would be any of that 'hands-down-the-insides-of-your-pants' crap and I will demand that the agent put on new gloves.
    Last edited by Ksthumper; November 24th, 2010 at 03:57 PM.

VIP Member
    Or are you saying I am in fact a second class citizen?
    No, just that as always, rank and wealth have their privileges. I don't know for example if any 1 star Generals travel by civilian air, or travel with security details, but I'd have no problem exempting a one star General. I'd take my chance that he is unlikely to have been bought out by Al Quida, or suffered a sudden inexplicable bout of depression and is not getting on board with a bomb. I'm not going to worry about Governors and Senators. I have no problem with exempting Constitutional Officers.

OTOH, I have known a few neighbors I wouldn't turn my back on.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Sponsored Links