Servicemen and women, have a happy Thanksgiving!

This is a discussion on Servicemen and women, have a happy Thanksgiving! within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I find myself fortunate that in my 20-year career I never missed being home for Christmas and missed only one Thanksgiving. Most of my fellow ...

Thread: Servicemen and women, have a happy Thanksgiving!

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap

Talking Servicemen and women, have a happy Thanksgiving!

I find myself fortunate that in my 20-year career I never missed being home for Christmas and missed only one Thanksgiving. Most of my fellow blue suiters were not nearly as fortunate.

For those men and women who've recently returned from the warfront, I hope you've managed to hook up with family and friends to make this a memoriable day. To those who are still deployed, I only wish I could trade places for the day. It's the least I could do. I hope the units have managed to make the day something special, but being away will only make future Thanksgivings all the more valuable.

Thanks for your commitment,
    OldVet
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

2. Remove Ads

Thanks for your service! I have two good friends who get back today (Thanksgiving) from Afgan! We have something extra to be thankful for. I pray that all can make it home safely!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Thumbs up

May God grant you peace and safety and may you return home soon. Happy Thanksgiving.

"Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

VIP Member
    Things have come a long way. Even at our little patrol base in the middle of nowhere chow was great. They did a fantastic job. Started the day off with a field meet and visits by the brass.

Thankfully they left quickly and we had a well needed lazy afternoon off. This is my fifth year of missing Thanksgiving and Christmas at home, I am here by choice as a contractor but miss it all the same.

Thanks for thinking of those that are over here.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    To all military personnel away from their families, Thank you for your service. I would also like to extend this to hospital and nursing home personnel, firefighters, rescue squad workers, security officers, and law enforcement officers. All of you are charged with protecting, defending, and taking care of society as we know it. Thank you all for all you do for us.

To all those who now serve, have served, and those who have given the most...we all thank you.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    Things have come a long way. Even at our little patrol base in the middle of nowhere chow was great. They did a fantastic job. Started the day off with a field meet and visits by the brass.

Thankfully they left quickly and we had a well needed lazy afternoon off.
    This is my fifth year of missing Thanksgiving and Christmas at home, I am here by choice as a contractor but miss it all the same.

Thanks for thinking of those that are over here.
    Had to laugh at this one. I guess things never change!
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Administrator
    Happy Thanksgiving to all of our fantastic military folks and their families.

In my 3 1/2 years in the service, I have missed two Thanksgivings, and Christmas two times, both being overseas. This year I am away from my family for Thanksgiving, but at least am in the States, and can call them at leisure. And they know I am out of harms way.

My little brother had his post-Afghan leave end today at noon, California time, I didn't think that made much sense, but at least he is out of Afghanistan. And to everyone still downrange, thank you.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Thanks OldVet....this was the first Thanksgiving in 2 years when I've been home....Thanksgiving 2008 I was at Ft Riley,KS and Thanksgiving 2009 I was in Kabul, Afghanistan (438th Air Expeditionary Advisory Group).....very happy to be home this year.

v/r
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I find myself fortunate that in my 20-year career I never missed being home for Christmas and missed only one Thanksgiving. Most of my fellow blue suiters were not nearly as fortunate.
    Got to say that's amazing! Wish I could say that.

Happy Thanksgiving troops!!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

I missed a number of holidays...but I was single then, so it was not that much of an issue...

Later in my career, I was always able to be home...

My son is in his 7th year...and today was only the second Thanksgiving we've had with him since he was commissioned...and he's preparing for his third combat tour...

To all those serving...and those who have served...THANK YOU!!!
    VCDL Member
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Theodore Roosevelt

Went on patrol in a remote village in Afghanistan, and had to laugh, when a bunch of turkeys decided to walk along with us a ways.

We were pretty sure ROE prohibited shooting Turkeys on Thanksgiving in the middle of an Afghan village...

The irony of this wasn't lost on any of us, but we enjoyed a delicious Thanksgiving meal consisting of onion chowpatty, na'an and cookies purchased from streetside vendors, instead of turkey.

120mm, some of those Afghan turkeys get pretty big. I know that a few times we would buy a couple from the local farmers, and then cook them up (we made sure we boiled them till they were completely cooked), two of them plus rice and potatoes could feed my whole platoon.

Plus you got the fun of all the guys that had never killed and cleaned anything watching that occur.

Watch your six over there, the Taliban is tricky.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Links