Positive things you NEVER hear about in IRAQ

This is a discussion on Positive things you NEVER hear about in IRAQ within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Did you know that 25 Iraq students departed for the United States in January 2005 for the reestablished Fulbright program? Did you know that the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Positive things you NEVER hear about in IRAQ

Lightbulb Positive things you NEVER hear about in IRAQ

Did you know that 25 Iraq students departed for the United States in January 2005 for the reestablished Fulbright program?

Did you know that the Iraqi Navy is operational?! They have five 100-foot patrol craft, 34 smaller vessels and a naval infantry regiment.

Did you know that Iraq's Air Force consists of three operational squadrons, which includes 9 reconnaissance and 3 US C-130 transport aircraft (under Iraqi operational control) which operate day and night, and will soon add 16 UH-1 helicopters and 4 Bell Jet Rangers?

Did you know that Iraq has a counter-terrorist unit and a Commando Battalion?

Did you know that the Iraqi Police Service has over 55,000 fully trained and equipped police officers?

Did you know that there are 5 Police Academies in Iraq that produce over 3500 new officers each 8 weeks?

Did you know there are more than 1100 building projects going on in Iraq? They include 364 schools, 67 public clinics, 15 hospitals, 83 railroad stations, 22 oil facilities, 93 water facilities and 69 electrical facilities.

Did you know that 96% of Iraqi children under the age of 5 have received the first 2 series of polio vaccinations?

Did you know that 4.3 million Iraqi children were enrolled in primary school by mid October?

Did you know that there are 1,192,000 cell phone subscribers in Iraq and phone use has gone up 158%?

Did you know that Iraq has an independent media that consists of 75 radio stations, 180 newspapers and 10 television stations?

Did you know that 47 countries have reestablished their embassies in Iraq?

Did you know that the Iraqi government currently employs 1.2 million Iraqi people?

Did you know that 3100 schools have been renovated, 364 schools are under rehabilitation, 263 schools are now und er construction and 38 new schools have been built in Iraq?

Did you know that Iraq's higher educational structure consists of 20 Universities, 46 Institutes or colleges and 4 research centers, all currently operating?

Did you know that the Baghdad Stock Exchange opened in June of 2004?

Did you know that 2 candidates in the Iraqi presidential election had a televised debate recently?

OF COURSE YOU DIDN'T KNOW . .
    AND I DIDN'T KNOW!

WHY DIDN'T WE KNOW?
    OUR MEDIA WOULDN'T TELL US!

Instead of reflecting our love for our country, we get photos of flag burning incidents at Abu Ghraib and people throwing snowballs at the presidential motorcades.

The lack of accentuating the positive in Iraq serves two purposes. It is intended to undermine the world's perception of the United States, thus minimizing consequential support, and it is intended to discourage American citizens.

*** Above facts are verifiable on the Department of Defense web site.

PASS IT ON

OUR MEDIA SHOULD BE HEAPED WITH SHAME!!!!!!
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

2. Remove Ads

That is awsome, n same on them for hiding it.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Assistant Administrator
    Seen this not long ago - reads well and hope it is factual but need to check with Snopes maybe.

I am pretty sure tho whatever - there is way more bad comes out than good - bad sells copy and airtime!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    You don't hear about those things, and it's good that someone will try to let the world know.

It would probably also be a great help to our national interest for a stable, western-style democracy, that is friendly to us to take hold in Iraq.

But neither the establishment of such a regime nor anything in that post outweighs the loss of American life we've suffered over there.

Nothing that country has to offer us, even gasoline for a penny a gallon, is worth the blood or life of one fine, young, patriotic American serving his country. Nothing.

Period.

+1 for randytulsa2.

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    But were is the Quagmire??

Thats stuff is great and all but the money that our govt. is sending over to do all that great stuff could be better spent over here. I think we need to take care of our people first and not a country that doesnt like us anyways.

I agree with Freedz !! It's thier country, let them fix it !!
    One shot. One kill.

