Plot to Slaughter Hundreds of Families w/ Children at Portland Christmas Event Friday

This is a discussion on Plot to Slaughter Hundreds of Families w/ Children at Portland Christmas Event Friday within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by LanceORYGUN He told the FBI agents that he had been dreaming of making such an attack since he was 15. That is ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Plot to Slaughter Hundreds of Families w/ Children at Portland Christmas Event Friday

Quote Originally Posted by LanceORYGUN View Post
    He told the FBI agents that he had been dreaming of making such an attack since he was 15. That is 4 years ago.

The undercover agents even warned him that a high percentage of the crowd would be women and children. But that did not deter him in any way at all.

Apparently all of these conversations were recorded. It may be difficult for a jury to be convinced that he is innocent, once they hear these tapes.
    Exactly. He had no remorse for what he was trying to do. He made his bed, let him sleep in it. I'd prefer he sleep permanently in the dirt.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by LanceORYGUN View Post
    This handler that was encouraging him in Pakistan may have promised him 72 virgins in Paradise. That is what the Pakistani handlers promised all the men that they sent to attack the city of Mumbai in 2008.

But where is he going to find 72 virgins in a Federal Prison????????
    Paradise = Federal Prison, 72 Virgins all named Bubba just waiting to take care of his A$$ and that is not an intended pun.
    Member:USCCA, NRA, GOA, WVCDL
    U.S. Navy vet 1955-1959, USS Dashiell DD 659. Glock 19, Ruger LCP, Ruger .357 Mag.
    When you are at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on.

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shockwave View Post
    As with many recent examples, this was a manufactured crime built by the FBI to entrap a befuddled fool who couldn't and wouldn't have done anything without extensive encouragement and support.
    In criminal law, entrapment is constituted by a law enforcement agent inducing a person to commit an offense that the person would otherwise have been unlikely to commit.
    I don't think entrapment comes into play here. Sounds like he was very willing to see it through.

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    As with many recent examples, this was a manufactured crime built by the FBI to entrap a befuddled fool who couldn't and wouldn't have done anything without extensive encouragement and support.
    This may be true--but then the real enemies of our country would also been more than willing to supply him with "extensive encouragement and support", only they would have supplied real materials--which would have left many Americans just red smears on the pavement. Personally, I would prefer that guys like this get duped by the FBI rather than duped by real terrorists.......
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaplain Scott View Post
    This may be true--but then the real enemies of our country would also been more than willing to supply him with "extensive encouragement and support", only they would have supplied real materials--which would have left many Americans just red smears on the pavement. Personally, I would prefer that guys like this get duped by the FBI rather than duped by real terrorists.......
    Just to play devil's advocate here, could someone really acquire that amount of explosives here in the US? We read about arrests for possession of bomb making materials from time to time. It seems like LE has a pretty good track record for keeping bomb making materials and real bombs out of the hands of those who shouldn't have them.

This guy never had any---except, whatever he was provided by the FBI. His words could be nothing but immature ramblings. Hard to know without seeing what the e-mails to and from Pakistan actually were about.

Sometimes there is a very very fine line between investigating something and participating in it. A jury will have to decide if that line was crossed or not. Meanwhile, Shockwave's point that so far the folks caught seem to mostly be 'befuddled' (I'd say young fools with no brains) is important. The successful terrorists, so far only the 9/11 crowd and first attack on World Trade Center, were led by a couple of sharp people with graduate degrees. Befuddled teens weren't part of the game. Befuddled fools bragging in a Miami basement aren't part of the game, their convictions notwithstanding.

Just like airport screening needs to change to be more focused, some of these criminal investigation seem to need to be focused on where real threats come from; and that is people who can get it together, not befuddled foolish people.

Distinguished Member
    To the FBI:

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Just to play devil's advocate here, could someone really acquire that amount of explosives here in the US?
    In a word, yes.

