Plot to Slaughter Hundreds of Families w/ Children at Portland Christmas Event Friday - Page 5

Plot to Slaughter Hundreds of Families w/ Children at Portland Christmas Event Friday

This is a discussion on Plot to Slaughter Hundreds of Families w/ Children at Portland Christmas Event Friday within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Wait till after Christmas then hang him from the tree....

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Wait till after Christmas then hang him from the tree.

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post

This planned attack was spectacular only because of the amount of "explosives" he received from his FBI handlers.
    Actually, that statement is not at all true. Mohamed Osman Mohamud hand picked this specific event to attack. It was 100% his idea. He stated that his goal was specifically to kill lots of families and children.

The FBI just provided the necessary "explosives" to do that job that Mohamud had himself selected.

The only reason why Mohamud was discovered was due to his emails to known terrorists in northwest Pakistan. If left on his own, Mohamud could have eventually got in touch with people who could have supplied support.

He was also enrolled in Engineering courses at Oregon State University. He is not at all as dumb as people in this discussion are making him out to be.

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    There was an inept effort Saturday night to burn down the Mosque in Corvallis, OR where Mohamed Osman Mohamud worshiped while attending college.

The FBI has taken over the investigation into this arson, on the assumption that the person starting the fire was violating the civil rights of the Muslims that worship there.

Even the investigating FBI officials, though, admitted today that they have no real evidence that the fire was indeed revenge for the Portland plot.

The Imam for the Mosque has been openly critical of Mohamed Osman Mohamud, saying that he was not a good Muslim. Among other things, Mohamud drank beer, and also listened to a lot of music.

[QUOTE=Hopyard;1815912]The plot would have gone nowhere as the dude had no ability to pull it off ---he had intent, but no ability, hence no jeopardy to you or yours if you want to keep it in terms we are used to using here for SD discussions.
    [/QUOT]

Yada yada left wing yada yada yad yawn

But for the FBI operation he MIGHT have contacted those who WOULD have happily supplied him with the real stuff. Low fruit maybe but fruit all the same and you are ASSUMING there are no operations underway on up the tree just because there are no daily LSM updates.

"bomb factory" discovered Nov. 18 at a home on Via Scott, which is in an unincorporated area of Escondido. An explosion at the Via Scott home seriously injured a gardener and led to the discovery of what a Deputy District Attorney says is the largest amount of explosives in U.S. history. The home's renter, 54-year-old George Jakubec, is being held on charges including making and possessing explosives.
    What if these 2 had gotten together?? But for the operation of the FBI!

Quote Originally Posted by F350 View Post
    But for the FBI operation he MIGHT have contacted those who WOULD have happily supplied him with the real stuff.
    That...or Mohamud eventually would have gotten frustrated, acquired a Hi-Point 9mm and a .38 Special revolver and gone to a laundromat or shopping strip mall (like a Somali cab driver in Columbus, Ohio was arrested for plotting to do several years ago) and starting slaughtering innocents in the name of Allah. True...he'd only gotten a comparatively small number at best, something like the idiot Korean guy did at Virginia Tech. So it wouldn't have been a "significant" attack in the eyes of some. But I think it's obvious that he has crosssed that bridge in his mind now, and clearly appears committed to killing innocents.

I'm with you. Good on the feds for bagging the guy.
    I count myself nowise weaker in war, or grapple of battle, than Grendel himself. --- The Beowulf Epic

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    To Hopyard, yes it is difficult to acquire certain monitored chemicals in clinical doses, then again, it is also difficult to acquire large amounts of cough syrup to make meth, yet there are meth labs everywhere. One example, you can make plastique out of vasoline and solidex, (solidex is used for welding.) (learned this stuff from work, don't worry, im not a psycho kid in his basement planning something) Its very easy to acquire both, solidex is found in hardware stores and vasoline is pretty much everywhere. So while it may be more difficult to acquire the materials to make something like C4, something like this is easy to get materials for and build into a bomb. Anyone with a little EOD training, or even someone who is remotely familiar with explosives would be able to make a bomb out of pretty much anything in your kitchen, bathroom, garage, and car.
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

I'm a long time EOD/UXO guy. There are over 1,500 formerly used defense sites (FUDS) in the USA. Many of those sites are littered with high explosive bombs and artillery shells. All a very savvy terrorist has to do is drive onto one of those places and load his truck with bombs and shells. There is nothing better than military explosive ordnance for use in a terrorist act.