Primary Carry - Taurus PT-111 Mil Pro 9mm DAO with 12 + 1 in the pipe. Holstered in a Brigade OWB M2.

Secondary Weapon - Taurus PT1911 5" 45acp SA with 8+1. Holstered in a Kydex paddle.

VIP Member
    The quagmire is ultimately this thread as demonstrated by the last couple posts. Debating the actions of the U.S. government when it comes to Iraq/Afghanistan et. al. is a quagmire.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kansas_shooter
    I agree with Freedz !! It's thier country, let them fix it !!
    Yes, but we invaded and if we don't fix it they will really hate us. Look at what rebuilding did for post-war Japan and Germany. If we stay the course, I think that this is going to have a postive effect on the rest of the middle east. Of course it isn't going to happen overnight and the affects may not be seen for 5-10 years but in the end it is going to work out. When it does, I hope every armchair liberal has to eat crow.

BTW-Great post EX!
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

VIP Member
    As a general warning....please tread lightly here....we don't want to see any flare-ups between members who may have differing thoughts about the war.

During my OIF deployment I saw many positive things....mostly in the area of medicine as where I was at had a large field hospital with a dedicated medical staff. Those folks (God bless them) suffered in no small ways whenever they lost Iraqi patients lost to injuries due to indiscriminate bombings by the insurgents.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Quote Originally Posted by srfl
    During my OIF deployment I saw many positive things....mostly in the area of medicine as where I was at had a large field hospital with a dedicated medical staff. Those folks (God bless them) suffered in no small ways whenever they lost Iraqi patients lost to injuries due to indiscriminate bombings by the insurgents.
    But good news and reports do not sell paper's or get people to watch the evening news We have done and continue to do a great many good deeds there. Thousands of US troups there working very hard to improve things but the news agencys only tell you of the 4 or 5 that are the screw up's.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

One thing everyone would do well to remember, no matter what side of the fence you're on, is what would happen to the rest of the muslim theocratic dictatorships in that part of the world if ONE country could prove that they could successfully thrive as a truly democratic State.

That's one of the reasons that the U.S. is holding on so tightly to ensuring Iraq can stand on its own two feet before we leave. Right, wrong, or indifferent - many people do not understand this.

This 'war' is about a lot of things - but some people (i.e. media) keep trying to make it about one or two things.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Pickpocket
    One thing everyone would do well to remember, no matter what side of the fence you're on, is what would happen to the rest of the muslim theocratic dictatorships in that part of the world if ONE country could prove that they could successfully thrive as a truly democratic State.

That's one of the reasons that the U.S. is holding on so tightly to ensuring Iraq can stand on its own two feet before we leave. Right, wrong, or indifferent - many people do not understand this.
    Let me sort of play devils advocate for a minute, and this is sort of one of OUR problems (as a country) as I see it.

We "told" the Palestinians that they should democratically elect their government, so they did! They also had a larger (by percentage) voter turn out than our Country has in decades.

Now, how did our government greet theirs? They blasted them in the press and cut off all funding to Palestine.

This (at least to me) sends a very mixed message. I'm not sure we can really win anything if we keep telling everyone that it has to be our way or no way.

I think I could take this further, but lets just start here.

(Insert Mod's disclaimer about attacks and stuff here. )
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

No, I'm with you on that one. I think we over-reacted to Hamas winning the Palestinian free election. I think you're incorrect about the mixed-messages, though. I feel we're sending an unfortunately very clear message: you can have any democracy you want, as long as it's one that we approve of.

I honestly feel like we set the Palestinians up to fail...and we didn't use any of our influence to keep the transition smooth. If we were worried about giving Palestine free reign and that they would just continue to attack Israel.....well....take a look at where we are today regardless.

You have a very valid point (and I agree with it) - but I also don't think that Palestine and Iraq are similar enough to compare in this particular instance. We didn't force a regime change in Palestine, and we weren't necessarily committed to making sure they succeeded after an invasion.

Minor differences, I suppose - but differences all the same.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links