Colorado deputy killed in gunbattle..... - Page 2

Colorado deputy killed in gunbattle.....

This is a discussion on Colorado deputy killed in gunbattle..... within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; “People don’t now him,” said his mother. “He was not a bad person, and they shouldn’t judge him by his mistakes.” Sorry, Mrs. Reyes: Your ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Colorado deputy killed in gunbattle.....

“People don’t now him,” said his mother. “He was not a bad person, and they shouldn’t judge him by his mistakes.”
    Sorry, Mrs. Reyes: Your son murdered a LEO. That makes him a total scumbag.

Evans Police Chief Rick Brandt said he has two officers on leave after the incident. The officer who shot Reyes is now under investigation by the Weld District Attorney’s office. He will remain on leave pending the results of that investigation, Brandt said. Another officer who was on scene requested a couple of days off to deal with the trauma, Brandt said.

“They’ll make the decision whether to file criminal charges,” Brandt said, adding that his officer was the only one who fired shots at Reyes.
    WTH??
    "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
    You are not paranoid if They are actually out to get you, however, They probably are not and you probably are.

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Retention holsters, it will literally save your life.
    These should be mandatory as an equipment specification (level 3 type suggested, Level 2 as minimum) for all police everywhere who are not on plain clothes detail (sidearm exposed).

Very sad.

- Janq
    I was in a shop that sells law enforcement supplies a couple of weeks ago and had an opportunity to work with some of the various types of retention holsters. For open carry I don't know why you would not go that route since some of the designs make it difficult for anyone other then the person wearing the holster and familiar with its operation to remove the firearm, and yet with minimal practice I think you could learn to work the mechanism efficiently under stress.

Tragic and very sad.
    Martial Blade Concepts, Jiu-Jitsu & Eskrima NRA, GOA, NYSRPA, LIF, Old Bethpage Rifle & Pistol Club

Agreed very much 2e.

Several of my clients market same to LEOs and .GOV/.MIL end users.
    IMHO there is no way I would roll with a gun open carry either as a paid gun carrier or as a civilian without having a _quality_ retention holster that is at least Level 2.

Further...And this will be controversial...I also would not choose if I had a choice to open carry with an autoloader that did not offer a 'magazine disconnect' feature.
    For me that would be mandatory.
    Why? For an instance just like this that is not at all rare. Get in a fight for control of your weapon; Okay mofo...You can have it after I hit the mag release and gravity unseat/drop it from the gun. While he's now holding a hunk of neutered metal that won't fire I then dump on him with everything I've got and the kitchen sink too, no longer having to concentrate my efforts on fighting to retain a live gun.

Many people think that mag disconnects are no good because if you get caught in a firefight and need to swap mags the gun is for a moment a dead stick as you reload.

Bollocks!
    That is a training issue as a magazine swap shouldn't take more than a half second max.

With specific training it can be done by Joe Blow types in as little as an eight second on the clock. That problem in theory is nullified by end user training. Never mind that not that many cops have _ever_ died from being shot while in the midst of a reload.
    While very many including multiple per year get attacked and shot with their own gun or find themself surviving by luck a death struggle for control of their gun.

L2 minimum retention holster + Magazine disconnect = OC street survival methods to support ones going home with both eyes open

- Janq

P.S.
    Arguments against Magazine Disconnects are largely weak and based in gun game/competition use against targets that don't bite/shoot back, which is not akin to real world combat _SURVIVAL_ tool functional use.
    This applies as well toward HD use type autoloaders as well considering hat annually a number of civilians get done with their own gun as well uoon making contact with BGs, typically those that go looking for danger (!) rather than staying pat.

http://gunnuts.net/2009/03/16/why-i-...zine-safeties/
    http://nugun.wordpress.com/2010/02/2...onnect-safety/

M&P Magazine Disconnect Removal M&P45 Mag
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzTz5v4VsQU
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

I am in complete agreement with retention holsters and the vast majority of departments either issue or require you to purchase your own. I carry my G-21 in a Safariland SS-III. That said we do not know if the deputy had his weapon out when approching the suspect and during the attempt to arrest and restrain the suspect, had the gun taken from him then or he reholstered and did not put all of the retention mechanism's in place and during the struggle with the suspect lost his weapon. Some holsters like the Blackhawk Serpa automatically go into partial retention mode when the weapon is inserted into the holster as does the SS-III but need moves on the part of the wearer to put them in complete Level III. Anyway it happened it is a tragic event.
    Last edited by Old School; November 27th, 2010 at 05:04 PM.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KimBobTex View Post
    Current local paper article with much more info, Deputy shot with own gun ....

http://www.greeleytribune.com/article/20101123/NEWS/101129991/1051&ParentProfile=1001

Reyes mother wants us to understand that her gangbanger ex-con son was not a bad person ... RIGHT!
    Same thing is currently going on where I live. A 28 yr old loser with a long criminal history tried to rob a popular local drive-up coffee stand at gunpoint Wednesday night. He forced his way into the shack, only to discover to his horror that an employee inside was also armed. He came out on the losing end of an exchange of gunfire, and was killed immediately. Fortunately, no one else was injured by the gunfire.

But friends and family of the dude are now bemoaning his loss, saying what a good and decent man he really was, and how much he loved his family and friends.

He was unemployed, and also had a history of illegal drug use.

Sadly, the store chain has a strict rule against employees bringing guns to work. So it is feared that the employee may lose his job.

The same coffee stand was robbed at gunpoint in 2007. And another local franchise of the chain was robbed at knifepoint earlier this year. And just two months ago, at this same coffee stand, a mother with two young daughters in her car with her was assaulted by a naked man who attempted to hijack her car, as she waited in line for coffee.

Police fortunately arrived in time in that last incident, and tasered the naked man and took him into custody.

His family is concerned about negative comments they are hearing about Rueben.

“People don’t now him,” said his mother. “He was not a bad person, and they shouldn’t judge him by his mistakes.”
    Where have we heard that before? It's becoming like a mantra to be repeated by families of poor misunderstood gangbangers.

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Actually, in the case of our local shooting death of an armed robber, one friend of the dead robber even referred to his friend as being a "Great" man.

What has happened to morality in our nation??

"Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

Agreed, very sad.
    Taser failure, Bring back saps.
    Personally, I think that the mid forties is pushing it working the field, other than as a supervisor.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    Agreed, very sad.
    Taser failure, Bring back saps.
    Personally, I think that the mid forties is pushing it working the field, other than as a supervisor.
    I use to carry a "Texan" in the sap pocket of my uniform pants behind the right thigh.I agree on the age issue brother.I was talking about that at lunch today with a younger officer (he was 55).

It is always a huge loss for a community at the loss of any peace officer, but nothing like the loss felt by the family of the slain officer. My prayers for his family.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Thoughts and Prayers for family & friends of this falling officer, RIP Deputy

What POS, BG looks like a punk, But he never did anything wrong enjoy your D-Nap
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. -- Thomas Jefferson

From the reports that I heard, Brownlee was going from holding the weapon to holstering it. They were going hands on after the Taser failed. I will probably get more info later.
    Semper Fi

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links