Current or retired LEO; Whats the most annoying/aggravating call type you get

This is a discussion on Current or retired LEO; Whats the most annoying/aggravating call type you get within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just yesterday I got perhaps my most annoying call of all time.........A "keep the peace" call between two late twenties married people who have been ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Current or retired LEO; Whats the most annoying/aggravating call type you get

VIP Member
    Just yesterday I got perhaps my most annoying call of all time.........A "keep the peace" call between two late twenties married people who have been separated for several months. The wife wants to come back to the house to pick up some of her things, and wants an Officer there to help her stay safe.
    I got the address and his phone number and gave him a call to let him know how this was going to work. (I had previously said the same things to her over the phone) I arrived about 2 minutes before she did, the MOMENT she drove up and opened her door........the arguing started.
    I stopped them both and told her that she has 15 minutes to gather her things and go. I am not a babysitter, especially for grown people. (I couldn't bring myself to call them adults)
    The most entertaining part was when she grabbed an item of seemingly no value and said she was taking it because it's hers. The guy immediately freaked out and said " That's not yours, I gave that to you!" I told him that if he gave it to her, it is hers and she can take it. He said, "I gave it to her, I can take it back." I thought I may have to physically restrain him from trying to take it back from her.

I was unaware when I decided I wanted to be a Police Officer that I was signing up to become a babysitter. I knew it's not like "COPS", but I had no idea just how stupid people REALLY are.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Hotguns, I knew it was balloons after the first paragraph....
    Balloons?

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by highvoltage View Post
    Balloons?
    See post 13.
    "Just blame Sixto"

What shocked me when I was new was the existance of the "underworld" Not many people who havent worked the over night hours tour dont understand or even realize the existance of the other side. Creepy crawly things really do come out at night. Most people would be shocked to learn what roams their streets at night, even in their little quiet towns.
    Kind of like being a probation/parole officer...people think the bad guys go to JAIL. They dont think they are on their roof installing shingles or remodeling their bathroom, or fixing their family dinner at a restaurant, or just walking past them at Walmart. If people only knew.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    See post 13.
    Ah, I was thinking of his second post about the dogs. I was thinking it was a new euphemism for dog pooh.

Getting a call from a mother saying she can not make her 9 year son go to school. I asked her if she wanted to borrow my belt to persuade him. Really she was the the one who needed the belt. I could see me telling my parents I did want to go to school. I would be standing up all day at school!

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    ... Around thirty or forty guns both long arms and handguns immediately were pointed out the windows of the bus at the motor officer, who, startled, nearly crashed his motorcycle. It was rumored that he lost his sense of humor after the incident.

A true story, I was on the bus.
    ROTFLMAO. I just bet he reformed.

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    A young motor officer was riding along next to a bus an a surface boulevard one evening around 7:00 pm and decided that it would be cute to scare the people on the bus. By turning off and on the ignition of his motorcycle he was able to cause a loud bang, which he thought would really scare the people on the bus.

There were several problems with his ill conceived humor. The date was August 14, 1965. The bus was a prisoner transportation bus loaded with around 80 heavily armed officers enroute to foot deployment in central Watts. Around thirty or forty guns both long arms and handguns immediately were pointed out the windows of the bus at the motor officer, who, startled, nearly crashed his motorcycle. It was rumored that he lost his sense of humor after the incident.

A true story, I was on the bus.

I bet he had to make a bee line to the car wash to hose off the saddle of his Harley!
    So in essence, everyone on the bus probably got the last laugh! Too Funny!
    Last edited by Bark'n; January 11th, 2011 at 05:32 AM. Reason: fixed a typo
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

While I'm not a LEO I did work as a fast food manager many years ago in a section of town that was fairly rough. One night (it was a slow night) a car pulls in and two males exit thei car and come in the store with tire tools. I'm thinking oh crap we are getting rob, so I start reaching for the phone. Well as soon as these 2 people enter the store they start fighting and hitting each other with the tire tool, and they are going at it pretty good. Well I just continue call the police. When the officer enters and sees them fighting he pulls his weapon and yells "drop'em or I drop you". Two clangs instantly and the two males prone themselfs out before the officer can say another word. He then covers them and waits for backup to arrive. After the two males are in the back of the patrol car I ask one of the office if he would ask them why they came in the store like buddies and then went to fighting. Their answer was they didn't want to get wet cause it was raining. DUH!

I can say this I tryed to stay friends with all the LEOs that woked that area, if they came in to eat or get coffee they never paid for any of it. If I learned of a new drug house that sprang up I'd let them know about it and stuff like that.

Sorry if I hijacked the thread but LEOs are not the only ones that meet crazies daily.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    On windy nights, when a cold front has blown in, we get a lot of burglary-in-progress and panic-alarm calls, from folks who insist it is a real home invasion, until we show them otherwise. Usually, it is untrimmed shrubbery and trees beating against their houses, and/or loose windows and doors rattling.

