Man sentenced to prison under Stolen Valor Act

This is a discussion on Man sentenced to prison under Stolen Valor Act within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; http://tinyurl.com/28h86se SNIP The Las Vegas man said he was "deeply sorry" for his actions, which included fraudulently obtaining a Purple Heart and about $180,000 in ...

VIP Member

http://tinyurl.com/28h86se

SNIP
    The Las Vegas man said he was "deeply sorry" for his actions, which included fraudulently obtaining a Purple Heart and about $180,000 in disability benefits.
    SNIP
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

What they should have done, was enlist him into the United States Marine Corp., and as soon as he had finished his training, however long that took, he could go to Afgan. until he could legally wear that award!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Saw in the article that he said this, ""I take full responsibility for everything I've done," Perelman said. "I brought not only dishonor to the military but to my own family."

Looks like he still only partially "gets it". He didn't bring dishonor to the military, only himself.
    If he was an 'agent' of the military acting badly, it could be seen that it reflected poorly on the military. But in this case "the military" and all those who serve with honor were the victim. His charade doesn't cause them to be seen with dishonor, only himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Las Vegas News
    He pleaded guilty in August to theft of government funds, a felony

So should at least half the members of congress!
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    So should at least half the members of congress!
    That's funny ....

And I agree, he didn't bring dishonor to the military, only to himself and his family. I do like the idea of putting him through Marine BMT and shipping him to Afghanistan though, that would be appropriate punishment. I'd support that in a heartbeat.

I was stationed at Shaw AFB in SC for about six years, working for HQ CENTAF, and worked with a guy that told the whole world that he was former black ops, trained with Seals, the whole nine yards. When he was outed, he was ordered to psych eval and treatment prior to discharge and the Navy Seals put his name on their Wall of Shame ... and it's a shame that wall is no longer visible on line, it was a great resource for outing phonies.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Needs a black eye to go with that purple heart
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmacque View Post
    ... he didn't bring dishonor to the military, only to himself and his family. I do like the idea of putting him through Marine BMT and shipping him to Afghanistan though, that would be appropriate punishment..
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    What they should have done, was enlist him into the United States Marine Corp., and as soon as he had finished his training, however long that took, he could go to Afgan. until he could legally wear that award!
    No dishonor to the military -- only himself and his family.

Please don't try to dishonor my Corps by suggesting he'd fit in and no way that my grandson needs the likes of him covering his flank!
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    No dishonor to the military -- only himself and his family.

Please don't try to dishonor my Corps by suggesting he'd fit in and no way that my grandson needs the likes of him covering his flank!
    No dishonor intended, but he needs to see what is involved with obtaining the Purple Heart!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    No dishonor intended, but he needs to see what is involved with obtaining the Purple Heart!
    No offense taken.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Links