Positive things you NEVER hear about in IRAQ - Page 2

Positive things you NEVER hear about in IRAQ

This is a discussion on Positive things you NEVER hear about in IRAQ within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Pickpocket : you can have any democracy you want, as long as it's one that we approve of. I honestly feel like ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Positive things you NEVER hear about in IRAQ

Quote Originally Posted by Pickpocket
    : you can have any democracy you want, as long as it's one that we approve of.

I honestly feel like we set the Palestinians up to fail...and we didn't use any of our influence to keep the transition smooth. If we were worried about giving Palestine free reign and that they would just continue to attack Israel.....well....take a look at where we are today regardless.
    Can I hear a well DUH... we feared a government more violent and agressive than what it replaced, sorry about being Captain Obvious here. We should have and did keep our political noses out of that hay ride. Any way it could have gone were involved in any way would have been bad. Besides that if they mess with the Isralies they will Get Er done, N don't put it past them boys to blow another reactor in Iran.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Pickpocket
    No, I'm with you on that one. I think we over-reacted to Hamas winning the Palestinian free election. I think you're incorrect about the mixed-messages, though. I feel we're sending an unfortunately very clear message: you can have any democracy you want, as long as it's one that we approve of.
    I guess it's semantics. I always figured the Hamas thing was a mixed message........ You'd better have a democracy, Oh, wait.... Not that one! I guess we can agree to agree.

I honestly feel like we set the Palestinians up to fail...and we didn't use any of our influence to keep the transition smooth. If we were worried about giving Palestine free reign and that they would just continue to attack Israel.....well....take a look at where we are today regardless.
    It constantly amazes me at the things out government does. When I was working protection I had the privilege of protecting Israeli PM Began (sp?) This was our "friend" who at one time led the Irgun NS had a big price on his head as a terrorist. I learned a long time ago that one persons terrorist is another persons patriot.

You have a very valid point (and I agree with it) - but I also don't think that Palestine and Iraq are similar enough to compare in this particular instance. We didn't force a regime change in Palestine, and we weren't necessarily committed to making sure they succeeded after an invasion.
    Granted they are not the same. We haven't invaded Palestine, but we have provided massive amounts of support to their enemy. That is the thing that I think a lot of Americans tend to forget when they wonder why the Palestinians hate us.

Minor differences, I suppose - but differences all the same.
    Close enough for government work!?
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links