What's the process for the goverment to burn down your house?

This is a discussion on What's the process for the goverment to burn down your house? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The bomb house in California appears to have been a rental, so landlord lost his property. What would be the process for your house to ...

Thread: What's the process for the goverment to burn down your house?

The bomb house in California appears to have been a rental, so landlord lost his property. What would be the process for your house to be seized and destroyed? Is the owner just out of luck?
    I'm not a lawyer or a LEO, just a pantload with a computer.

I would guess they use emminant domain laws to obtain the house. Usually in a case of emminent domain, the owner receives fair market value pluss percentages for other things. They usuall come out reasonable well in the process.
    I can't imagine they could destroy the propertyjust because they wanted to.

Does that still apply when the property is used in a crime? I wouldn't think so. Never heard of someone being given fair market value when property was seized in a crime.

Michael

Hey, at least they built a fire wall around the house so they didn't burn down the rest of the neighborhood. I've seen that happen before!

Remember Philadelphia and the group MOVE in 1985?

Police dropped some incendiary out of a helicopter on a barricaded group of Black Panthers and another group called MOVE in a tenement house which caused a conflagration that ended up burning down over 60 tenement houses and leaving 300 people homeless.

At least someone is learning.

-Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I'm sure the local government and the landlord will work something out, although he may need a lawyer.

But the fact is, there was no other safe way to handle that house, not with the quantity, and types of explosives. Especially not knowing how exactly the ratios and proper procedures of producing them were followed.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

VIP Member
    BIP.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by golfer View Post
    I would guess they use emminant domain laws to obtain the house. Usually in a case of emminent domain, the owner receives fair market value pluss percentages for other things. They usuall come out reasonable well in the process.
    I can't imagine they could destroy the propertyjust because they wanted to.
    No offense intended, but the last three sentences of your post are pretty naive. Where have you been the last 15 years? Eminent domain laws have been used to hose the common man for on a regular basis, usually in order to benefit business enterprises that increase the tax base. So much so that it's sparked lots of nationwide movements to ban any kind of emminent domain seizures by government entities. As far as "they" being able to destroy property because they want to, good luck fighting city hall. Local, state, and federal governments have been seizing, appropriating, confiscating, and destroying private property for quite some time now, usually because "they" simply claim it was drug or other illicitly obtained money. Most of the time it gets converted for use in the local police departments.

mirlm & duce: If the property ws used by the owner to commit a crime, t may become the property of the government in many states. In this case, howeever, the property was used by others and the owner probably had nothing to do with it. The government made the descision to destroy the house and thus becomes responsible.
    I have been here the last 10 years; emminent domain laws require fair market value be paid for property seizd fairly. That does not howsever require the government to pay for loss of business which somethimes can get ugly. In some cases, have seen a business get at least time to relocate or financial support to relocate the physical property to a new location. As in most government dealings, it seems the one who makes the most noise seems to get the most $$$.
    I have seen where property [land and building] where condemed by local government specifically becuse of drug use. They demoed the building and cleared the land. The owner however, was involved in the drug trade and therefore lost the value of the propety and went to jail.
    I don't totally dissagree with you though as like any entity with power, I have also seen where government attempted to abluse their powers. It seems that where there is power, there is also good chances of seeing abuse.

IMO it's just like code enforcement in a small town. People whose houses get torn down = people without any money. People who get "warnings" = people with money. People who get conveniently "not noticed" by the code enforcer = people with lots of money and/or power. And of course, the smart ones tear their own house down before it gets that far, so the city looses tax revenue.

I'm with Duce130 on this one. heh, my dad doesn't even want to remodel the bathroom in their house, because he's seen plans to lay an interstate over their property in the next 10-20 years :P
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

Remember Philadelphia and the group MOVE in 1985?

Police dropped some incendiary out of a helicopter on a barricaded group of Black Panthers and another group called MOVE in a tenement house which caused a conflagration that ended up burning down over 60 tenement houses and leaving 300 people homeless.
    Yep, i remember it very well. MOVE had a big bunker built of railroad ties on the roof. It was not an incediaary device though. It was a 20 pound satchel of C-4 that came from the local US Army EOD unit.

Administrator
    Eminent domain has/had nothing to do with this case, I'll bet my next paycheck on it. I'm sure the house was declared a loss, paid up by insurance and the house was burned by the Illuminati controlled sheriffs office just cause they are mean.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Links