Sadly, too many younger officers seem s-l-o-w to learn this, and drive far too fast, busting intersections, to get to these bogus calls.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, of course, the domestic assault calls are aggravating, especially with our "frequent fliers." Now that I am the fingerprint/photo unit for my division and shift, I get to go to far more of these than before, but at least I am just the photographer, and don't have to handle the whole mess as often. Texas law now allows us to arrest for domestic assault if probable cause exists, even if the complainant does not want to prosecute.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hate one new trend, which is to keep folks on the line, with a dispatch supervisor, while they follow a drunk driver. We are dodging drunks to try to catch up to a drunk, while encouraging the caller to try to chase a drunk driver, controlling their own car with one hand. Can anyone spell l-i-a-b-i-l-i-t-y? I understand the liability involved in doing nothing about one particular DUI, but what will happen when an officer en route to such a call kills a family? Or, when a person on line with dispatch, following a DUI, kills themselves or a family? One of my recent trainees told me how his previous trainer had driven about 15 miles at 85 MPH through busy urban evening traffic on an interstate highway loop to try to catch up to a DUI being followed by a caller! I just shook my head, at a loss for words.

One good thing about my being the fingerprint/photo unit is that I am rarely dispatched to patrol calls. To keep my stats up, I will volunteer for patrol calls, including citizens following DUIs, but I drive at moderate speed, perhaps not even exceeding the speed limit, and max 5-10 over. If the DUI has a ten-mile head start, and leaves our jurisdiction before I can catch up, so be it.

Rant: I won't drive 85 MPH unless I know for sure there is a real emergency, and only on open stretches of freeway. On a few really wide, level stretches, with good lighting and lines of sight, I may do 120+ for brief moments, if I really KNOW someone needs help fast, but I slow way down for overpasses and such. I cannot help someone if I don't get there, and I take resources away from the original incident if emergency responders have to come to my aid.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hate working traffic control for big freeway pile-ups! I usually do respond, voluntarily and quickly, because good traffic control, set up quickly, saves lives and prevent further damage, plus it seems all too few younger officers understand how to set up good traffic control. OTOH, it is the scariest thing I do, in which I have time to be scared while I am doing it. I also have to worry about $4000-$5000 of my own equipment being destroyed when a fast-moving idiot plows into my patrol car. (cameras, high-end lenses, carbine, spare duty handgun) A week before Christmas 2009, a sober but inattentive motorist continued in a straight line and crashed right into my then-very-new Crown Vic, which was blocking the left lane of a SEVEN-lane freeway, in spite of there being no traffic in the other lanes to impede her from moving over to the right, and in spite of her having a clear line-of-sight of my strobes for about half a mile. She laid 125 feet of skid marks! Her skid marks STARTED about where I had been standing, laying a flare pattern. I had to step out of her way! At the time, I was blocking traffic for two other collisions: A constable unit had stopped to block traffic for one collision, and then his patrol car was smashed by an inattentive motorist.

Luckily through a combination of events, I did not have valuable equipment in the trunk of my Crown Vic that night. I had just left a hospital, where I had been guarding a prisoner, so I had not yet loaded all of my usual equipment into the patrol car, plus I was not yet the photo unit. My spare duty pistol took the impact OK.
    Last edited by Rexster; January 11th, 2011 at 03:00 PM. Reason: clarifications

Senior Moderator
    I absolutley hate stopping on I-40 for the reasons mentioned above.

That place can get you killed as quicky as anything out there....
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    I had to go through Seattle a few months back and saw those huge crash pillows guarding the road work. Had to scratch my head a bit about them actually being needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Tala View Post
    Wow, that's just wow that they don't think it's a danger. Ammonia build up is particularly hard on chickens, basic rule of thumb is if your coop smells "like animals live here" it's acceptable, but if it reeks of ammonia someone is BOUND come down with respiratory issues. I know humans are tougher than birds, but sheesh, how bad does it really have to be before they consider it "dangerous"
    That's just gross ugh
    Unfortunately, I have to deal with mental health issues in my family.

To answer your question, in most areas there has to be an "imminent" threat to someone's life or health before you can lock someone in the psych ward involuntarily.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Doing a traffic detail after the St Patrick's Day parade, I was momentarily stopping pedestrians from crossing the street so I could safely clear cars from an intersection. A male approaches and yells "pedestrians have the right of way!" I asked him, "If you were driving, and the light was green, but an officer told you to stop, would you still keep going?" He didn't have an answer.

Another pet peeve - drivers who approach a traffic control point at night with their high-beams on.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Traffic can be a real PITA.
    I was on a foot patrol on a busy cruising night mingling in and out of traffic. I noticed several pedetrians trying to cross and uncontrolled intersection. I got into the intersection and flashed my flashlight on and off and put up my arm to stop traffic. One lane stopped, but the driver of a car in the other lane did not. He looked directly at me, grinned and continued through the intersection. I whirled around to get his license number and in doing so my Kel Light happened to strike the top of the rear fender of his mega dollar paint job. The car came to an immediate stop. I chastised the driver for his failure to stop and apologized for any damage to his vehicle. The next vehicle remained stopped until I got the pedestrians across the intersection.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links