Sheriffs can assist in school truancy cases without a Court Order

This is a discussion on Sheriffs can assist in school truancy cases without a Court Order within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; For some reason this on bothers me a tad. LEOs serving notice of meetings with parents and guardians before any filing of truancy charges seems ...

Thread: Sheriffs can assist in school truancy cases without a Court Order

VIP Member

Question Sheriffs can assist in school truancy cases without a Court Order

For some reason this on bothers me a tad.

LEOs serving notice of meetings with parents and guardians before any filing of truancy charges seems a bit heave handed. It seems as if that belongs to the school or social workers.

Thoughts???

SNIP
    The duty to enforce the criminal law is not confined to arrests and court process,” Cuccinelli wrote. “Law enforcement in the case of a juvenile suspected of a criminal violation [truancy] may include working with the juvenile's parents to remedy the violation or suspected violation.
    SNIP
    Read more at the Washington Examiner: http://washingtonexaminer.com/blogs/...#ixzz162jmfjO8
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Thoughts---- Yes. Most truancy laws were designed a century or so ago to make sure parents sent their kids to school instead of to work. Somewhere along the way things got twisted to where the laws are interpreted to mean that the parents must make the kids go to school no matter what. Here, that is because the funding is based on daily attendance. The school couldn't care less about the kid, just the funding.

You know, if a kid doesn't want to go to school, dragging them there doesn't accomplish a thing. We all know the old saying--
    "you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink."

With that as a truism, most truancy laws are futile. They criminalize a problem which can be handled in most cases differently.

Like, having effective curriculum and teachers that make that curriculum relevant to the child's life.

Don't get me started on curriculum. But, that is one conversation I'd really like to have with Retsupt99 over cigars and Bourbon. I have a hunch we'd see eye to eye even though we have nearly opposite world views.

Kids should be allowed to drop out at 16.

In our district, I handled our truancy problems which were very few.
    I would say, however, that there may well be SOME homes you'd only want the sheriff to visit.OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Links