The government is doing very little to clean those FUDS sites up.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LanceORYGUN View Post
    He was also enrolled in Engineering courses at Oregon State University. He is not at all as dumb as people in this discussion are making him out to be.
    Well, if true, I know where I'd be looking next. Nowadays you can hardly find a native born US citizen on either the faculty or among the graduate students at many engineering departments. Surely someone heard him brag about his intentions and stayed silent? I'd be interested to know who and why, and who he associated with there.

Still think this guy was the lowest of the low hanging fruit on the tree.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by INccwchris View Post
    One example, you can make plastique out of vasoline and solidex, (solidex is used for welding.) (learned this stuff from work, don't worry, im not a psycho kid in his basement planning something) .
    I'll take your word for it, and "thanks" for giving many who don't need to hear about it this nice little tip.
    So now the FBI needs to collect the names of everyone buying vasoline? Or maybe we are all keeping "bomb making materials" in our bathrooms :-

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sig 210 View Post
    I'm a long time EOD/UXO guy. There are over 1,500 formerly used defense sites (FUDS) in the USA. Many of those sites are littered with high explosive bombs and artillery shells. All a very savvy terrorist has to do is drive onto one of those places and load his truck with bombs and shells. There is nothing better than military explosive ordnance for use in a terrorist act.

If this were easy, it would have happened by now, don't you think?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexHassin View Post
    However ceasing to bring in international students to our universities is probably not a good move in the long run.
    Alex, this is a subject we could discuss for a long time elsewhere, but I just want to give you an idea of where I'm coming from on it.
    In the late 1960s I shared a dorm suite with a Russian who was studying nuclear physics. Can you imagine? Near the highest point of the cold war we were teaching Russians nuclear physics. Did that make any sense? He was a good enough guy. But what about undercutting our own security in the process.

There were also Iranian students in the same dorm some of whom studied related nuclear physics topics. Many years later when working for Uncle we would host Iraqi scientists with interests in various toxins. It was all innocent and in the spirit of genuine transnational assistance, until the whole WMD bio-warfare issue popped up later (never mind that it was bogus, I'm just giving an example of why we need more caution with our foreign students and visitors) and then you had to wonder what "Mustaffa" really was up to.

There are simply too many technical fields with national security and national competitiveness implications in which we have enrolled
    a bazillion Chinese students, middle eastern students, and folks of many other nationalities. Today, in many places the science and engineering faculty has few American born professors and the graduate student body is largely if not exclusively foreign born. We have gone overboard on something that should be a good thing if done in moderation, and with caution about who the students are, where they come from, and what they will be doing when they are done.

I'm sympathetic to people just wanting to get an education, but there are often additional motivations such as simply trying to overstay a visa; and the rare motivation of doing us harm.

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    I have a former boss/friend whose spouse works in DOJ anti-terrorism section and my (now deceased) big-brother who worked for one of those gov't organizations with 3 letter names: From "hints" from those sources, I think that we are getting some of the "fruit" higher up on the tree--but thanks to good OPSEC, we don't hear a lot about that.......

I, for one, am glad that we seem to be getting some of both the low-hanging AND higher "fruit".

Does our government need to be doing a better job all the way around--yep-you betcha'. Do WE (meaning myself and all us DC members) need to be observant and keep our SA up and running? Yep-you betcha' The threat from a whole variety of low-hanging fruit and also skilled plotters is very real. Stay aware, check your six and stay ready to report or respond as the need is.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

If this were easy, it would have happened by now, don't you think?
    It really is that easy. For many years i've worked at some of these sites clearing them of explosive ordnance. Some National Forests are littered with bombs, mortar rounds and artillery rounds left there from training during WWII. The firing and bombing ranges at most active US military installations are easily accessible.

Worked as the senior firing range advisor to the Saudi National Guard for years. Duds we had marked for destruction started disappearing from our ranges. No one at the office of the US Army Project Manager, SANG cared until al Queda blew up OPM SANG in 1995 and killed several Americans. The bomb that blew up at OPM SANG consisted of mortar and artillery duds.

Quote Originally Posted by Sig 210 View Post

Oh yeah, and uncle hasn't exactly been very diligent in keeping track of what was where. I remember not too long ago some contractor in North West Washington D.C. (near Sibley Hospital I think) stumbled across something like 1500 live artillery shells dating back to WW I.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Yes, the FBI should be able to do what ever it takes to stop any violence, real or perceived. I know I'm going to catch hell for this post, but when will enough be enough?
    I was with you up until this part.
    I am thinking random searches of travelers.
    Gun confiscation.
    Wide spread phone taps.
    Scary.

Michael

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links