In spite of the OK City bombing and its aftermath, the hardest part of making an ANFO bomb is getting the blasting caps to set it off. Then there's the little scientist in Escondido with some PETN and HMTD (for hobby uses, no doubt) http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...,1741766.story. And I shouldn't leave out a friend back east who kept (past tense) a 55-gallon drum of red fuming nitric acid in his backyard shed... good for making "personal" amounts of C-4. Prefer more traditional explosives? I made a couple of pounds of crude black powder at home before I reached high school. Making nitroglycerin and its more "user-friendly" cousin nitrocellulose is not difficult for amateur chemists.

Gathering sufficient quantities of the respective ingredients has varying degrees of difficulty, but those who are dedicated to mayhem will always be motivated.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I saw this on another board and my response was: I suggest we give him a ride to the NW province of Pakistan...and drop him off....at 10K feet.

The guy (BTW--he's an adult according to the law, not a dumb gang-banger), needs a dirt nap. These guys don't care about spending time in prison...fighting "jihad" is a way of life for them, whether it's in a prison or out on the streets. The only way of stopping/preventing these guys from taking their lessons learned from their mistakes and applying them is to put them down--permanently.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Gee, I hope they didn't do anything that might have violated his fourth amendment rights. Would be a shame to have to kick him loose if somebody did something without a warrant.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    In a word, yes.

In spite of the OK City bombing and its aftermath, the hardest part of making an ANFO bomb is getting the blasting caps to set it off. Then there's the little scientist in Escondido with some PETN and HMTD (for hobby uses, no doubt) http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...,1741766.story. And I shouldn't leave out a friend back east who kept (past tense) a 55-gallon drum of red fuming nitric acid in his backyard shed... good for making "personal" amounts of C-4. Prefer more traditional explosives? I made a couple of pounds of crude black powder at home before I reached high school. Making nitroglycerin and its more "user-friendly" cousin nitrocellulose is not difficult for amateur chemists.

Gathering sufficient quantities of the respective ingredients has varying degrees of difficulty, but those who are dedicated to mayhem will always be motivated.
    For Gasmitty, do you think really determined terrorists here in the US would be making their own? Or, would they try to get it off the black market and by stealing or otherwise diverting legitimate supplies? There seem to be plenty of cases brought against folks for possession of bomb making supplies.

It just seems to me that buying chemicals these days is both a big bother and a big risk. Even when buying small quantities of certain common laboratory chemicals, for use in Uncle's own labs, with Uncle's purchase orders, there were sometimes difficulties. I think it was ammonium sulfate which has common uses in biochemical laboratories that I had some difficulty purchasing (in 1 lb quantities) post 9/11. I could create a list of all manner of things that won't ship even to Uncle without some paperwork.

I don't know that nowadays you could buy a 55 gallon drum of nitric acid legitimately without going through a bunch of paper work. Not something a clandestine bomb maker would want to do; which is the whole point of the paper trail.

As for making crude black powder at home when you were young, lots of folks my age (I don't know your age but assume you are not a youngster) played chemist in the past. I think those days are over.
    I'm not saying getting it together is impossible, but I think it is pretty tough nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by sigs View Post
    I am detecting a trend here. Again, the plotter was not a Baptist or Presbyterian. Wonder when the Feds will own up to that.
    Maybe not Baptist or Presbyterian but both articles I read had comments blaming Catholics. One theme blamed the Crusades which were mounted to take back territory lost to Muslims waging jihad and the other theme blamed Catholic Charities for helping Somalis flee their war ravaged country. By the way, I think both arguments stink.
    My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.
    - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by shockwave View Post
    Yeah, I agree. I certainly don't condone terrorism in any way, shape or manner, but there's a lot more to this story than meets the eye. No doubt, the BG wished us harm. But what would he actually have done without the prodding of the FBI?
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    could someone really acquire that amount of explosives here in the US?
    Yes,if you know the right people you can.Its hard,its expensive,but you can.Always high risk of getting caught,but getting explosives is doable if you know who to get them from.

Thousands upon thousands of pounds of dope get into the country every year. A few hundred/thousand pounds of explosives wouldn't seem that difficult.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    the recent Times Sq attempted bomber had assembled enough "explosive materials" to have made a pretty big BOOM if he had put it together properly!
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links