NYPD Exam

This is a discussion on NYPD Exam within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So I am thinking of taking the NYPD exam in February. Its free to take and I have a Wednesday free so I figure I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NYPD Exam

NYPD Exam

So I am thinking of taking the NYPD exam in February. Its free to take and I have a Wednesday free so I figure I mine as well, yeah weak reasoning but why not?. I have downloaded there test prep and plan to go over it. my question is does anyone have any particular advice on what to pay attention to. Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    focus on logical reasoning
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

Quote Originally Posted by XD 45 View Post
    focus on logical reasoning
    It's an NYPD exam....do you expect him to pass with that kind of advice?
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

VIP Member
    So I am thinking of taking the NYPD exam in February. It(')s free to take and I have a Wednesday free(,) so I figure I mine (might) as well,(.) (Y)yeah weak reasoning but why not?. I have downloaded there (their) test prep and plan to go over it. (M)my question is does anyone have any particular advice on what to pay attention to.(?) Thanks in advance.
    Perhaps spelling, grammar, and punctuation would be a good place to start? Just sayin'...

Seriously, attention to detail and strong writing skills will do more for you over the course of a career than cramming for an entrance exam...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Administrator
    If they ask your race, make sure you claim minority status.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Think things out and use tactical reasoning. Do not fill it out with "hero" ideations. Law enforcement is very team and backup oriented. Also on any questions asked about discretion or your integrity, be very hardlined conservative. There will be questions where u will be asked to decide a "grey" issue with "black and white" answers. Be very very conservative. Do not go on what you consider is right based on yor personal beliefs and value, give the "goody two shoes" answer.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I have taken the NYPD entrance exam and passed it. I got DQ'ed in a later stage becasue they said my hearing was bad. It's very basic stuff like reading comprehension, and just common sense stuff. Nothing worth worrying about.

Distinguished Member
    No exam advice but good luck. There is quite the wait to get the call. For the upcoming academy in April I believe they are still calling people that took the test in 08 & 09.

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    Perhaps spelling, grammar, and punctuation would be a good place to start? Just sayin'...

Seriously, attention to detail and strong writing skills will do more for you over the course of a career than cramming for an entrance exam...
    Exactly.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

As on any LE exam; concentrate on sentence structure and recalling details from memory, those two items are big. Good luck Also you will see alot of "which sentence describes the above paragraph".
    One more step and it's on!

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post

First thing I thought of as well. Seems many in the younger generation don't feel spelling, grammar, or punctuation is important. Seeing as most of their potential bosses are not of the younger generation, they'll soon learn that it is.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Work on your grammar! Even if the initial exam is multiple choice, grammar is sure to play a part later. To be blunt, your post that started this thread has errors that OPFOR did not show in his response. There was a saying, in the Twentieth Century, that we put people people in jail with our pens, not our guns. That has changed to computers, but grammar still applies, and keep in mind that "spell check" cannot help with punctuation and sentence structure.

My PD's academy is six months long, but includes no remedial grammar training. Cadets are expected to be able to write complete sentences, use paragraphs, and punctuate properly, before starting the academy.

I understand that, perhaps, you do know grammar, and used informal language here because this is an internet forum.

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    If they ask your race, make sure you claim minority status.
    Yup.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

HAHA very true. Say you are Indian.
    One more step and it's on!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links