New military rifle: XM25

This is a discussion on New military rifle: XM25 within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; U.S. Army Unveils 'Revolutionary' XM25 Rifle in Afghanistan I gotta have one. Never know when it might come in handy in urban warefare....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New military rifle: XM25

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

U.S. Army Unveils 'Revolutionary' XM25 Rifle in Afghanistan

I gotta have one. Never know when it might come in handy in urban warefare.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Rabbit hunting will never be the same
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Saw this on Discovery or History Channel. Pretty impressive round. I'd hate to be the one luging the 12 lb weapon along with the 80-100 lbs of other stuff they can't seem to get along without. Always wondered what was in those packs anyhow.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    WOW!
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

VIP Member
    This has, indeed, been in development for a long time. Originally, it was going to be part of the OICW (Objective Individual Combat Weapon) - which was basically this on top of a 5.56mm carbine. Due to weight (and other) issues, it was decided to develop the two weapons separately. The "air burst" feature is certainly a big step forward; I hope it is as "revolutionary" as the producers are saying.

At 12lbs, it's fairly heavy, but it's still half the weight of an M240B (or the M60 I humped for 2+ years), and five pounds lighter than the M249 SAW.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    This has, indeed, been in development for a long time. Originally, it was going to be part of the OICW (Objective Individual Combat Weapon)
    My first thought was that it looked like a derivative of the OICW. Glad my faculties have not totally abandoned me...

Ugly as sin, though...

The military isn't overly concerned that the weapon might be captured by the enemy, because they would be unable to obtain its highly specialized ammunition, batteries and other components. Lehner said he expects other nations will try to copy its technology, but it will be very cost-prohibitive.
    $35k per? Wonder what the rounds cost. Yeouch! Hope it's worth it. Sounds like it might be.
    We're all in favor of reducing violent crime. It's just that pro-gunners have a method that is proven effective. Anti-gunners don't.
    ---
    John Moses Browning day is January 24th, 2011

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Always wondered what was in those packs anyhow.
    Lotsa ammo, a few broken down (all the extra stuff & packaging discarded) MRE's, and as few items of snivel gear that are really necessary (e.g. extra socks, poncho & poncho liner, etc) BTW "Light Infantry" is an oxymoron (self-contradictory term).

Here is what traveling "light" means: SF team on a long, isolated patrol in the mountains of Afghanistan: Team Leader says--"Good news guys, we get to change underwear: Smith-you change with Jones, Garrison, you change with Barratto...."
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Coder View Post
    $35k per? Wonder what the rounds cost. Yeouch! Hope it's worth it. Sounds like it might be.
    Well purchasing the 12,500 units as stated in the article runs over $437mil. That's a lot to begin with. Now the ammo... A computer chip inside? Got to be pretty expensive.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

VIP Member
    Yeah, it sounds like a lot, but that outfits every infantry squad in the Army (plus SF units) with this weapon. By comparison, a single B2 Bomber cost $737 million (in 1997 dollars) for the plane itself, with a total program cost of $2.13 BILLION per aircraft.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

That thing is ugly.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

Quote Originally Posted by paaiyan View Post
    Well purchasing the 12,500 units as stated in the article runs over $437mil. That's a lot to begin with. Now the ammo... A computer chip inside? Got to be pretty expensive.
    for the record...my paintball gun has a computer chip....cost $75
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

I'm still leery of any weapon that requires batteries. Those who have BTDT know that issue batteries (or proprietary batteries) rarely if at all last as long as advertised past a couple of dozen charges. So now you have to carry heavier ammo and batteries to make it work?
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

VIP Member
    Heavier ammo as compared to what? It's lighter than 40mm ammo, and troops carry that right now...

And yes, batteries are an issue - they always are. However, I'm quite certain that - seeing as they are an integral part of the function of the weapon itself, rather than an ancillary device - they will be produced and distributed en masse, and will be hoarded and maintained meticulously by the operators. If, for whatever reason, there are no batteries available, the XM25 gunner can - one would suppose - draw an M4/M203 and serve as a traditional rifleman/grenadier.

I have mixed feelings about this thing. It is a game changer without a doubt. How much can we change the game before we find ourselves in a game we didn't expect?

We are already dealing with asymmetric warfare on a scale never seen before. If our opponents decide that due to this new weapon they have no hope of engaging even small units with relatively conventional tactics what do we expect them to do? I don't think they are just going to drop their rifles open a Pepsi and start watching MTV. This could be a tipping point that causes them to focus more on taking the battle off of the conventional battlefield and into areas where our technological advantage can be minimized.

The Iraqi military knew that our ROE would not allow the targeting of schools and hospitals. They knew they could not defend against our air power. So what did they do? Put ammo in schools and communications centers in hospitals. They know that the general public here in the states don't like hearing about non combatant deaths. I expect as a result of this new weapon that we will see a shift in their operations from the hills to more populated areas where they can use civilians as human shields.

Either that or focus more of their resources on bringing the war to us in our own homes.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links