Former Metro Nashville Police Officer Convicted of Making False Statements to a Firea

This is a discussion on Former Metro Nashville Police Officer Convicted of Making False Statements to a Firea within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by mcgyver210 There is a major difference between Law Enforcement & all those other professions though. None of them can do what ever ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Former Metro Nashville Police Officer Convicted of Making False Statements to a Firea

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by mcgyver210 View Post
    There is a major difference between Law Enforcement & all those other professions though. None of them can do what ever they want to at the time of an encounter & their word in court isn't given more weight than yours in your word against theirs.
    That and LEO usually have evidence to support their side of the story. We can't forget that little tidbit. Not to mention that an officer has a reputation in the courts that he frequents... but reputations can be good or bad. I go to 16 different courts, which is an unusually high number. The judges and prosecutors call me by my first name. So do a lot of the defense attorneys. Some of them are personal friends outside of work. They know exactly the kind of guy I am, and they know my reputation means a lot more to me than some petty conviction I'd have to lie about to get. They know I don't bring them crap cases. So of course my word is a weighted a bit differently than a defendant off the street.

And I'm sure doctors and nurses can do whatever they want within their realm too, as can most professionals. I do see your point though, LEO can take away your freedom, where others cannot.
    "Just blame Sixto"

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    That and LEO usually have evidence to support their side of the story. We can't forget that little tidbit. Not to mention that an officer has a reputation in the courts that he frequents... but reputations can be good or bad. I go to 16 different courts, which is an unusually high number. The judges and prosecutors call me by my first name. So do a lot of the defense attorneys. Some of them are personal friends outside of work. They know exactly the kind of guy I am, and they know my reputation means a lot more to me than some petty conviction I'd have to lie about to get. They know I don't bring them crap cases. So of course my word is a weighted a bit differently than a defendant off the street.

And I'm sure doctors and nurses can do whatever they want within their realm too, as can most professionals. I do see your point though, LEO can take away your freedom, where others cannot.
    Agreed on some not worth arguing unproductive battle over what I don't agree too tired. Beside we both have our own views on this.

Originally Posted by glockman10mm
    You have bankers who embezzle, nurses who help themselves to patient meds, Doctors who use drugs, Clergy who are pedophiles, Contractors who take short cuts, and on and on. Cant go around hating and being paranoid about people who make bad decisions or you would never go outside your house.
    Nor should society blindly accept that these professionals are there to help us. We should always be suspect of anyone we give such power to.
    Doctors who use drugs
    Clergy who are pedophiles
    Politicians/ government workers
    Teachers
    Police
    We have placed our trust in all of these professions and with that trust have given them the power of judging or policing themselves. If a congressman cheats on his taxes in most cases his fellow congressmen judge him, knowing full well they may need his help in the future. How well did letting the Clergy handle their own go for us? Doctors investigate doctors and police investigate police. There is way to much chance for abuse in all of this. Its only natural to want to protect your own. You do not need to go back to far to find teachers who were found to be pedophiles and allowed to quit and go to another school to teach. After being judged quietly by their peers. Same with police and doctors who were protected by their own.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    Nor should society blindly accept that these professionals are there to help us. We should always be suspect of anyone we give such power to.
    Doctors who use drugs
    Clergy who are pedophiles
    Politicians/ government workers
    Teachers
    Police
    We have placed our trust in all of these professions and with that trust have given them the power of judging or policing themselves. If a congressman cheats on his taxes in most cases his fellow congressmen judge him, knowing full well they may need his help in the future. How well did letting the Clergy handle their own go for us? Doctors investigate doctors and police investigate police. There is way to much chance for abuse in all of this. Its only natural to want to protect your own. You do not need to go back to far to find teachers who were found to be pedophiles and allowed to quit and go to another school to teach. After being judged quietly by their peers. Same with police and doctors who were protected by their own.

Michael
    I agree with what you are saying Michael however I did not get from the post by Glockman that we were to accept this kind of behavior from any member of any of the groups mentioned, only that it happens across the entire spectrum of our society. Punishment should be universal.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    I agree with what you are saying Michael however I did not get from the post by Glockman that we were to accept this kind of behavior from any member of any of the groups mentioned, only that it happens across the entire spectrum of our society. Punishment should be universal.
    Agreed. I did not intend to imply that, if i did I am sorry. I did not mean to place the blame on those who we allow to police themselves Instead I meant to place the blame on those of us who have sat back and accepted it. Policing your own sounds good but in practice leads to corruption.

Michael

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    That kind of takes the "gun show" purchases out of the equation, doesn't it.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by Sample View Post
    You will be surprise on how many are liers!
    Who do you mean, cops or guys from Tennessee?
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Quote Originally Posted by mcgyver210 View Post
    WOW I can't believe a LEO lied I am so shocked ROFL LOL

Seriously this type of thing shows No LEO, Judge etc deserves to have their word taken over a civilians just because they are a LEO, Judge etc. It also shows when they cross the line of extreme trust & immunities afforded them they should be held to a much higher standard with appropriate punishment.

Bad LEOs, Judges etc are bad for all the good ones.

Hey I am no LIAR! :-)
    One more step and it's on!

Quote Originally Posted by dripster View Post
    Hey I am no LIAR! :-)
    I'm guessing your not a BAD LEO, Judge etc either :<)

I have no problem with disenting opinion, or critical looks at what's wrong with our society. What I do have a problem with is those who only complain, but never engage the issue other than talking about it. We all know people like that.

Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    Who do you mean, cops or guys from Tennessee?
    Both!
    I trained everyday and will be ready for the day that I have to defend myself or my family!

VIP Member
    I don't necessarily hold LE to any higher standard than what I would expect of myself. LEO's are accountable for their actions as I am for what I do in business.

In this particular case, the article states that the defendant was a Former Metro Police officer. Most cops don't just quit their jobs, especially in a poor economy. We don't know why he was a former policeman however it is reasonable to assume that his decision was not voluntary. What transpired further is anyones guess. For whatever reason, he illegally bought guns, apparently through a dealer he thought was safe to deal with.

My guess is that the dealer was probably not 100% clean either. At some point, either the dealer approached the ATF or ATF approached the dealer. Again, for reasons unknown from this press release. Why did the cop purchase illegal guns? He had a motive, but what was it?
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Was not there and i did not watch the trial. Fact is that the perp was found guilty by a jury of his peers: End of case. It matters not if the guy was Joe Six Pack, a janitor, a preacher or a cop: A bad guy is off the street.

BTW: The cop was one of five men indicted in a gun smuggling scheme.

NASHVILLE, Tenn. - Five Guatemalan nationals have been indicted on gun smuggling charges after a year long investigation in Nashville. One of the men was a former Metro police officer.

Officials named Julio Cesar Rojas-Lopez, Donald Efren Franco, Denis Franco, Luis Armando Monterroso Pineda and Edwing Ronal Morales in the indictment. Morales was a police trainee since April 2007. His employment was terminated Sept. 15, 2009.

A Metro police report concerning a disciplinary hearing for Morales said he claimed he was buying the guns for a friend. According to Morales the friend said he needed the guns to protect his wife and children in Guatemala. Police did not buy the excuse.

"This is what happens if you engage in this type of behavior. You can expect to be terminated, and you can expect to be indicted. If everything goes right you can expect to spend many years in prison," said Metro police chief Ronal Serpas.

http://www.newschannel5.com/story/11...ggling-charges

http://www.newschannel5.com/story/13...smuggling-case

IMO: There is nothing wrong with a firearms dealer reporting an illegal act to the BATFE.

Apparently, there are alot of good honest ones out there to catch and charge one of their own.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links